Thread: Albin Cumulus for sale- Nice Swedish 28-footer set up for singlehanding

Default Albin Cumulus for sale- Nice Swedish 28-footer set up for singlehanding

Up for sale is my 1982 Albin Cumulus "Chippewa". She has been my home for 2 years, was my race boat for 1 year and has been a truly great sailboat for me, but all good things must come to an end and SHTP related expenses force me to sell her and buy something else after SHTP.

Chippewa won her class in the 2011 Singlehanded Farallones when it blew 30 and over half the fleet dropped out. The boat was rock solid and the rig didn't pump at all. She is truly a seaworthy little boat that is great for SF Bay as she was designed for the North Sea which is known for very similar conditions to SF.

Here is a link to the specs on sailboat data: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=879

Included equipment:

Double-reefed mainsail, 3 jibs, 1 spinnaker. Light, medium and heavy jibs. Heavy jib is reefable.

High-tech main halyard, spin halyard, jib halyard- 2011
    New spin sheets 2010
    Jib sheets
    Reef entirely from the cockpit. Rope clutches for everything. Two new spinlock rope clutches 2011.
    New headstay 2011 with really nice Ronstan turnbuckle. I have two sweet turnbuckles that will go with the boat for when you build new shrouds.

2 50-watt solar panels mounted on stern pulpits. 2 batteries. Solar charge controller. This boat lives off the grid and is not plugged into her dock box.

Navik windvane that is NOT mounted, but is in nice condition. Raymarine ST2000+ tiller pilot- new 2010. It will cost you around $400 to have mounts made for the wind vane. I was planning on mounting the vane until my Moore started owning me.

New LED cabin lights in salon. 2012. New Sony stereo with cockpit speakers- 2011. New circuit breaker panels 2012. New single-burner Origo alcohol stove- 2011. New Ritchie compass in cockpit- 2012. New running lights on bow- 2011.

Couple of anchors with rode. I anchor out frequently with it. Boat has working running lights, cabin lights, VHF radio, 12 volt outlets, stereo, etc. spare breakers if you want to wire up more stuff.

Boat was hauled out and bottom painted May 2011.

What the boat needs:

Boat could use a bottom job. I used the cheap West Marine pain and some of it flaked off at the water line. The bottom is still pretty good though and goes a couple months between needing a solid wipe down.

The fuel stop for the diesel stopped working in the cockpit. Whenever I run the diesel, I just hop down below, remove the engine front cover and push the fuel stop manually. I've been doing this for a while with no problems.

There are deck leaks. I would recommend re-bedding some things and I have one weird leak when it rains really hard.

Needs random love and TLC. I've been so pre-occupied with a total Moore 24 refit that Chippewa has been neglected.

I planned a bulkhead mod at the bottom next to the compression post. I don't think the bulkhead does a lot though, so it's not very structural. There is a solid compression post and the boat has a surprising amount of hull stiffness and structure. Basically, it's rotted wood that I was going to merely lay up glass over to stop it from rotting.

I installed the cockpit speakers and compass into existing holes, but I did the speakers a year before the compass. There is magnetic interference and the speakers should be moved to the aft part of the cockpit before the compass will be accurate. (I would have never put a compass next to spaekers but all the holes were already there...)

Chippewa is a great boat and I am sad to have to sell her, but she will make someone a great boat and would really be a fantastic cruising platform.

I am asking $7,500 obo including the wind vane and tiller pilot. $1k less without vane and pilot. Again, vane is NOT mounted and needs mounts.

Please feel free to PM me, post here or email me at rsimpson48 at yahoo dot com

thanks for looking,

ronnie simpson

here are some videos of Chippewa. Boat is located in Alameda.

2011- sh farallones- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6REYBImw2LI
    day sail to Giants game- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk4bKI_seN8
    epic kite run in Bay- http://youtu.be/L7vGxj3s0M8
    Last edited by ronnie simpson; 06-06-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Boat has sold