Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: sss hmb and ncorc rules

Default sss hmb and ncorc rules

I see the NCORC recommendations have been posted and the SSS is going to use them for the HMB Race. I feel that a lot of the requirements will cause less boats to race. In the past the SSS HMB race has been a good starter race for those looking to get into ocean racing. I think the regulations also will keep out a lot of the one design boats like Moore 24's and Express 27's.
    My main gripes are: Complicated lifelines for small boats when jacklines could be used. Toe rails 3/4 inches. Masthead antennae. SOLAS flares, PFD with 33 lbs buoyancy and crotch straps (Inflatables are the only ones to meet this without going to a very bulky type 1), An EPIRB plus DSC VHF and the SAS seminar. This race is a mid summer 21 mile with usually a less than 10 miles offshore reach. (We have found the hardest part was the beat out the gate) I appreciate what the NCORC council has done and can understand the requirements for other races such as the Farallones, Lightship and other spring races but not the SSS HMB. Please discuss.

Jonathan, look at the last couple of HMB entry lists. I did and the only boats that had issues were Jackie's Cal 20 (sold) and Matt's Wilderness 21 (just bought lifelines). I hear what you're saying though - maybe we'll keep away entries we would have had, or more likely SSS's previous ocean rules kept them out.

Since the NCORC MOR (fka MEL, then MER) are recommendations to race organizers, there is certainly room for discussion. For now I'd lean towards trying to work within them, perhaps with individual waivers as requested.

Sorry to be so chatty today - I'm home with a flu-like thing.

You have 24 days to get well before the Fiasco. That Flu thing has been going around. Does anybody know the weather history of the race? I may be biased but every one I've done has either been a drifter or a really nice white sail reach in 10-15 knots. (Then setting the chute for the last mile.) I talked to 2 people who didn't do the race last year because of the cost of SOLAS flares and PLB EPRIB for the one doublehanded ocean race of the season.

Jonathan, this is why it is so great to belong to the SSS: there are people from whom you can borrow stuff for races. I only sold my Cal 20 because I wanted to buy a bigger, fatter boat. Which I did. Otherwise I'd still be complaining about that lifeline requirement. And everything else, too, in part just to see what Bob has to say. The 2 past years I sailed to HMB I borrowed flares (a gun, which seemed very naughty and NRA), a legal PFD (I left that in the cabin and wore my dinghy lifevest which I know floats) and jacklines. Oh, and I borrowed a MOB, a spotlight and a horseshoe. Also battery operated nav lights just in case mine didn't work. I bought jacklines, which are too short for my boat now. You can borrow those.

Thanks Jackie, I already have the stuff and we did the race last year. I'm more concerned about new young racers and the old farts on Moores and such. (And Cal 20's.) Most of the list is fine because it's mainly the CG regs anyway.(and common sense) But can we require a handheld VHF with DSC/GPS or PLB but not both? They cost about $250 each. I would prefer the VHF as they should work for the short offshore distance during the race. (I'm assuming a 5 watt handheld will reach the CG all the way down to HMB so is a masthead 25 watt needed?) Do the boats need to talk to the RC? The RC is on the move to the finish so boats can't talk to them until the RC arrives at the HMBYC anyway. Jacklines are easy and simple to hook up to small boats and Lifelines are not. Are jacklines only that much more unsafe in the usual conditions of the race? SOLAS flares are great (and scary) but are they really needed when you are so close to the other boats while racing? Or are the 12g ones fine?

Jonathan wrote: "In the past the SSS HMB race has been a good starter race for those looking to get into ocean racing."

If that's true (and I believe it is) then we want new skippers to start bringing their boats up to offshore spec's, right? So they try HMB, borrow some gear to see what it looks like and maybe get familiar with it, and then move on to equip their boats to do OYRA/SHS, SH Farallones, etc. That's a big part of what SSS is about (read our home page) - not just to run races.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Jonathan wrote: "In the past the SSS HMB race has been a good starter race for those looking to get into ocean racing."

If that's true (and I believe it is) then we want new skippers to start bringing their boats up to offshore spec's, right? So they try HMB, borrow some gear to see what it looks like and maybe get familiar with it, and then move on to equip their boats to do OYRA/SHS, SH Farallones, etc. That's a big part of what SSS is about (read our home page) - not just to run races.
    But maybe get their feet wet so to speak before making the big investment? The NCORC regs will be the same for the SSS Farallones and HMB. Are these races that similar? I just see a need for compromise. For now I'll keep quiet and see what others think...

I totally agree with Jonathan. It's a new SSS Board and many of the clubs and skippers that also participipte in SSS races also belong to other sailing organizations. In fact, a good percentage of our skippers also participate in other race series. As a past board memeber, I know I made a few mistakes during my first year "calling the shots". The issue, for me, making those decisions came down to to choosing the greater good over what only applied to the particulars that were best suited the SSS. While we are a significant and valuable part of the Bay Area we depend on other clubs for support of all of our activities. Most changes happen early in the season and The TBF is the first big race of those seasons. If anyone is particularly upset, sure, voice your concerns or better yet sign up to help on a race deck and experience the joy of running the TBF. By the way. both BobJ and Jonathan have taken more than their collective share of time in the Barrel.

Bill Merrick

What is the reasoning for both a life sling and a horseshoe?
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-04-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    What is the reasoning for both a life sling and a horseshoe?
    One is for retrieving a person from the water and getting them back onboard, the other is for returning to the location where the person went into the water.

- rob/beetle