Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 SH Farallones

Lots of good, constructive ideas being posted. Thanks to the Board for steering a winning course by keeping us sailing (in the bay) on schedule and still having the SHF later this year. I agree with those advocating shallow water restrictions around Southeast Farallon; too bad there isn't a convenient bouy in the same vicinity.

In my experience, the SSS has an excellent relationship with the Coast Guard, and I hope we all do everything we can to keep it that way. At this point, as I understand things, there is little threat to the 2012 Singlehanded Transpac. The one thing that could negatively impact the SHTP would be to go "mano a mano" with the Coast Guard now.

Al Germain
    Bandicoot

Default Seamanship

For me, one of the rewards and challenges of an ocean race, including short, intense races like the Farallones, is to demonstrate and improve upon my seamanship. Describing artificial boundaries like a depth contour or coordinates is to say that inside the boundary is dangerous and outside is safe. What is safe one day, is not the next. It's the mariner's duty to consider the conditions and the risks, and make sound judgments. The SSS promotes education and experiences that nurture both the budding and the competent solo sailor. Learning to exercise good seamanship, good judgment, is an essential part of that learning curve.

Culebra and I raced solo in the OYRA Farallones this past April 14th. I wasn't aware of the tragedy that occurred until I was back in my slip at the end of the day. But as I approached the island, where the wind and seas intensified, I saw a much larger surf zone than usual so I stood off a 1/2 mile all the way around. Which is outside the marks several have proposed. Pretty much all the other boats rounding with me stood off a similar distance as well. Leeway toward shore, from a high sea and high winds, was significant, especially due to my higher angle of heel. The south-setting current also drew me shoreward. And there was the potential to make mistakes, as I often do singlehanding. I considered that a minimum safe distance for me, for those conditions.

I've also been around the Farallones when conditions were balmy and benign... the kind of rare day when you actually get to sail closer to enjoy, and later, savor, the texture and color of the shoreline.

So now we're going to tell the racer what is a safe distance to stand off, for every set of conditions. That's incongruent with our vision as an organization. And it's dangerous. The CG, and especially we all, should know better. Instead let's insist on, and model, good judgment. (And yes, I was tethered.)

Paul/Culebra

You guys are right. I am an opinionated, passionate young man and I don't always exercise wisdom. Part of me being young and my background, I suppose. I fully intend to sail solo around the Farallones on May 12, as I consider it a very valuable part of my training regimen for Singlehanded Transpac. But I am not going to try to promote, have an organized event, or conduct anything that could be labeled as a political protest. I would never want to do anything that could jeopardize the SSS' reputation and standing with local authorities.

I'm young and get carried away sometimes.

But I am looking forward to sailing around the Farallones on May 12.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    You guys are right. I am an opinionated, passionate young man and I don't always exercise wisdom. Part of me being young and my background, I suppose. I fully intend to sail solo around the Farallones on May 12, as I consider it a very valuable part of my training regimen for Singlehanded Transpac. But I am not going to try to promote, have an organized event, or conduct anything that could be labeled as a political protest. I would never want to do anything that could jeopardize the SSS' reputation and standing with local authorities.

I'm young and get carried away sometimes.

But I am looking forward to sailing around the Farallones on May 12.
    Excellent; go safe, have a float plan filed with someone, take pix!

bw

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Have a great training sail Ronnie.

Ditto what Ronnie said - I just want to stick to my planned training schedule for the Solo TP which the SH Farallones was a part of - I think the whole occupy thing was someone's joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Culebra View Post
    For me, one of the rewards and challenges of an ocean race, including short, intense races like the Farallones, is to demonstrate and improve upon my seamanship. Describing artificial boundaries like a depth contour or coordinates is to say that inside the boundary is dangerous and outside is safe. What is safe one day, is not the next. It's the mariner's duty to consider the conditions and the risks, and make sound judgments. The SSS promotes education and experiences that nurture both the budding and the competent solo sailor. Learning to exercise good seamanship, good judgment, is an essential part of that learning curve.

Culebra and I raced solo in the OYRA Farallones this past April 14th. I wasn't aware of the tragedy that occurred until I was back in my slip at the end of the day. But as I approached the island, where the wind and seas intensified, I saw a much larger surf zone than usual so I stood off a 1/2 mile all the way around. Which is outside the marks several have proposed. Pretty much all the other boats rounding with me stood off a similar distance as well. Leeway toward shore, from a high sea and high winds, was significant, especially due to my higher angle of heel. The south-setting current also drew me shoreward. And there was the potential to make mistakes, as I often do singlehanding. I considered that a minimum safe distance for me, for those conditions.

I've also been around the Farallones when conditions were balmy and benign... the kind of rare day when you actually get to sail closer to enjoy, and later, savor, the texture and color of the shoreline.

So now we're going to tell the racer what is a safe distance to stand off, for every set of conditions. That's incongruent with our vision as an organization. And it's dangerous. The CG, and especially we all, should know better. Instead let's insist on, and model, good judgment. (And yes, I was tethered.)

Paul/Culebra
    Here's an idea for an "obstruction" with some plots from recent CF races
    http://www.sfbama.org/racing/replay/...rallonzone.JPG
    Name:  southeastfarallonislandsc special closure.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  79.3 KB

zoomed out in google earth
    http://www.sfbama.org/racing/replay/...RAFarallon.JPG
    Name:  120414OYRAFarallon tracks earth.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  98.4 KB

verified by GPS track or log with photos of other boats or competitor corroboration. (yes they were outside my GPS track shown which complies- this takes care of the sextantarian generation )

You can watch GPS track movie 3 boats in CF
    http://www.sfbama.org/racing/replay/...AFarallon.html

Not a safety zone since safety changes with boat and conditions. (Rule 4)

Also propose that Rule 2 "fair sailing" includes seamanship (and include reference documents such as Chapmans). Penalties to be multiples of the time advantage gained up to and including DSQ and barring from future races. May need to revise SI's to clarify. Could petition to have formal rule change (Hey- we're progressive in educating the world to not sail near rocks). This way only folks cutting corners get penalized.

Name:  Sailing Rule 2.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  40.4 KB
    Name:  Rule 69.1.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  67.5 KB

Elsewhere also proposed an Offshore Race Council of the clubs that run the 24 offshore races (OYRA only runs 5-8 of the 24 depending when CG counted). Minimally to share info and experiences. Goal to identify best practices and to standardize/implement across the clubs/races. Super goal would be to standardize SI's as much as possible. CHair would rotate amongst the clubs. YRA could administrate.

cheers
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Two singlehanded races are better than one. Using Point Bonita as a mark for the May 12th race will not require the additional ocean racing equipment. A revised additional sailing instruction for the May 12th alternate race course will be posted soon.
    This is great for the epirb-less like myself. I would like to sign up for this but the registration form requires the PLB info. Is this a mistake or is the beacon required for this race?
    -Mike (Firebolt)
    Last edited by breezetrees; 05-01-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: html crap

Quote Originally Posted by breezetrees View Post
    I would like to sign up for this but the registration form requires the PLB info. Is this a mistake or is the beacon required for this race?
    Mike, that's a leftover from when the registration was set up for the Farallones. The ocean equipment requirements are not in effect for May 12. You also shouldn't need to upload a boat photo. If the system demands it, get in touch with Jackie the Race Info Officer, and she'll change the setup or create a workaround or something computerish like that.