Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needed: 12' spinnaker pole

Default Mike sold me his old spiinny

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Thanks, Ronnie. Mike Farrell of Yellow Jacket is a friend, but he buys $50 sails, has them adjusted, and never sells anything. That gives me another option for size, though. I'm pretty clueless about spinnakers (never having flown one). Should a beginner get a smaller one or is it determined solely by the boat's size?
    Wrong, Mike did sell me an old spinnaker a few years ago. It is a little narrow in the shoulders for a Hawkfarm, but that's probably why I've not crashed when flying it. He said it was old, when I looked at the head more closely, I read "measured 1967". However, it managed survive 32 kts in the last Delta Ditch, so I can recommend his old cast offs.

If anyone needs a 13' pole, Symetrical Spinnaker with 52' luff, and/or North Sock for same, send me a PM.
    Last edited by winefood; 01-28-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Should a beginner get a smaller one or is it determined solely by the boat's size?
    Hi Jackie. First calculate your maximum non-penalty spinnaker dimensions from the formulas in the PHRF guidelines.

I think it makes sense to go a little smaller to start. But if you can, look for a smaller foot (or maximum girth, usually the same as the foot) rather than a smaller luff. The reason is: you're going to hoist the spinnaker all the way up, and if you have a short luff the center of effort is way up high. Also it may be hard to set the pole high enough. A skinny but full-height spinnaker will be easier to handle. (Or so I read, somewhere sometime. Makes sense to me.)

My favorite websites to look for used sails are Masthead in Florida and Minney's in SoCal.
    Last edited by Critter; 01-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Drew Harper at Spinnaker Sailing at Pier 40 has owned probably half a dozen SC 27's over the years. I'll bet if you called him or Garrett and inquired about SC 27 kites, they would probably sell you one. I am going to hit him up for a couple of headsails.

SC 27 rig is a couple feet shorter as the boat weighs less than half as much, but the luff of the kite is fine. A good resource is sailboatdata.com. That site has rig dimensions for pretty much every boat out there. You can look up your rig dimensions and then cross-reference with other designs and figure out which popular one-design boats have similarly sized sails and you can scavenge used sails from them.

Thank you, Ronnie. Sounds like an excellent resource. I'll call him tomorrow.