Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 SH Farallones

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Mike, that's a leftover from when the registration was set up for the Farallones. The ocean equipment requirements are not in effect for May 12. You also shouldn't need to upload a boat photo. If the system demands it, get in touch with Jackie the Race Info Officer, and she'll change the setup or create a workaround or something computerish like that.
    I entered fake data for now with a comment in the comments section that hopefully will explain. I'll email Jackie too. Looking forward to sailing under the GG bridge solo. Now I have to find a babysitter.
    -Mike (Firebolt)

Please everybody, be patient. As I type Max is finalizing the course for May 12. You're gonna love it. It has all the excitement of an offshore race and none of the fear or loathing. Bridges, buoys, ferries and tankers. These things take time. Can't just set up a fly by night course for members of the SSS. So please, don't enter fake data. Remember, I know who you are and where you live. I know that your children are with a babysitter in your absence. I don't want to give the Coast Guard a phone number for you that will turn out to be a muffler shop. Or worse.

Wow, I may have to come down river for this one - the marketing alone is impressive. I wonder where Max is getting the ferries and tankers - sounds like AAMCO . . .

I'm uplifted to read the tone of posts about supporting Max and SSS plans to run an inside course on the 12th, to re-schedule the Farallons for September, and especially Paul and BobJ's well stated comments. I've seen the offshore break out there and know it is sometimes safe to pass inside the break zone, and sometimes not. Unless conditions are really lousy I'll cruise to the Farallons on the 12th, not to make any statement about current events, but because I want more singlehanded experience before SHTP, and time is short. But I emphasize, I'll go only if conditions permit -- seamanship and safety first, and I understand clearly that SSS has cancelled the sanctioned event.

Cliff Shaw
    Rainbow

I had been planning on sailing the SHF Race as part of my SHTP training. A Bay race just will not do. My plan was to use this race to test boat modifications, my physical conditioning and just because I like off-shore sailing. I have no need to protest nor challenge the Coast Guard. They are my allies. I respect them and the work they do. On May 12th I plan to sail out and round the rock pile and practice. Hell, I have a lot of fast boats and good sailors that I have to "run" with in the SHTP (you know who you are). You didn't think this was going to be easy did you?

George
    TAZ!!
    Last edited by glythcott; 05-01-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glythcott View Post
    I had been planning on sailing the SHF Race as part of my SHTP training. A Bay race just will not do. My plan was to use this race to test boat modifications, my physical conditioning and just because I like off-shore sailing. I have no need to protest nor challenge the Coast Guard. They are my allies. I respect them and the work they do. On May 12th I plan to sail out and round the rock pile and practice. Hell, I have a lot of fast boats and good sailors that I have to "run" with in the SHTP (you know who you are). You didn't think this was going to be easy did you?

George
    TAZ!!
    Have a good training sail George, be safe.

Might I make a suggestion? For anyone needing training for SHT that might be going offshore, chose middle farallones or north of fanny shoal just for some real world input? Or perhaps if there is more than one boat that needs training, you could test various methods of standoff distances. We've recently learned/been reminded that there is a 300 ft standoff from the farallones and a 1000 ft for boats over 5 knots. Since we don't have the ability to run different courses as a function of speed/rating it would seem 1000 ft is the minimum standoff legally. http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/s...ll=1#post23319

Its also suggested that 500 yards might be easier to implement and OYRA seems to have moved in that direction.
    http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/s...ll=1#post23338

What do you think, experiment with some new ideas?
    Thanks!

Well Said Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Not all will agree with me but I feel compelled to post.

I am also opposed to the CG's actions but I think everyone should give Max and the SSS Board an opportunity to reschedule the SHF. I think this will be the 35th year? The SHF has been called a "Rite of Passage" for solo racers in our area and it holds a lot of significance for many of us.

Moreover, nothing good can come from sailing out there on May 12th in some sort of organized statement or protest. As single-handed racers, we are the group most vulnerable to increased scrutiny and regulation. By posting your intentions on this SSS-sponsored Forum you are using the SSS to plan this activity, and this puts the SSS in a bad light at a time when we could use our good reputation to try to improve the situation. I have no doubt that the powers-that-be read these Forums.

I understand, really I do - but let the Board get the race rescheduled. If you want to get in some practice or start your qualifier on 5/12, more power to you. Just don't organize it here.

Respectfully,
    Bob J.

Hey Paul,
    I totally respect your point of view. But I would argue that an organized race is different than sailing outside the parameters of an event. The race makes all kinds of rules that you have to follow. Safety gear, checking in and out, number of folks you have on board. We also have several restricted zones already defined for either homeland security or safety reasons. For instance we could remove the requirement to go outside Anita Rock Buoy and let people make their own decisions about whether or not to take that risk. Same with Colorado Reef Buoy on the way to HMB.
    The Volvo Ocean Race and others make artificial gates to get the racers out of ice zones in the Southern Ocean. These skippers have a lot more ocean experience than you and I are likely to ever have and they would take the risk to stay in southern latitudes if race organizers didn't make northerly gates for them to go around.
    So personally I don't have a problem with a race organization finding ways to help keep races safer. Even if it takes some of the judgement away from me. If I want to go practice rounding the Farallones more closely there is no reason I can't do that on my own time.
    Does it mean it will always be safe? Of course not. Will it in general make it safer? I think so.
    Respectfully,
    Tony B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culebra View Post
    For me, one of the rewards and challenges of an ocean race, including short, intense races like the Farallones, is to demonstrate and improve upon my seamanship. Describing artificial boundaries like a depth contour or coordinates is to say that inside the boundary is dangerous and outside is safe. What is safe one day, is not the next. It's the mariner's duty to consider the conditions and the risks, and make sound judgments. The SSS promotes education and experiences that nurture both the budding and the competent solo sailor. Learning to exercise good seamanship, good judgment, is an essential part of that learning curve.

Culebra and I raced solo in the OYRA Farallones this past April 14th. I wasn't aware of the tragedy that occurred until I was back in my slip at the end of the day. But as I approached the island, where the wind and seas intensified, I saw a much larger surf zone than usual so I stood off a 1/2 mile all the way around. Which is outside the marks several have proposed. Pretty much all the other boats rounding with me stood off a similar distance as well. Leeway toward shore, from a high sea and high winds, was significant, especially due to my higher angle of heel. The south-setting current also drew me shoreward. And there was the potential to make mistakes, as I often do singlehanding. I considered that a minimum safe distance for me, for those conditions.

I've also been around the Farallones when conditions were balmy and benign... the kind of rare day when you actually get to sail closer to enjoy, and later, savor, the texture and color of the shoreline.

So now we're going to tell the racer what is a safe distance to stand off, for every set of conditions. That's incongruent with our vision as an organization. And it's dangerous. The CG, and especially we all, should know better. Instead let's insist on, and model, good judgment. (And yes, I was tethered.)

Paul/Culebra

I won't be sailing this weekend. I am right in the middle of preparing for my qualifier and making good progress, so looking at the big picture, I need to take the weekend and continue working on my boat.

Have fun and be safe out there guys! (and girls)