Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing a container ?

Default Sharing a container ?

Anyone arranging a container that they would be willing to share space in ?

Thanks,

Brian
    RedSky

I was planning on shipping a small load of things from the bay area when I get there, but I haven't figured out any of the details yet, and it's certainly not going to be a full container. More like a pallet.

Quote Originally Posted by cafemontaigne View Post
    I was planning on shipping a small load of things from the bay area when I get there, but I haven't figured out any of the details yet, and it's certainly not going to be a full container. More like a pallet.
    Sure, understood. We used to share containers in the Pac Cup, but a few more participants. It may not even be possible to get a container to the finish, but I was checking.

My largest item is a delivery main. If there was space I would ship food as well.

Regards,
    Brian

I think in the past some people have put together a big shipping crate for less-than-container load. I'll probably have enough free time to figure out some of that, but we'll need a truck to get it to the ship. I'll be shipping a dinghy & outboard, a delivery sail or two, and a variety of odds and ends to take to australia.

Here's a thread on how it was done last time:

http://www.sfbaysss.net/showthread.p...light=shipping

Hi Adrian -

the thread you pointed to has pretty much everything you need as regards managing the shipping of the crates; do talk with Hawaiian Express in advance so you know which sailing dates are available, and update costs. You might check with other freight forwarders to see if they have different rates.

When you build the crate, it will need to be on a pallet (for use by fork lifts) and a solid wood floor to keep any gear clear of where the fork lift's forks will be (one year we had an anchor shank poke through the crate's floor, and the fork lift hit the anchor pretty hard).

If you're going to load gear into the box with the box on the floor, then you'll need a way to lift the box up to a truck bed. In the past I've done the load in a space with a fork lift, and other times where we had 4 ton overhead hoist. If you don't have a way to lift the box, then put the box in a truck and load the box in the truck bed (remember to orient the pallet base so a forklift can poke in and pick up the box).

Box construction has been 2x2's and 1/2" plywood, screwed together with drywall and decking screws, screwed down to a 'borrowed' 4x4 pallet. What's nice is you can construct a size box that is best for your gear. Each shipping has taken most of a day to construct and load the box, and a couple of hours the next morning to run down to the freight forwarder and hand it off. The hardest part of all of this is finding the time right up near the start date to get everyone together and make it happen.

Oh yes, and any motors/outboards will need to have all gasoline drained (best if oil is removed as well).

Hope this helps.

- rob

Thanks for the info, Rob. I've gotten interest from many people already; hopefully this will translate into helping hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Hi Adrian -

the thread you pointed to has pretty much everything you need as regards managing the shipping of the crates; do talk with Hawaiian Express in advance so you know which sailing dates are available, and update costs. You might check with other freight forwarders to see if they have different rates.

When you build the crate, it will need to be on a pallet (for use by fork lifts) and a solid wood floor to keep any gear clear of where the fork lift's forks will be (one year we had an anchor shank poke through the crate's floor, and the fork lift hit the anchor pretty hard).

If you're going to load gear into the box with the box on the floor, then you'll need a way to lift the box up to a truck bed. In the past I've done the load in a space with a fork lift, and other times where we had 4 ton overhead hoist. If you don't have a way to lift the box, then put the box in a truck and load the box in the truck bed (remember to orient the pallet base so a forklift can poke in and pick up the box).

Box construction has been 2x2's and 1/2" plywood, screwed together with drywall and decking screws, screwed down to a 'borrowed' 4x4 pallet. What's nice is you can construct a size box that is best for your gear. Each shipping has taken most of a day to construct and load the box, and a couple of hours the next morning to run down to the freight forwarder and hand it off. The hardest part of all of this is finding the time right up near the start date to get everyone together and make it happen.

Oh yes, and any motors/outboards will need to have all gasoline drained (best if oil is removed as well).

Hope this helps.

- rob

So I talked to Hawaiian Express. The crates would have to be tendered to them by Wednesday the 27th at noon. They would sail on the 28th, and arrive about two weeks later, which would be perfect. Cost would be about $12 per cubic foot, or $740 for a 4x4x4 crate. They would knock off $160 if it's in the name of a corporation instead of an individual. This is just for pick-up at the dock in Nawiliwili. I can talk to them about delivering to Hanalei. I also have a lead on someone who can build us some crates.

I will need the following:
    -an idea who will be participating and how many cubic feet they want.
    -a pick-up truck that we can use to transport the crates from Alameda to Hayward.

Also, if somebody has a business we could use for the name on the bill, we could save a bit of cash.

Adrian

Default Space on crate/container

Quote Originally Posted by cafemontaigne View Post
    Thanks for the info, Rob. I've gotten interest from many people already; hopefully this will translate into helping hands.

Hello Adrian,

I would be interested in 4 cubic feet to ship food and possibly an anchor. I don't have access to a pick up truck. Does the shipper have a pallet mover to unload the pick up truck (I would assume so ) ?

Regards,

Brian Red Sky O34.

Hello,

My trailer is shipping to Honolulu, if anyone is interested, you can load stuff on it. I have a tool box (pick-up truck style) bolted on and there will be room for small stuff to throw in there. The trailer will be released on June 18th.

I gave up on trying to do this. Happy to carry big light stuff for the smaller boats. I have 4 empty 15 gallon jugs on board. Not too pro style, but I don't think it will make too much of an impact on me to bother with shipping.