Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 SH Farallones

Cool 2012 SH Farallons

If the "United States Safety Agency" deems the subject race too risky, how much longer before they zero in on my favorite SSS race?

The 2012 Singlehanded Farallones race is no longer. The man killed it. After talking with Greg Nelsen, I feel it's appropriate that the 99% rally together and "Occupy" the Farallones.

The Occupy movement is extending offshore on May 12, 2012. In addition, there will be an impromptu rose and wreath laying memorial service for the crew of LSC, as each boat rounds the island.

OCCUPY FARALLONES 2012!!!

Default OCCUPY FARALLONES 2012 & LSC Memorial

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    The Occupy movement is extending offshore on May 12, 2012. In addition, there will be an impromptu rose and wreath laying memorial service for the crew of LSC, as each boat rounds the island.

OCCUPY FARALLONES 2012!!!
    Since the system is already in place, can we use the race registration program so that we know who is going and keep a watchful eye over each other?

Perhaps Deathspear can post his GPS coordinates that he has set to keep him off the rock pile when the fog blows in or night falls, and we can all voluntarily add them to our GPS Waypoint list for the day.

There are SHTP entrants that need to practice, so this will just be an organized practice to support our fraternity. Because that's what we are here for, to promote safe shorthanded sailing, not crawl under the bed sheets gripped with fear.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

I think that racing organizations are going to have to make proposals to the CG to make the Farallones races safer. Tethers may be part of it. But a 'Restricted Zone' might be called for. There was a really good posting on Sailing Anarchy about staying out of a 10 fathom zone. That shallower than 10 fathoms increases the likelihood of large ways. I was playing around with it and something like this might make sense.

S. Farallones N 37 42.42'N 123 00.31'W
    S. Farallones NW 37 42.40'N 123 01.45'W
    S. Farallones S 37 41.49'N 123 00.15'W
    S. Farallones SW 37 41.47'N 123 01.45'W

Thoughts? Check them out and see if they make sense.
    Tony

I've registered for SHF. If the race doesn't happen, and conditions permitting, Rainbow will take a solo cruise around the Farallones on May 12, hitting the Gate at about 0700 to catch the ebb.

Cliff Shaw

Not all will agree with me but I feel compelled to post.

I am also opposed to the CG's actions but I think everyone should give Max and the SSS Board an opportunity to reschedule the SHF. I think this will be the 35th year? The SHF has been called a "Rite of Passage" for solo racers in our area and it holds a lot of significance for many of us.

Moreover, nothing good can come from sailing out there on May 12th in some sort of organized statement or protest. As single-handed racers, we are the group most vulnerable to increased scrutiny and regulation. By posting your intentions on this SSS-sponsored Forum you are using the SSS to plan this activity, and this puts the SSS in a bad light at a time when we could use our good reputation to try to improve the situation. I have no doubt that the powers-that-be read these Forums.

I understand, really I do - but let the Board get the race rescheduled. If you want to get in some practice or start your qualifier on 5/12, more power to you. Just don't organize it here.

Respectfully,
    Bob J.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-29-2012 at 08:05 PM.

+1 to bobJ's comment. I was initially going to sail the course myself on may 12, but then Max said they'd reschedule it, and then others started making may 12 sound like a political rally. I'd rather support Max and the SSS. I'll do the in-the-bay course may 12 and SHF in sept or whenever it gets booked. I sail out to the farallones a couple times a year cruising anyway--not feeling compelled to do it on the 12th.

bw

Quote Originally Posted by Now&Zen View Post
    I think that racing organizations are going to have to make proposals to the CG to make the Farallones races safer. Tethers may be part of it. But a 'Restricted Zone' might be called for. There was a really good posting on Sailing Anarchy about staying out of a 10 fathom zone. That shallower than 10 fathoms increases the likelihood of large ways. I was playing around with it and something like this might make sense.

S. Farallones N 37 42.42'N 123 00.31'W
    S. Farallones NW 37 42.40'N 123 01.45'W
    S. Farallones S 37 41.49'N 123 00.15'W
    S. Farallones SW 37 41.47'N 123 01.45'W

Thoughts? Check them out and see if they make sense.
    Tony
    Didn't check the waypoints but I am definitely in favor of having a restricted zone. It would make a lot of sense if all organizations that organize a Farallones race agree on the same restricted zone and communicate that to the CG.

*Due to recent events, the SSS will use an alternate course for the May 12th race. The Farallon's race will be reschedulted for later in the year. Both races will have singlehanded only entries and an additional season throw-out will be used for overall season scoring.

Two singlehanded races are better than one. Using Point Bonita as a mark for the May 12th race will not require the additional ocean racing equipment. A revised additional sailing instruction for the May 12th alternate race course will be posted soon.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Moreover, nothing good can come from sailing out there on May 12th in some sort of organized statement or protest.
    I agree with Bob. As frustrating as the situation is, and of course this group as singlehanders will have a libertarian bias, getting into any kind of head butting with USCG will be very, very counterproductive in the long run. If people want to individually sail somewhere outside the bay that is one thing, they should just do so without any appearance whatsoever of subverting the well established USCG legal authority to regulate any marine 'event'.

I have some indication that the USS committee won't be as bad as some have feared, and we may find the outcome quite acceptable compared to what it could be. We need to stand by, show some patience and maturity. The ocean will still be there.