Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Coast Shorthanded Boat

Take the Express and...
    add some form of inboard, the Columbia 32 has a retractable design that looks nice.
    add a bridge deck to the cockpit, a decent hatch would be nice.
    add a small bulb to the keel to improve the stability index (107). The boat doesn't need it but soon the rules will require it.
    add a forward crash bulkhead.
    add foam (25 cu ft) for positive buoyancy.

Not too different from the Antrim 27 actually, is it. Perhaps too powered up for singlehanding.

Well mini's are ridiculously overpowered, but then I really am not interested in sailing a mini, nor a 24-26 foot version of a mini. For one thing, I want a boat that goes to windward well, and for another...while I don't mind some spaghetti in the cockpit, I don't need the kind of twiddly-bits-all-over-the-place that you get with a mini. Also, some breakage is inevitable, but Phils experience with breakage in WAFI is kind of sobering. Not interested, not this guy.

I'm really not thinking about "what stock, readily available design is good?" but rather, ----> If the collective genius of the SSS came up with a performance oriented, Pacific Coast singlehanded racing boat, what would it look like?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I'm really not thinking about "what stock, readily available design is good?" but rather, ----> If the collective genius of the SSS came up with a performance oriented, Pacific Coast singlehanded racing boat, what would it look like?
    I've been thinking of one, but you'll need to like skinny boats.

WAFI is a Proto and so it's - shall we say - tweeky. But I think a fleet of Pogo 2's (which are series Mini's) within SSS would be great.

Solid boat, amazingly comfortable down below, fixed keel, no water ballast, etc. You can always reef - I do it a lot.

Well, got a drawing? :lol: Skinny is good, but you gotta be able to do a LongPac in it.

Personally, if I had no interest in ever , ever again sailing past the Farallones, Half Moon Bay or Drakes Bay, and money were no object, I'd love an Esse 8.5.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The Esse's a sexy boat but I wouldn't take it past Bonita.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Well, got a drawing? :lol: Skinny is good, but you gotta be able to do a LongPac in it.

Personally, if I had no interest in ever , ever again sailing past the Farallones, Half Moon Bay or Drakes Bay, and money were no object, I'd love an Esse 8.5.
    Oh, if I ever build it, it will go to HI.

easy trailerable would be important to me. So that means 8'6" beam limit. I think being able to seat 4 in the cabin w/ basic cooking. Buoy racing with a crew of 3. about 3000 lb. (dry weight) limit. 27', 28', 29' ?

Take an old beater Santana 27 - dump the deck/cabin and remove the keel. Cut off the bow and transom and save the lead from the keel. Spread the hull a little, add a plumb bow and scoop transom with a cassette rudder at the end. Build a new cockpit/deck/house (with plenty of room for sleeping and eating). Cast a bullet from the old lead and put it at the bottom of a drop keel. Pop in a rebuilt saildrive. Punch a hole in the bow and stick in a retractable sprit and exchange the short Tuna mast for a taller recycled one. Build a low trailer and a tripod hoist system for getting the mast in and out with no outside help. Tow it behind your beat up Econoline. Then paint the boat yellow. Hey wait! Gordie's done that already.