Thread: Small Boat for Solo Sailing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Small Boat for Solo Sailing

Hello All;

I am looking for some suggestions for a small single-handed sailboat. It will be sailed in the ocean along the coast of southern California, between Long Beach and Newport Beach and points south. Day sailing (not long cruises) is my first interest, although I also want to learn to race it. (For racing, double-handed is OK.)

As much as I like old but fast centerboard sloops (Thistles, Lightnings, Highlanders, etc.), I suspect that a keel boat is the way to go for my purposes. If that is true, then the next question is size. Most of my sailing has been in 17' - 20' dinghies. The 22' Star is the largest boat (and only keel boat) that I have sailed so far. (That will change soon.) I would like to get a 18' - 20' foot boat, but I see from my readings that most single-handers sail larger boats. (27' - 35' appears to be common - for stability, I assume.) The ballast to displacement ratio also seems to be mentioned a lot. Is higher better? What do you think about "water ballast" boats?

At Long Beach, the Cal 20 is top dog among small keel boats. At Newport Beach, where there is much lighter wind, the Harbor 20 is very popular. However, both boats have their drawbacks. The Cal 20 is about as slow as they get and the Harbor 20 can be very wet if you take it into the ocean. In San Diego, they sail Santana 20's and Victory 21's (neither of which I know much about.)

Having said all that, what do you think are some good boats for my purposes? What are the key things to look for in a good single-handed day sailer / racer?

Thanks, Richard
    Last edited by rlltrash; 09-10-2012 at 03:40 PM.