Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing the first boat

Wow. You did it. I'm impressed. And Hatikva is a beautiful boat. Again. Wow. And even though the loa is only two feet longer than a Cal 2-27, the waterline is two feet longer, too. Wow. I look forward to seeing Sail #6609 on the water with you at the tiller. Welcome, Alex

Thanks Jackie I look forward to all the fun I've been missing out on all my life.

I've been about a week away from buying a nice clean 2-27 without an engine (if anyone is interested, it's now up for grabs at Richmond Yacht Club Foundation for $3K. It's not listed yet, just give them a call) when I saw Scott's add on Craig's list and, well... it was too good to pass up, even though I was kinda looking forward to fooling around with electric propulsion. The fact that the boat was all set up for single-handing was a huge bonus, seems like Scott really had all the important pieces taken care of.

Now, if I can get it down to Coyote Point without running aground... I've been looking at the charts between Richmond Pt. and there sure are a lot of flat spots. Any advice for the trip?

Cheers,
    Alex.

Fooling around with electric propulsion. Oh yeah, that does sound like fun. Not. Anyway, Mike Farrell of Yellow Jack used to keep his Cal 20 at Coyote Point, if you give me your email privately I will forward it to him. He and I sailed into and out of that marina in good wind. There is a narrow channel surrounded by death defying shoals (only kidding about the death defying part. really. they're just ordinary shoals). Of course, Mike could sail the River Styx smoothly without going aground.

Thanks Alex.
    Just get her to the start line and she will do the rest. That boat sails itself such a balanced helm and very simple setup. I love that boat. I am sure you will too. I hope to see you out there. You should do the 3 Bridge. It is always an interesting race. A good one to start on as well because it is a reverse start so you don't have a bunch of boats to deal with at the starting line.

Scott

She sure was easy to handle on the way to Coyote Point. Unfortunately I've had to motor-sail after Bay Bridge as I had a late start and was running out of day light quickly, and am I ever glad I didn't go the electric way. It would've been much more nerve-wracking it I had. That diesel is sweet, 6.5 Kts without straining even after I dropped the sails on approach. The sail to the bridge was very nice as well. The only problem was the jib kept getting blanketed by the main downwind, I guess I'll have to get familiar with that massive spin pole soon. After I tightened the tiller bolts, steering was nice and tight.

As for TBF, I definitely plan t join in on the fun, just have to get comfortable with the boat first. This past weekend had been a write-off, but I have some quality time planned for this one!

How is your new ride coming? Will you be there at TBF? Hope you get squared away by then, but if not, you're always welcome to join me on Hatikva.

Speaking of the passage to CP, big thanks to Mike for the great pep talk and Jackie for introducing me. It was a big help, especially on the approach. Despite that, I did manage to run aground slightly while rounding the corner at the entrance, but was going so slow at that point I barely noticed it at first. A little reverse engine got me free.

Scott, I see you bought Ergo. What. A. Great. Boat. And that you are registered in the Fiasco. Was Bill pleased to know that he sold to a SSS sailor?

Because your skills will grow quickly once you start sailing frequently, don’t buy a boat so safe and stodgy it’ll put your grandmother to sleep. Instead, find out what boats are popular in your home waters, especially among racing sailors. Even if you don’t race, you’ll soon want the performance of a racer. One thing all sailors enjoy is coaxing more speed from their boats, and that’s more fun if the boat has the speed potential to start with.

I sailed out of Coyote Point for years, and will almost certainly do so again when I take the plunge and buy another "big boat". Dock 11 is a great place to keep a boat, hidden from the prevailing winds by the hill. I sailed into and out of berths at the north end of dock 11 dozens of times.

Cal 2-27's have been a popular boat in the SSS for many years. I remember Terry McKelvey's 2-27. She did the SHTP in, hmmm....something like 1998, maybe? '96?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"