Thread: Double Handed Farallones - crew

Default Double Handed Farallones - crew

Anyone interested in the double handed Farallones, March 31st on Xpression?

Dirk Husselman
    Xpression (C&C 110)
    dirk.husselman@gmail.com

Wow, a coincidence. Yesterday I was googling for information about synoptic wind in the Gulf of the Farallones and got a few hits about the 1982 Double Handed Farallones race. I learned that in 1982, 30 years ago this year, seven boats were lost and six people died in that race. Most interesting was an analysis done by someone at UC Davis that described the day in pretty good detail. Worth a read for anyone who dosen't understand how quickly things can go very bad.

Were any of my fellow geezers out there that day?

Bill Merrick

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    Wow, a coincidence. Yesterday I was googling for information about synoptic wind in the Gulf of the Farallones and got a few hits about the 1982 Double Handed Farallones race. I learned that in 1982, 30 years ago this year, seven boats were lost and six people died in that race. Most interesting was an analysis done by someone at UC Davis that described the day in pretty good detail. Worth a read for anyone who dosen't understand how quickly things can go very bad.

Bill Merrick
    Can you post some links?

EDIT: I found this, http://www.nwas.org/digest/papers/19...-Duckworth.pdf
    Last edited by pogen; 02-05-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Bill, thanks for the link. As you said, a very interesting recap of how quickly things can turn ugly.

I was impressed by the combined challenge posed by wind, current, and "square" waves on those boats caught out late in the afternoon. It became impossible for some to make it back to the Gate, and once blown north of the Gate staying off the lee shore became a life or death struggle.

It is easy for me to say now, but it looks like being prepared to stay at sea when faced with a building gale may be a worthy Plan B for those making a trip to the Farallones. Well, if not a Plan B then at least something to keep in mind.
    Richard
    Libations Too

Quote Originally Posted by dhusselman View Post
    Anyone interested in the double handed Farallones, March 31st on Xpression?

dirk.husselman@gmail.com
    Hi I might be interested. Just relocated to the bay area from Norway where I own and helm an x-35. Over the last three years we have also competed in double handed regattas with this boat (successfully in light winds, less so when the winds have picked up due to the relatively large rig and lack of autopilot). Have also raced X-412 and first 34.7 and 40.7s fully creed and short handed earlier.

Please send me a message at andreas dot eieleand (a) gmail dot com if you are interested in sailing with a stranger.

Best regards
    Andreas

I was part of the DH Farallones race in 1982. We were on a Merit 25 and discovered a couple of things on the race. We were being forced up into Drakes Bay and thought we might end up on the beach, but in strong southerly weather the current on the south side of the bay sets to the west and we were able to clear the point. The boat was awash inside with water up to the seat level due poor seals on the cockpit seat lockers. When heeled the water simply drained through and we had to bail with buckets. Lost the VHF due to the flooding and decided to sail offshore until sunrise. We were the last boat in.

Quote Originally Posted by kraesjib View Post
    Hi I might be interested. Just relocated to the bay area from Norway where I own and helm an x-35. Over the last three years we have also competed in double handed regattas with this boat (successfully in light winds, less so when the winds have picked up due to the relatively large rig and lack of autopilot). Have also raced X-412 and first 34.7 and 40.7s fully creed and short handed earlier.

Please send me a message at andreas dot eieleand (a) gmail dot com if you are interested in sailing with a stranger.

Best regards
    Andreas
    Hi Andeas,

I have crew for the double-handed farallones. I tried to e-mail you but your e-mail address doesn't seem correct. Please feel free to contact me for future racing, of just to have a beer to welcome you to the bay area (I'm a transplant from N. Europe myself).
    dirk.husselman@gmail.com

Default Yikes!

I had read this thread prior to last Saturday's Dble Farralones. The knowledge I gained influenced my decision to not start. Anyone else from March 31st comment on similaritys to 1982? SDK

Default DHF 82- Duckworth report link

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post

Were any of my fellow geezers out there that day?

Bill Merrick
    I know a few, I'll let them out themselves. Its 4 in the race btw. 6 sailors in the storm. And I hate bodycounts ...but...lets be accurate. Sect 6 Incident summary and conclusions for those in a hurry. http://www.nwas.org/digest/papers/19...-Duckworth.pdf

See Kimball http://blueplanettimes.com/?p=8844

Its one of the reasons why safety and weather forecasts were so much a focus this year.