Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking and return logs?

Default Tracking and return logs?

I see MOONSHADOW has started the return trip...the tracker is still transmitting. Anyone know if there will be return logs and tracking for all the boats returning to the West coast or just for those who forgot to remove the tracker....?

Trackers for the return trip were arranged at the option of each skipper. As boats get underway, my sources indicate you should also see GREEN BUFFALO, TORTUGA, MOUTON NOIR, HARRIER and RED SKY appearing on the tracking page for the "TransBack," and perhaps others.

The Black Sheep is headed for Alaska as I recall, and the General will be headed for So-Cal (MDR I think). The trackers' batteries can be recharged but not all have had the means to do so. Consequently the normal caveat: Don't panic if a boat stops transmitting.

Logs will depend on whether the skippers feel chatty.

FYI, 34 knots right now in Gale Alley. Keep these guys in mind.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-23-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks for that Bob. Do you know what frequency they will be using for SSB check ins?
    Thanks again

I don't, but in the past we've kept the same frequencies and shed-dule as during the race.

Before long the web guy will switch the tracking page from the TransPac to the TransBack and you'll see more boats.

Default TransBack Tracking Page

How come there are no transback updates or blogs. I know Green Buffalo is sending updates.

Because the Race Chair and "Assistant to the Race Chair" are off doing the Delta Doo-Dah.

Any updates from returning skippers who don't have their own blogs are probably trapped (unread) in the Race Chair's e-mail.

I could hack into the race e-mail and post them over here, but that's probably above my pay grade . . .

ah please.. consider it training for running the next shtp maybe....?

Here's yesterday's report from the verdant bison:

Quiet

Sailed all night and day reaching with the jib top making good miles. With the jib top, reaching, the Buffalo can do 7 knots in a 9 knot breeze, and 6 knots in a 7 knot breeze. This pleasant slide east came to an end at dinner time when the wind dropped to 6 knots and shifted forward - so we are now motor sailing east across the high. Hopefully we'll be through the high by this time tomorrow (the high is moving quickly west which greatly shortens this likely last long motor.

We used this quiet time for housekeeping tasks - whipping line ends, repairing chafed lines, airing out sleeping bags and pillows, and so on. On a good return trip the boat reaches home in better conditio nthen it left Hawaii as the crew looks for repairs to keep themselves busy. That is definitely the case on this delivery.

We've been playing a bit of music in the cockpit from time to time using small speakers we plug in to whoever has the best tunes on their iPod or MP3 player. 70s, 80s, Top 40, Western, Reggae, musicals and more. You can tell the crew has a wide variety of music tastes.

Lot of reading getting done too - from Jeff reading Biz books to Bob reading about mountain climbers.

Lunch was cabbage salad with chopped eggs thrown in (tastes better every time we have it!). Dinner was vegetarian chili and rice (Lisa is a vegetarian).

About 850 miles to go... looking like we'll reach San Francisco Tuesday August 7th... a 16 day passage... though 50 miles longer, faster then any of the previous three PacCup return trips from Kaneohe (Oahu). Though I may be counting my chickens too song as history says we'll reach home Wednesday morning the 8th.

You can tell all the crew is missing their partners... Bob with Barbara, Jeff with Lynn, Lisa with John and their kids, and my missing Mary and the boys. The Buffalo is feeling like a "barn shy horse" (in this case a 'paddock shy buffalo').

There are some earlier e-mails from Jim and some position reports from a couple others, but not much else from the TransBackers. As to training for running the next SHTP . . . ah, no. Any guess why I have access to the race's e-mail?

Thank you! Anything from Tortuga?

hehe. Not going to do it again?