Thread: AIS options

Default AIS options

Does anyone have tips on AIS? I'm equipping my Moore and specifically am looking at the small/light/cheap/low power drain types. From a quick look, it seems to me that the AIS/VHF combos offer a good value--something like the Standard Horizion GX2150B or similar. Can I get some help from the assembled multitude? I've zero experience with AIS since the last time I was seriously offshore it wasn't around for us yachties.

Some of us have this unit (bought from this store in the UK):

http://www.allgadgets.co.uk/marine/p...dar-32p115.htm

It's still the most affordable stand-alone unit. It draws very little power so you can leave it on all the time out there. One weakness is that it has no data output so you can't put the data on your chartplotter or laptop, and it doesn't compute CPA. But it's doing its thing without other devices needing to be on, and it has a loud enough beeper to wake you up if a ship comes within range. It's also very easy to read.

I just bought the Standard Horizon VHF (2150?) with AIS and it's pretty cool. The AIS display is much smaller and harder to read than the NASA unit's, but it shows the CPA and has data out at both baud rates so you can send it into whatever other devices you have. I also got the ram mic so I have all the same info in the cockpit. I'll still keep the NASA unit though - when I do another long race I'll plug it into my backup VHF antenna on the stern pulpit.

The S-H 2150 seems like it will be a bit of a power hog - I just installed it so I'm not sure yet.

That's approximately $310

I had a NASA unit on WILDFLOWER also. Excellent for stand alone. Minimal power draw. Even though I had the NASA AIS hooked up to the backup VHF whip antenna on the stern pulpit, it would still pick up ships at 15-20 miles if you wanted. I kept it on smaller (8 mile) range. The beeper was very audible, as Bob says. Important to have loud beeper whatever AIS you choose.

I had it wired into my handheld GPS. The NASA unit needed GPS position input.

This unit saved my bacon during the 2008 SHTP. As I drifted along at 0400, the container ship MSC TEXAS was bearing down. I was able to raise her bridge on VHF thanks to AIS giving me her name, course and speed, and she altered to pass 1/8 mile astern.
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-25-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Sounds like this one may be a winner. Thanks, gents.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I have the Standard Horizon GX2100 combo VHF/DSC/AIS with RAM mic. There is a revised version of this on the market now. Mine only outputs AIS data at the 38000 baud speed, so you need a multiplexor to send that data anywhere else. Of course it also needs GPS data on the NEMA input. It was very affordable, and the RAM mic with the AIS in the cockpit is great. But it draws a whopping 600 mA in standby! That's gonna hurt on a Moore, I think.

New Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 VHF radio has AIS and GPS.
    http://newenglandboating.com/reviews...ed-aisgps.html
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-09-2014 at 08:40 PM.

I have a SH2150 and the EmTrak B100 Transponder and S100 Antenna Splitter. One caveat with the AIS equipped 2150 (don't know about 2200): No way to turn off the AIS receiver. So, you end up with two AIS signals potentially received on your RAM mike or radio display, one from your own transponder (basically the SH 2150 doesn't know it's next door to the AIS transponder) and other AIS signals from other ships. There is probably a way to sort this e.g. using a multiplexer and filtering some of the signals prior to your iPod, chart plotter etc. But it can lead to a little bit of anxiety on a foggy night outside the gate (don't ask how I know). Part of my problem was I had a separate Garmin GPS providing GPS data (which the EmTrak can do) to the SH2150 rather than the EmTrak. The same issue may emerge with the GX2200. Guru's feel free to chime in & show me the error of my ways. Love the Ram mike except for the short curly cord.

Can't speak to power requirements, only know what's in the manual but I like the EmTrak support (absolutely first rate) even if the box it self looks a little Tonka Toy. They are small. Antenna splitter seems to work well (heard Brian and replies out past the Farallones during his long range test super antenna testing).

But don't freak when you see a vessel next to you on the AIS right after you looked around (unless its flying or has NSA on the side).