Thread: Hatch board lock

Default Hatch board lock

Somewhere a long time ago I saw boat with the companionway board and sliding hatch locked down by pulling on a spectra cord and locking in a cam cleat. You could lock it while inside or outside. Anyone have this set up or know what I mean?

That's how mine works but just for the drop boards. I use fast pins (from inside or outside) to secure the slider.

I think Synthia's is similar. I hope to be at the EYC "weigh in" next Saturday if you want to stop by and take a look.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I used a spring loaded gate latch to implement this -- there is a writeup with photos on my blog here: http://neversealand.downtothesea.org...nt-hatchboard/

One cannot be trapped inside or out side, you can close the hatch with the board in place, and there is a separate tether to keep it attached to the boat.

The boat is up at the rigger's now so I don't know if it will be at the float-in, but I will be there.

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at Eyrie's system as she is just down the docks from me. I like Pogens idea and may be able to incorporate something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post

I think Synthia's is similar. I hope to be at the EYC "weigh in" next Saturday if you want to stop by and take a look.
    Nope, I used a big hunk of Velcro.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

The pin through the sliding hatch is the simplest approach. To explain a little... put the hatch boards in - and pull the sliding hatch closed (which typically locks the hatch boards in. Now you just need to lock in the sliding hatch. On most boats, you can now drill a single hole - say 1/8 or 3/16 inch in diameter - on a horizontal trajectory beamwise - through the sliding hatch into the hatch track area and through to the inside of the boat. Get yourself two each long enough to go all the way through the hole - and have one on a string on the outside and one on a string inside. If outside, you can stick the outside pin in the small hole you drilled to lock down the hatch (pushing the pin on the inside out should you have a crazy crew person below trying to keep you from going below). If on the inside, you can stick the inside pin into the same hole to lock down the hatches (pushing the pin on the outside out if your crazy crew person is outside and has you locked in). Of course you can leave the crazy crew person out of the picture as a single hander. :-)

So all you need is to drill a single hole, have two pins and a little bit of line. This approach is quick to put away when you get home and near invisible when you aren't out on the ocean.