Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Three Bridge Fiasco Registration Open

Default 2013 Three Bridge Fiasco Registration Open

The SSS board, ahead of schedule, has opened registration for the 2013 Three Bridge Fiasco and 2013 Membership.

Let us know if you have any difficulty getting signup online.

I must admit I am 'out of the loop' on SSS news, but are there any changes planned for the 3BF with respect to the restricted areas?
    Last years events left many unhappy, particularly the skippers who followed the rules...

No changes (yet) that I know of. The board will be meeting later this month to finalize the details.

I have a couple ideas about ways to better enforce the restricted areas and will float those out to the board, but the best thing is for all racers to be willing to file a protest. I know this is unpalatable for some (especially in the SSS) but that's how these things are supposed to be kept in check. It starts with knowing how to lodge a protest, notify the offending boat, etc.

If it has to happen, I'd rather keep it to a professional resolution in "the room" than a free-for-all at the awards meeting.

More to come.

Protests by other boats will not work.

Excerpt of a post after last years 3BF (and award ceremony...):
    http://www.sfbaysss.net/showthread.p...=5226#post5226

"What I think the SSS should do:

1. Add graphics of the restricted areas within the SI (SSS is working on this; great!)
    2. Show the restricted areas in the online registration and force an acknowledgment (similar to the safety stuff)
    3. Add a paragraph to 3 (Disqualification without hearing) in the SI. “3c: Violates any restricted area”
      then spread the rumor that land observers, photoboats and dedicated vessels will be out to enforce 3c.

"

I'm curious to know why you think protests will not work. They do in other sailboat races.

If it's because skippers refuse to file them, I want to work to take away that stigma and inform skippers how to file them properly/timely. If we don't do this our races will become free-for-alls.

I may in fact bring my boat down from Vallejo and "patrol" the Long Wharf restricted area, but this shouldn't be necessary and it sounds like a pretty crummy way to spend the day.

Ursus, it sounds like you're suggesting that protests by boats wouldn't be allowable if the RC is given the right to disqualify without a hearing. I don't believe that follows, and it certainly wouldn't be the intent of the rule. Or am I missing your point?

Sorry for being too brief.
    Boat to boat protests should be unchanged, but 3BF history teaches us that they don't solve the problem of the restricted areas.

With the current SI, the RC can already 'disqualify without hearing' yachts that: a) Impede the passage of some vessels b) Finish in the dark without proper light
    Why not simply add: c) Violate a restricted area
    If that change was well publicized, it would act as a pretty strong deterrent.
    If there are still significant violations, a DSQ without hearing causes a lot less hassle and bad blood than a boat to boat protest.
    Last edited by Ursus; 12-18-2012 at 11:06 PM.

How will the R/C know a boat has violated a restricted area? Not arguing, I'm just wanting to know how you propose to make this work.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    How will the R/C know a boat has violated a restricted area? Not arguing, I'm just wanting to know how you propose to make this work.
    I am pretty sure that changing the SI and spreading the rumor that the RC, or someone deputized by the RC, may be watching will do the trick.
    Once the mass restricted area violations end, individual violations will be pretty rare (some SSS races have no problems with RA at all, even though they pass the same areas as in the 3BF...).
    If that does not work in 2013, send someone out in 2014 and flick a few prominent violators, it's not a huge effort.
    Again, my proposal is not suitable to handle rare, individual violations, but 3BF has a problem of another magnitude...

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    Boat to boat protests should be unchanged, but 3BF history teaches us that they don't solve the problem of the restricted areas.
    Respectfully, I think it's the opposite. 3BF history reveals a lack of protests over restricted areas, which has probably caused the abuse seen in recent years.

With the current SI, the RC can already 'disqualify without hearing' yachts that: a) Impede the passage of some vessels b) Finish in the dark without proper light. Why not simply add: c) Violate a restricted area?
    Because the R/C lacks first-hand evidence of a RA violation - see my question in post #8 above. With (a) they have a call from the ship or CG (see the SSI's) and with (b) they have a first-hand observation, usually at the finish line. To disqualify without a hearing you really need first-hand evidence.

If there are still significant violations, a DSQ without hearing causes a lot less hassle and bad blood than a boat to boat protest.
    I think these are the root issues - the hassle of filing a protest and the fear of "bad blood" for doing so. Neither is a sufficient reason for transferring the skippers' responsibilities under the RRS to the R/C. The other skippers are in a position to see a violation and notify the offending boat. They just need to be willing to do it. If the offending boat doesn't retire, the recourse is to file a protest. This is not my idea - those are the rules under which we race. If it causes "bad blood" then the offending skipper should consider golf or something.
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-19-2012 at 06:59 PM.