Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three Bridge Fiasco Preliminary Results Updates

I registered 334 boats for the Fiasco, and every single skipper with whom I communicated was pleasant and civil. However, even though it is a nice advertisement for SSS, most one time participants (and there were many) had no intention of joining the SSS. They just wanted to participate in the circus. I think this should be a full membership decision, not one made by the board. Personally I wouldn't mind handing it over to YRA, and not because it was alot of work. Besides, I don't think the SSS ever meant to become a money making concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I registered 334 boats for the Fiasco, and every single skipper with whom I communicated was pleasant and civil. However, even though it is a nice advertisement for SSS, most one time participants (and there were many) had no intention of joining the SSS. They just wanted to participate in the circus. I think this should be a full membership decision, not one made by the board. Personally I wouldn't mind handing it over to YRA, and not because it was alot of work. Besides, I don't think the SSS ever meant to become a money making concern.
    I don't think anyone is making money. But the organization needs funds to support itself. Imagine what we could do if we could raise enough funds to have a RC boat (small whaler) or contribute enough to one of the clubs to be able to use theirs and have access to marks? It is also nice to be able to provide lunch for the race deck volunteers if we had sufficient funds for it, or plant spotter boats around the restricted areas, etc, etc. Again, I'm not suggesting we become a for profit organization, but don't give away the cow that could provide us some improvements and long term viability.

Could we partner with YRA for some profit sharing if they ran our registration??? well, that is a thought if both parties are interested (I do think we have a vested interest in supporting the YRA). But with the improvements with online registration, is it needed (I do know what it is to have to manually enter the database for 300 boats, been there).

Anyways, open forum...

Cheers

The ephemeral nature of this organization is part of its very wonderful appeal. When you write "small whaler" I think: Maintenance, storage, trailer licensing, insurance. In whose driveway would we keep it? Who would bring it to every race? That's what yacht clubs are for!
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-22-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    Could we partner with YRA for some profit sharing if they ran our registration?
    That skipped right past the point. Are you saying you'd be open to SSS running the single-handed 3BF as a separate race? If so, it would be asking a lot for the SSS to run two races and it would make sense to hand the double-handed 3BF to the YRA.

Regarding the financial impact, if this brought the single-handers back out the SSS race could break even. That's all we need - each race just needs to break even.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    That skipped right past the point. Are you saying you'd be open to SSS running the single-handed 3BF as a separate race? If so, it would be asking a lot for the SSS to run two races and it would make sense to hand the double-handed 3BF to the YRA.

Regarding the financial impact, if this brought the single-handers back out the SSS race could break even. That's all we need - each race just needs to break even.
    Hi Bob,

I'm not as offended by the large numbers of double-handed entries. After racing for many years purely in the singlehanded division, the double handed division has opened the door to race against new skipper/boats in often a more competitive fleets (not necessarily talking about skill, just the number of boats). Would many of them do singlehanded if it was the only option, perhaps. I would still come out and play if it was SH only. I have also lucked out with great crew and has been fun to have someone else onboard.

I'd like to think that there is something about the SSS running the race that attracts the large fleet. I certainly take some pride as a member and ex-officer of the organization. But perhaps it would be just as popular if it was run by the YRA as part of the Party Circuit.

"I'm not as offended by the large numbers of double-handed entries."

I'm not offended by them - they're just hard on the Awlgrip.

Jackie yes, having ADD is a requirement for membership. Why else would we race solo around the Farallones more than once?