Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comment on Ocean Racing Requirements Requested

The boat is defiantly bipolar.

One rule I am wondering about is the requirement that "A bilge pump shall not be connected to a cockpit drain." That is exactly how mine is connected. On my Express 27, there are two 2" drains that travel aft from the cockpit to the transom just above the waterline. The bilge pump outflow, a 1" hose, is attached to one of these drains.

I do plan to put a thru-hull in order to be legal, but my boat does not have any other thru hulls other than these two cockpit drains. It seems like it will not make the boat much safer to put a thru hull.

The cockpit drainage is probably about at the requirement of 1 sq in of drainage per sq ft of cockpit. The Guzzler 400 pump has a rated capacity of 10 gallon per minute, so that would not do much to impede the flow out the cockpit drain.

The first photo shows the 2" pipe that leads aft from the cockpit to the transom. The 1" bilge pump outflow hose is plumbed into that pipe.

The second photo shows the bilge pump mounted to the aft end of the cockpit.

So my question is why does the rule specifically say the pump outflow cannot be attached to the cockpit drain? Presumably it could share any other thru hull including the sink drain or the head outflow (neither of which I have). I guess maybe because the bilge pump is considered a "last line of defense" in case the cockpit or cockpit drain itself is breached. But these other things, sink drains and heads, leak, as well.

Todd

Name:  photo (14).jpg
Views: 305
Size:  82.0 KBName:  photo (15).jpg
Views: 374
Size:  90.0 KB

For those with bi-polar boats, Micarta is an amazing and historical material. In the 50's and 60's, before plastic, epoxy, and carbon fiber came on the scene, Micarta (also called "Bakelite," and Phenolic Resin) was the material of choice for blocks, winches, sheaves, cleats, etc. It was light, strong, impervious to water and sun, and could be easily moulded, cut, and drilled.

You may want to take your bi-polar boat on Antique Roadshow and see if they recognize the Micarta. Good stuff, that.

Todd, I don't know the official answer but I would ask for a waiver before you drill any holes in your boat.

My secondmanualbilgepumpthatcanbeoperatedbelowdeckswi thallhatchesclosed, and complied with an OYRA rule that is no longer in existence, and was the FOURTH bilge pump I had to get to comply with everybody's rules - is plumbed into the thru-hull that used to be for my sink drain and is now for my electric bilge pump. My boat has a sink in the head but not in the galley - I guess J Boats wants to be sure you wash your hands after using the potty.

So on my boat you can but it drains into the bilge, where the electric pump then pumps it out - I think.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-20-2013 at 05:55 PM.

how about a PLB instead of an EPIRB? And what about access to weather information? Would the Dial A Buoy via my cell phone count? Or the weather channel on my vhf given a mast head antenna?

Jackie, The NCORC MRs will require an EPIRB in 2014. I don't know what the SSS will do - whether it will require the NCORC MRs or modifiy them? I also don't know what the Coast Guard's attitude is about PLBs. (You might notice the Coasties on the AC Committee Boat checking to make sure John Craig follows the wind/current rules - it's a whole new ball game out there!). If you're only going to sail the LongPac or Hawaii race, I suggest renting from BOAT US. That's what I do. No initial investment; no expensive battery update. Same for a life raft. Renting from Sal makes sense if you're only going to need one once in awhile. Ask Sal what it costs to repack a liferaft! Sat Phone? I'd rent. The nice thing about renting is you ship the stuff back and don't have to worry about keeping in up-to-date.

However, it you're going to race multiple races that require the equipment, go ahead and purchase it. But remember that requirements change, so someone with an older EPIRB without internal GPS might find it useless.

About weather. Cell phones only work so far out. My ATT&T phone will connect to a couple of miles beyond the Lightbucket and but not up at Drakes Bay. I think it works along the San Mateo Coast for the Spinnaker Cup and Windjammers. There are weather apps that would probably provide a real information for the area as opposed to specific information from a single buoy.

Here's what I think about ocean sailboat racing. It's expensive! But then, most serious sports are. Look at any serious yoga class, golf course, bike rally, s&m chamber and you'll probably find expensive clothing and equipment. Some costs for long distance races can be moderated by renting, but most of the stuff needs for safety or just to sail the boat is expensive. I budgeted $20,000 for my PacCup adventure and saved up for quite a few years before spending it. And, that's about what it cost, if I don't count the carbon fiber sail, chart plotter, and several other pieces of equipment which I am still using. Putting money away was the only way I could afford it, and it was a once-in-a-lifetime event for me.

Pat

Respectfully submitted:
    23. 406MHz EPIRB or PLB properly registered to the yacht (EPIRB) or owner (PLB) is required. After
    1/1/2016, this device must be self locating.

ps Pat, to clarify (and reassure) our readers, what is an S&M chamber?
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-22-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Jackie, First, I apologize for the EPIRB/PLB snafu. I was using my "travel" laptop, which I don't do very often from home and apparently the NRORC version I have on it is a beta version and not the finalized one. I guess I'll be buying a new EPIRB or PLB for next year anyway since my current one doesn't have GPS - along with a new handheld VHF with DSC.

Now about that S&M Chamber. The best example I can think of is a Moore 24 cabin equipped for the doublehanded PacCup race. There's lots of expensive doodads stuffed in, along with all the other supplies and just enough room for the off watch to crawl into the single sleeping bag with his/her head right under the main hatch cover, which is sure to leak. ;-]

In the vernacular of the day:

"I Googled it and I'm, like, whoa Pat!"