Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a New Boat

Thank you for commenting, General, John S and Ronnie. The Express 27, the SC27 and Moore 24 are all beautiful, powerful and sleek boats and I, too, enjoy watching them cut through the water (always way in front of me). They are certainly in a different class than a full keel boat like the Ariel. I'm trying to be patient, waiting for just the right boat for me. Not a lot of boats on Craigslist recently. I've got feelers out to the different associations. Any tip would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-17-2012 at 09:44 AM.

There is a $4500 Wylie Hawkfarm on Carigslist up in Vallejo right now.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/2853841688.html

I doubt it will last long.

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Haven't been in the market for a long time, but have been very intrigued by the Express 27's. They don't come up for sale often, but do turn up on the Express 27 home site from time to time:

http://express27.org/msgs/?f=2

(I probably shouldn't say so because I still secretly want to buy one myself!)

Look alive right now! express 27 #14 just went up for sale asking $17,500.
    express27.org

Jackie,
    Have you seen the Yankee 30 for sale on craig list. No it's not a full keeler but is almost as solid and reliable. $7-8k would be a fair offer.
    Good luck!
    ed

Ed,
    I really appreciate you keeping an eye out for me. Yes, that boat looks like a really good boat for a stronger person than me. I am struggling to stay under 28' and it has not been easy. Sailed a 26' Dutch boat, a Contest, over the weekend which did not work for me. Too heavy and ponderous. Bob Johnston passed us coming and going in Ragtime! I"ve looked at lots of boats: Two Ranger 23s, 3 decrepit Pearson Ariels, that Contessa over in Richmond, that Bristol 24 on the trailer in Richmond, a Westerly Cirrus over in Sausalito and a Cal 2-25 in Oyster Bay. Even similar boats can be so dissimilar! With help from friends I know I'll find the right boat to configure so I can chase all you big boys and girls around those stinky rocks.

Ah, that WAS you! I still think you should sail an Olson 25. Do you know anyone at OCSC who could take you out on one of their's? Life's too short to sail slow boats.

Poor Rags feels like a hamster running in a cage - she wants to be down Bay or better, in the ocean. Patience!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Thank you for commenting, General, John S and Ronnie. The Express 27, the SC27 and Moore 24 are all beautiful, powerful and sleek boats and I, too, enjoy watching them cut through the water (always way in front of me). They are certainly in a different class than a full keel boat like the Ariel. I'm trying to be patient, waiting for just the right boat for me. Not a lot of boats on Craigslist recently. I've got feelers out to the different associations. Any tip would be appreciated.
    Can you tell me more about the Moore 24? Is it a good single-handed boat or is it a handful to sail solo? It has almost a 50% B/D ratio so I would guess it is stable. (Is that right?) I think I read somewhere online that it's concept was to take a Cal 20 and stretch it out (without making it heavier) to get a faster boat. Apparently, it worked.

It looks like Philpott bought a Cal 2-27 instead. What are the pros and cons of the two boats?

Richard

The New Dura Mater Cal 2-27 is a tank. I feel like I'm sailing a condominium compared with a Cal 20. And the Moore 24? That's like a flexible flyer on a steep icy New Hampshire hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    The New Dura Mater Cal 2-27 is a tank. I feel like I'm sailing a condominium compared with a Cal 20. And the Moore 24? That's like a flexible flyer on a steep icy New Hampshire hill.

Thank you for the comparison. I see from earlier posts that you tried a lot of boats. Were there any close runners-up to the Cal 2-27? Are the Olson 25, SC 27, and Express 27 more like the Moore 24? How about the Cal 2-25 and Pearson Ariel? As you might have guessed, I am also looking for a small single-handed boat, however I have little experience to draw upon.

Richard