Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handicap for race

Interesting . The norcal phrf rc put a lot of work into downwind ratings. They are in line with what goes on in other venues around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Any chance we can get a look at the re scored results using the downwind ratings?
    Cheers

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

OMG, my boat does not have a "com shift". Is that why my rating is so bad?

You guys might be interested to know that the Spinnaker Cup is using the standard PHRF ratings this year, not the downwind ones.

And you are right, the Pac Cup uses a formula derived from the new Downwind ratings, not the old PC 'adjustments'. Though I have been told that the DW ratings had the 'adjustments' as their starting points.

Just be glad that you are now racing a certain Baltic 37 with its DW rating, which I heard was 135. Sheesh!

I'm fairly new to racing and I really don't get the ratings at all. Here in the NW my PHRF rating is 114, in NorCal (I got rated for the last PacCup) it was 78. The forms were filled out by my sailmaker and checked by me. After being pretty disappointed by my performance in the Pac Cup I appealed the Nor Cal rating and it was changed to 90. I'm regularly thrashed in local races here in the NW as my boat (built to the first IOR rule 1971) is totally set up for cruising. I'm not whining as I still have a good time (with some attitude adjustment) but a rating that varies in different areas by over 25 percent is...silly. Let me repeat, I'm not whining (but probably will soon).
    The boat is Scaramouche by the way, entered in the SHTP this year

Peter, PacCup uses a different rating system than we do - that may be the reason for the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by peter00 View Post
    I'm fairly new to racing and I really don't get the ratings at all. Here in the NW my PHRF rating is 114, in NorCal (I got rated for the last PacCup) it was 78. The forms were filled out by my sailmaker and checked by me. After being pretty disappointed by my performance in the Pac Cup I appealed the Nor Cal rating and it was changed to 90. I'm regularly thrashed in local races here in the NW as my boat (built to the first IOR rule 1971) is totally set up for cruising. I'm not whining as I still have a good time (with some attitude adjustment) but a rating that varies in different areas by over 25 percent is...silly. Let me repeat, I'm not whining (but probably will soon).
    The boat is Scaramouche by the way, entered in the SHTP this year
    Probably of more concern isn't the variation, but the variation against boats you usually race against. For example, boats I rate against rate slower in all conditions in Nor Cal while in every other venue in the US they rate the same or faster. The adoption of the down wind rating at least resolved that for downwind races, however the Nor Cal scene can't seem to agree with the considerable work done by the Nor Cal PHRF committee to adopt this rating system.

Good luck in the race.

BRian