Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: windvanes

Hi Jackie -
    good to know. I had nothing but good service, but I was really only needing spares of the fiddly bits [I gave all mine to Ronnie on his way to SoCal] and the wind vane blade blade.
    The paddle assembly is really an integral part of the vane, and has a moderately fussy internal mechanism for the trim tab. I'd agree its a moderately involved project to replicate.

Also, not sure the paddle assembly on the Navik really constitutes a spare part that you would carry with you? at that point you are literally hauling around half of the unit.
    I can certainly see losing the Wind Vane or even the turret offshore while assembling or adjusting [its happened], or to a misguided bird perching on it, but I'm not sure I see how you would lose the Paddle short of hitting something or a really curious shark...

DH

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Come up and help me bolt it on, then we can go out and practice. I want to have it in place for the Half Moon Bay race and certainly for Drakes Bay (cuz it's so far away!).
    Let me know if you need an extra hand! I can stand around and hold stuff and try to look like I know what you're doing ;-)

You absolutely could lose the paddle overboard, offshore. I always had a bit of line on mine, tied to a stern rail or something, as insurance.

When I sold Ankle Biter in Hawaii, the buyer wanted the "top half" of the Navik, so I gave it to him. The paddle and "bottom half" must have hit something in the water as it completely self destructed about 6 days out. Making a "bottom half" of the vane is not a project for the faint of heart and it would almost certainly cost a lot of boat bucks. It literally is half the vane.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
    Some of Brian's ideas and products are described at

http://validator.stacieboschma.com/products/

One of the videos shows a small actuator motor linked to the Atoms wind vane on Frolic (Islander 36). It worked really well - used it when we motored during the trip back to CA last summer.
    Thanks to all who responded to my earlier question about racing with windvanes.

I ordered one of Brian's controller/actuator sets for installation on my Monitor...Due to be delivered in early March. My intention is to collect performance data under sail on the three ways I will have to steer my boat: Below decks autopilot, windvane/actuator combo and pure windvane. Suggestions on what measurements to make would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Thanks to all who responded to my earlier question about racing with windvanes.

I ordered one of Brian's controller/actuator sets for installation on my Monitor...Due to be delivered in early March. My intention is to collect performance data under sail on the three ways I will have to steer my boat: Below decks autopilot, windvane/actuator combo and pure windvane. Suggestions on what measurements to make would be greatly appreciated.
    With a little prodding I could be convinced to add a little data acquisition module, temporarily, to the AP controller and you could gather course holding data, rate of turn, roll, pitch,...........wirelessly below deck on a PC. Data would be relayed every 1/10 sec.
    Brian

Does anyone have, or know of an Aries windvane ? I need to get a few photos of one on a boat or in a garage.
    Thanks,
    Brian