Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Bit of News

Greetings:
    I’m so touched. I really wanted to be there. Not for the work, certainly, but just to be there with that many great sailors and people. I know we “compete” but very few opportunities exist for being part of anything that is so purely competitive. The ancient Greeks were the first to organize competitions. They celebrated individual achievement but they organized it to motivate improvements in running, throwing, wrestling – survival skills, at that time, not just sport.

One of the things that most impressed me about my first SHTP was meeting “under the tree” every day and talking about the race. I remember talking about everything except “who won”. I didn’t know until the awards dinner who had won. I was particularly happy that it was Phil, but would have been happy for whoever had.
    I used to write poetry back in the day and knew John Haag, a Major/minor poet of my generation. He served in the merchant Marine during WW2. I haven’t written any poetry in a long time but John popped this out in his book “Stones Don’t Float”. It comes close to how I feel about all this.

Sea Song

The breast of the sea
    swells in the fresh
    breeze:
    on the sand
    the sea leaves
    love marks:
    in love
    change must be constant.

On the bay, bulls heel,
    rail awash, wind
    ripening the sails: so
    blood floods and fills.

In the water, sand
    and wind, the sail
    and swelling blood,
    I feel you flow
    and bend--
    flesh and spirit held
    in the same arching move:
    the tongue of love.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    The gang assembled at ERGO at 1 pm. Tie-dyed shirts seemed to be the dress theme.

BobJ and AlanH retrieved the windvane and spare fuel tank. Syn and crew hoisted sails, and made repairs to the main. Headsails and bumblebee colored spinnys evaluated, labeled as to condition and folded. Jacki appeared with do-nuts while Phil attended to the engine and zincs and Max, AlanH, Ruben and BobJ mounted the windvane and helped unload the boat. Plaques were removed from the bulkhead.

Lockers and drawers were emptied and gear piled and sorted on the dock. Some gear, including anchor, solar panels, and drogue, are going to Blue Pelican with Ruben. Syn took two sails home for repair. The folded sails, life raft, sheets, windvane, spare fuel tank, compass, emergency steering, spare prop, and engine spares were returned aboard ERGO. Skip will see the SSB/ham radios, tuner, and antenna go to a good home. The rest of the equipment was sorted and dispersed.

It was fine, warm weather for a work party. Among the gang of 10 were eight SHTP vets. In attendance: Max, Phil, Bob J, SSS Commodore Jim Quanci, Jacki, Ruben, Alan H, Frank Anzak, Synbad, Skip.
    Synthia says that tie-die is the new black. Honest!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Bill, I like that. Actually, I like that a lot. Once upon a time, when I had an International H Boat, I did my very first solo spinnaker run, from somewhere in the general vicinity of Blackaller to almost under the Bay Bridge. I wrote a poem about that.
    I wish I could find it, now.

Sunday outing on ERGO was lot's of fun with good company.

Bill, enjoy the video of us messing about on your boat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS_RJS8tt3g

Greetings,

Who knew that Ergo was actually the "Love Boat"? She's such a surprising old girl. Sparky, thank you so much.

COMMODORE Jim Quancy called me last night. I'd asked him to send me a copy of the video he'd shot when I was part of his delivery crew for getting his Cal 40, Green Buffalo, home after the '11 PacCup. It was the first and only time I've been off shore on a crewed boat. It was a great trip, on a great boat with a great skipper. Jim is the best and most generous skipper it's been my privledge to know and sail with. He actually won all the Farallons races, SH, DH and crewed in one season. Jim also takes along just about anyone who wants to go - kids, first timers and other skippers. Sometimes looking around Green Buffalo, motoring over to a starting area, it felt more like a boat going out for a day sail, than one of the boats the other skippers knew they had to keep an eye on or it would eat their lunch. The SSS is in another set of great hands.

I told Jim to carry a very personal message for me to anyone who might feel sorry for me because of what is happening. Jim's a real gentleman of the old school. I hope he doesn't have to repeat the message very often because Jim isn't prone to using vulgarity nor succuming to emotional outbursts. I, on the other hand, have come to value the proper use of profanity as an art form. If necessary, I'm confident that Jim will honor my request. So, please spare him the pain of needing to follow through. I understand sadness. I understand anger. I'm feeling plenty of both. They're very honest emotions. Sympathy, not so much. Just my opinion.

Stay close, my friends. Stay close.

Bill Merrick

Nice poem Bill.

Nice video Sparky. I like the last shot the very best.

We sure will, my friend

Greetings,

I wanted to personally call/e-mail the "crew" who really, really helped Sara and I with a very nasty job but I can't find my trusty phone book that has all the numbers. And since Phil liked the poem. Here's another that I wrote last week.

When It Comes

When it comes, let it be as an old friend.
    Tapping me on the shoulder
    In an unexpected place, at an unexpected moment.

When it comes, let it be gentle and patient.
    Or, mad with joy
    Grabbing me up and pulling me into the dance.
    Drums and horns
    Shouts and stomping feet and reckless abandon.

When it comes, let me be with Sara
    My warmth and my refuge
    My window into eternity

Thank you, all

Ergo

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    When It Comes

Or, mad with joy
    Drums and horns

My warmth and my refuge
    My window into eternity

Thank you, all

Ergo
    Wow, that is beautiful, thank you for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    Greetings,

I wanted to personally call/e-mail the "crew" who really, really helped Sara and I with a very nasty job but I can't find my trusty phone book that has all the numbers. And since Phil liked the poem. Here's another that I wrote last week.

When It Comes

Or, mad with joy
    Drums and horns

My warmth and my refuge
    My window into eternity

Thank you, all

Ergo
    I like your attitude....a lot. I hope I have the cojones to be the same.

I've got a small box of stuff for you, will be mailing it this weekend.