Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Three Bridge Fiasco

I second that sentiment. Outstanding job by the race deck and everyone involved in setting a temporary mark for Blackaller and making sure that things went smoothly. Thanks a bunch.

Okay, Rob, I've already been pluggin' for this with Matt. He's gonna edit my obscenities and other comments -- I sound soooooooooooooooo Southern -- and hopefully put together something funny as well.

Now the start, we haven't watched yet. Basically the video was pointed on the line and that's it. The finish? Matt got a great video of the first two and then it goes stationary again.

About Pier 39 and your question, Bob, I was contacted by radio, channel 69 and I think I switched them to 68. I can't remember. Anyway, the gentleman identified himself and later repeated his identification and the woman didn't say who she was. I assumed (oh, I hate to do that) they were either Blue and Gold or Red and White, not necessarily the ferries 'cause the man immediately said Pier 39. In fact, it never ever occurred to me it could be a ferry so . . .

Thanks too for the kudos. Matt and I need them right now big time! Max and Jackie have been fielding emails all day too so . . .

Default Race Committee...you're the Best!

Jan (Darl'in) and Company...thanks for getting us the best weather and then mixing up the wind direction to keep us on our toes. This has to be one of the toughest races to manage. Hang in there...My guess that the boats restricted may be restricted based on width, not depth. By the way, my friend is President of the Bay Pilot's Association, Mike Miller. I would be happy to ask for his, or his pilots, insights to commercial traffic and racing on the bay. I have some other ideas when you're ready for a glass of wine and some brain storm'in. That's it for now Darl'in...See you on the 8th. Brian S/V Gavilan

Default Great Job on Race Deck

Jan - I stand with the others! Great Race Deck as usual. And I thought you did a great job with the Ferry Folk! I heard most or all of that conversation and I thought you were so polite and handled them very well and yes I had visions of you swearing up a blue streak but being careful to only do it when the mike wasn't keyed!

Tony

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Hi Jan and All,

Perhaps the conflict with the ferry/tourist boat/whatever can be reviewed at the trophy meeting?

After reading the regulations, I still don't think we are required to give way to these smaller commercial passenger boats (the high speed ferries, Alcatraz ferries, tour boats, and Hornblower-esque booze cruise vessels), though it is so often done out of prudence or courtesy that the operators of these vessels may have come to assume (oh that word!) that they have right-of-way. After all, a city bus is not allowed to change lanes and run you over in your car, just because it can!

Of course big freighters and tankers are entirely another matter.

I heard there was an interesting presentation on the history of the 3BF (or the SSS itself?) at the skipper's meeting, which I missed. Could this be made available, maybe via a link on the website? My boat under the previous owner was overall winner way back in 1992 or something, though I am not perpetuating the legacy all that well.

David, there were some fun anecdotes from Dan Newland, Pat Broderick and Gordie Nash. No A/V aids unfortunately. Unless someone was taking notes, there's nothing to post.

Incidentally, we had nothing to do with setting the substitute for Blackaller. My best guess is that GGYC set it out some time ago for their midwinters. Thanks anyway to Nick Salvador who rigged up a buoy for us, and Scott Easom who took it out to drop it, then wisely decided it would be confusing to have two temporary marks in close proximity.
    Last edited by Critter; 01-31-2012 at 01:53 PM.

As if I weren't having a hard enough time rounding Blackaller IN THE DARK, my first time on the City Front IN THE DARK, this is where I finally found it: N37 48.521 W 122 27.890. I reached out with my little handheld ETrex and almost touched it. IN THE DARK. Boy, are there alot of things to hit out there!

Default 3BF and ferry horns

Are we positive it was even one of our boats? I just happened to be "sailing" (read drifting) out near the Oakland side of the bay bridge when I heard the call over the radio and the 5 horn blast and a bunch more commotion and looking over in the area of the ferry I thought "what the hell, none of our boats are even in that area it couldn't be one of us". So I just went about drifting and watching 339 boats going the "right" way around. Really? One of ours?
    CAL Twenty-Nine

Here is a video that shows the crowd at Blackaller for the clockwise boats.

Todd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGEqo...xxoxIFZiN5fnlc

And here's another link for race photos, from Jeremy Leonard of Surf City Racing.

http://surfcityracing.smugmug.com/Bo...7310&k=bCQtzcp