Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round the Rocks Sept 8

Sure. how much can an espresso cost?

Thank you so much for the photos, Larry!

Lots of other in the bay races do check ins by having the boats sail by the RC boat and someone writes down their sail number.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

I'm certainly agreeable to that, Synthia. Not for the Fiasco, of course. hahahaha. Think of the crashes! Maybe if we have the radio problem again people can just call a cell phone and check in by leaving a message. The cell phone history would provide the time and date. It could be an either/or option? After the boats have all started, we can check the messages and confirm. As a sailor I like checking in. However, as a participant on race deck it's one more thing to do while all the boats are jockeying for position, flags are being raised, horns are being blown, boats are confirmed clear, all while counting to see how many boats have started etc. etc

How about D S C , there is a position report with a boat name .Or
    checking in with a text message . all have their problems ,voice too .
    I checked in several times but only heard the race committee acknowledge the last time . I heard them just fine checking other boat In ,just not Me.

Bob, we do have an inflatable mark. We bought it last winter, and I set it to mark the Yerba Buena restricted zone in the Three Bridge Fiasco. I was prepared to bring it over to Berkeley this time too, but BYC mark seemed adequate.

To the racers complaining about how hard it was to find the mark: Well, we did publish its coordinates in the SIs. I set a waypoint, hit GO TO, dodged some shallow spots, and found it sitting there plain as day. Let's just say we're promoting shorthanded navigation skills.

Agreed, there's a good chance we'll be getting more use from the inflatable next year.
    Max
    Last edited by Critter; 09-11-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Bob, we do have an inflatable mark.
    Max
    Cool - I'll be the first to admit I need to get out more!

By the way, how did Greg Nelson come in first? Again?
    Who is this person.....? I see Mr. NelsEn came in 1st in Division but couldn't make up 10:02 seconds anywhere on the course to the 1st Overall Wyliefast 30 Squarehead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    We on Stink Eye would like to see the track of boats that went the right way.(We went the wrong way) So if you had a GPS running and can upload your track to Jibeset, do so. (This means you Dan, Greg, Stephen, Glenn, Gordie and Christian.)
    Hi Jonathan, I've uploaded JetStream track to jibeset.

A few thoughts about the "Rocks" Race. 1) I thought the Finish Mark was clearly defined in the SIs. Punch in the coordinates and go. By the way, BYC is the same size buoy as Blackaller and Ft. Mason. I assume that next year 70+ boats will know where it is, and any new boats can tag along. 2) I think the SSS should continue radio check ins rather than "social site' check ins. It's important to establish that two-way communication is working for shorthanded races. 3) The RC can expect to find the sun, the wind, and/or rain in their eyes when sighting across the east end of an east-west Finish Line, especially in the East Bay and especially in the waning Summer/early Fall months. 4) I observed several boats sail into the South end of the Long Wharf Restricted Zone on the beat back to the Finish Line. They were too far away to identify, but one had a flat top main and a jib. 5) I thought the course was well thought out and I applaud those who dreamed it up. Thanks to the folks who turned out for the RC and made it possible for us to sail. Pat B.