Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a New Boat

Default Need a New Boat

Well, I'm not going to chop up Dura Mater in order to sail in our offshore races, but I don't like being left behind, either. So, help me find a Bristol 24 or a Cape Dory 25 and you may all stay ahead of me for awhile yet.

Of course I'm looking there. But sometimes there's a perfect boat just down the dock from your boat ... hmmmm, you say to yourself, don't I know somebody who was looking for that kind of boat ... ? Oh yeah ...

Bob, I forgot to say "thank you".

'Twas read between the lines.

The Bristol is in your back yard but that Cape Dory with inboard looks pretty sweet. I think there's a CD 25 at Marina Village in Alameda if you wanted a preview. Any SSS'ers at Gate 8 or Gate 9 remember seeing it?

Still looking. Maybe a Cal 25 or a Pearson Ariel? I'll look at anything short and solid with a high ballast/displacement ratio. Cape Dory is a bit more than I'm willing to pay. I'll be spending to improve any older boat, so I'd rather have the money for stouter rigging, a windvane and tiller pilot.

At 25 feet I'd try to find an Olson. It's not an ultralight like the O30 - D/L ratio is over 150 (actually 154) and about 40% B/D. These are solid boats that sail well, have good cockpits, have some room inside and look good. At least one has done the SHTP.

An O25 would be a good choice. But the best bargain might be an SC27. Solid and strong and has a 50% B/D ratio. And the things seem to get cheaper every year. Off the cuff I would guess the O25 and the SC27 could be found for similar prices. Good luck in your hunt.

don't discount the Moore 24. sails are cheap, 50% ballast ratio, loads are small, easy to handle, cheap to store, etc etc. they can be great values as well, and they're easy to resell. Moore <3

Cool

I haven't been in the market for a long time, so I'm not really up to speed in this area. But, were I looking, I'd add one more boat to the others mentioned: The Express 27. It has always intrigued me...never sailed one,
    I've just seen it as a transpac competitor.