Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 TP Qualifier

101 did her qualifier. Spent a day in a gale and hit 17.8 under double reef and storm jib. At least it was a quick-ish qualifier.

Sorry for not trying to organize something bu t this was last minute and my ssb wasn't working and I had no sat phone, so I couldn't have communicated anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    Sorry for not trying to organize something bu t this was last minute and my ssb wasn't working and I had no sat phone, so I couldn't have communicated anyways.
    Congratulations Ronnie!

36 hours.. Hopefully this weather settles and we can head south for some warm weather and trades

Hi guys,
    This seems like a good group to get some inputs on wind strengths in longpac/hawaii races. Specifically curious about the afternoon/evening squalls but overall race as well. I'm pretty familiar with winds in local coastal races such as DHF. Looking to expand my knowledge base in the long pac/hawaii races- particularly above/below 34 knts wind strength (sustained, gusts, max etc). If you could point to a better thread for this topic, let me know. I didn't want to create a new one- maybe I should?
    Much appreciated! Thanks!
    Bob
    Last edited by K38Bob; 01-05-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Bob, have you read Stan Honey's article about squall management? I think it's on the Pacific Cup website. It was right-on in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Bob, have you read Stan Honey's article about squall management? I think it's on the Pacific Cup website. It was right-on in my experience.
    Thanks. I did attend an SSS talk where he presented it. http://2012.pacificcup.org/stan-honeys-weather-advice
    Doesn't talk about wind strength. I'm interested in wind reports/forecasts of 34+ knots.

It would be rare to have squalls in a LongPac - squalls are more of a tropical/tradewinds feature. As for LongPac wind strengths, somewhere between blowing like crap and nothing. In my last one I saw 34 knots for parts of it but high twenties was more the norm that year (after the drift-fest along the coast).

During a Summer Hawaii race I would only expect to see 34 knots IN a squall, not the rest of the time, and with good gear you could mostly avoid them if that was necessary. The two years I raced, I doubt I ever saw 30 knots, even during a squall.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It would be rare to have squalls in a LongPac - squalls are more of a tropical/tradewinds feature. As for LongPac wind strengths, somewhere between blowing like crap and nothing. In my last one I saw 34 knots for parts of it but high twenties was more the norm that year (after the drift-fest along the coast).

During a Summer Hawaii race I would only expect to see 34 knots IN a squall, not the rest of the time, and with good gear you could mostly avoid them if that was necessary. The two years I raced, I doubt I ever saw 30 knots, even during a squall.
    hhhmm so its not likely to be 34+ knots. same question for DHF.

DHF is in the Spring when there are still fronts coming in. Different animal. I stopped doing that race 10 years ago.