Thread: US Sailing LSC Report

Default US Sailing LSC Report

Just curious if the SSS was considering making any changes to how races are conducted after the LSC Report has come out. The PSSA Board is currently reviewing the report for our upcoming winter series.

Whitall

In response to the LSC tragedy, a NorCal ORC was created and is currently looking at how the locally-organized ocean races are run. The goals (as I understand them) are to standardize the lists of required equipment and crew preparation and improve race committee protocols, especially with regard to communications.

At the SSS meeting tonight, "Commode d' Or" Max announced that the equipment committee for the council had proposed a Minimum Equipment List that was mostly the SSS list for races outside the Gate, with a couple additions. This is much better than the highly "prescriptionized" MEL that OYRA has been using, which was based on the ISAF OSR's. No less than Jim Antrim and Chuck Hawley have commented that the OSR's are pretty unworkable/unrealistic for our local ocean races.

The committee is meeting again later this week so a revised MEL may be published before long, I assume to take effect next season. Whitall, if you want to see a draft and some feedback about this, send me an e-mail and I'll reply.

Since the SH TransPac has always had more extensive RR&C's (including required equipment) I don't think the activities of the NorCal ORC will affect it much.