Thread: glass balls

Default glass balls

Talking to a couple sailing buddies the other day and topic swung to collection of glass balls in northern pacific whilst enroute to/from Hawaii.

One of them reported picking up a nice 8 or 10 inch diameter one on trip TO hawaii a couple years ago..... So they are out there!!!!!!

Usually people only expect to see them on the trip home

May be a good idea for those who are so inclined to keep an eye out and carry a long-handled fish net on deck to be ready should you pass near to one during the race.

Jim/Haulback

Quote Originally Posted by haulback View Post
    May be a good idea for those who are so inclined to keep an eye out and carry a long-handled fish net on deck to be ready should you pass near to one during the race.
    Jim/Haulback
    ... and you won't mind a bit if one of your competitors spends 30 min or an hour circling back and stopping to fish out a glass ball, eh? Or wasting time altering course to check out likely targets?

- Alchera

Gee, now that thought had not occurred to me!! I only meant to suggest others may be able to find a meaningful and permanent souvenir of their crossing.

And with all the endless hours you, my friend, have spent searching for glass balls I would bet that should you ever see one, a few minutes would be a small sacrifice to make, indeed, for the chance of bagging one.

Jim/Haulback
    Last edited by haulback; 03-04-2008 at 12:06 AM.

A few months ago I was moving my TransPac gear from storage in Benicia to storage in Alameda. I was putting some stuff in the back of the car when from the recesses of the storage space I heard a crash - the sound of glass breaking. Says I, "I don't have anything glass back there . . . "

And thus began my plans for another SHTP.

I'll be on the lookout.