Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sss hmb and ncorc rules

Here, here, Bill,

Yep, get in the trenches with me for the 3BF and see how it all works. I agree with Bill whole-heartedly and have always believed I find value in something I have had to spend money for. Freebies are just that, freebies and most of the time they end up, somehow, not being freebies. Of course, borrowing is another discussion. Thanks, Jackie, that's a good point. If someone invests time and money n their equipment on a boat, and hence their life, doesn't s/he value it more? Won't he/she take better care of it? Just asking and love SSS. See you the 23rd! And, of course, I am looking for volunteers the 26th.

must admit i'm scratching my head a bit after reading some of these new requirements.... that's my polite, discreet way of saying that some of these new regs are utter BS

let me get to "adding" more gear to my boat that just raced around the farallones, to hawaii, several times inter-island.... just so i can race to the farallones again. retarted.

sorry, i didn't add any tact to my coffee this morning.
    Last edited by ronnie simpson; 01-21-2013 at 11:36 AM.

You should have seen where they started out Ronnie - nearly the full ISAF Cat. 2 requirements. After no small amount of lobbying, NCORC ended up taking SSS's list for ocean races and adding a couple things. Trust me, it was going to be a much longer list.

Specifically, what items do you need that you didn't already have for the Hawaii race?

My masthead antenna is less than 15 inches tall (Shakespeare Racing one). Besides, my stern-pulpit mounted antenna works awesome. And it provides redundancy for losing a rig. When I did DH Farallones and OYRA light bucket last year, this was all I had and was legal. Now it's not. Just left scratching my head a bit as to why.

I un-installed my instrument package to pay for shipping home, but now i'll need t re-add a thru-hull, depth sounder, wiring, display. Really left scratching my head on not allowing lead lines like in the past.

My VHF radio is not DSC capable, so i'll need a new VHF radio. And what is an MMSI number? Don't we already have required PLB's? This is redundant, no? Not a bad thing, but what is this addressing that a PLB doesn't?

Having bought all the SOLAS flares just before SHTP, i know that is an investment. For boats that don't have those, is a normal USCG-approved set from West Marine for $40 not really adequate in the Gulf of the Farallones?

For some reason YRA still has the old Minimum Equipment List on their website. Here's the new one we're talking about:

http://www.norcalorc.org/node/32

Ronnie, check that antenna. I recently helped install one and if it's the Shakespeare coiled/spiral one, its 15" long.

You can't use a lead line while racing around the Farallones. They're fine for anchoring in shallow water but not much else. That option was always a bit of a joke.

You don't have to have a DSC-capable radio until next year but if you understand DSC and the new Rescue-21 system, you'd understand why YRA is moving in that direction. BTW, I'm selling my ICOM 402 w/DSC (25W) if you or anyone else wants to get one cheap. Even has the RAM mic. I never entered my MMSI so it's good to go.

There was a trade-off on the flares. Fewer flares are required but they have to be good ones. If you've ever seen SOLAS flares and non-SOLAS flares fired off side-by-side (I have), you wouldn't bother with non-SOLAS flares.

Hi Ronnie ...

Sorry if you missed the discussions on Pressure Drop and Sailing Anarchy. As you might expect, they sometimes got ... vivid ... and they had some influence on the final product.

Are you sure about your antenna length? That 15" minimum was written specifically to allow a common Shakespeare racing antenna. 5216 is the model number I see.

Nobody wants to add a thruhull, but I hear most depthsounders can be made to work without one, if you experiment with location inside the hull. Have you ever used a leadline? While racing? I'm skeptical that anyone without a lot of experience tossing it could get a reliable reading while moving. And we want something that racers will actually use.

DSC was put off for a year so that we're not hit with all the new expenses at once. With DSC, the SOS gets out immediately, as opposed to waiting til a satellite passes over. And your friends on nearby boats get the message, not just the Coast Guard. MMSI is a registration number that you program into the unit. Easy and free.

Max

Matt Beal and Tony Bourque both assure me that my new Humminbird depth finder/fish finder will work fine. It promises depth to 600 feet. Cost $113 @ Defender and the sensor gets fiberglassed to the inside of my hull. I'll let you know.

I'm still wondering why the NCORC list for the SSS HMB Race. The Farallones Race, OK. Two DSC radios plus EPIRB? Thats $750.(Not counting a masthead install) SOLAS flares for a short race with other boats around you? We don't have to follow the list and NCORC have even said that themselves. Why can't the different races be taken individually? The HMB is part of a race series that should be accessible to more boats with the one throwout for boats not set up for the Farallones. Should we have 2 throw-outs for the boats that can't afford to comply for the HMB?

SSS's HMB race isn't until mid-August and boats will need to get ready for the SH Farallones first. Some will also be gearing up (literally) for OYRA, where I'm told waivers will be few and far between. After the 3BF I'm sure the board will be looking at this.

And again, DSC radios aren't until next year.

I guess I'm not really getting the answer I'm looking for so my question must be wrong. Does the board believe the HMB is in the same category of ocean race (in terms of risk factor) as the Farallones? What if the only ocean race you plan to do is the HMB? I'd rank the races progressively. HMB basic CG requirements, Farallones NCORC, Longpac and Transpac as is. (or what the Race Chairs deem appropriate)