Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changes to the season scoring for 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    Last year I wasn't able to make one race and my crew and his dad did it instead. It certainly wasn't to get any advantage, but having that flexibility did allow us to remain competitive on the season standings.
    Really? On the others I'd be willing to wait and see but this one seems more appropriate for a beer can series, if at all. How about if I'm tied for the DH season and I bring in Skip to sail the final race, and I'm not even aboard?

On the DH'er racing once as a SH'er, I'd feel better about average points (vs. a "win"). I agree with Dan that you could really juice your DH score.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-06-2013 at 10:49 PM.

The problem with average points - and this applied when we had the credit for working race committee too - is that your score changes retroactively as the season goes on. It's a real hassle to calculate (not so much for Jibeset as when I was doing it!), and if you're serious about beating so-and-so for the season it's harder to calculate what you have to do in the final race.

Dan made a good point that's occurred to me too: by the time you really care about your points in SSS, you're probably a competent singlehander anyway. What we need is a way to lure neophytes to the dark side.
    Last edited by Critter; 01-04-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Agreed on the hassle part. What about using your last DH score? "Gee, we did great in that last race. Maybe I'll step up to the challenge and race single-handed next time - at least I know my results won't suffer."

Not trying to make this hard and I'm willing to try it as is - just seems pretty generous.

Regarding the neophytes, I think it's a great idea for a few SH's to take them along. It's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make for someone who convinced me they were serious about single-handing. I don't think you can "incentivize" it in the scoring (we're fiddling with that too much already in my view). But I think it would be the most effective way to get more single-handers out there. Vallejo Yacht Club has a whole harbor full of prospects.

I wonder how many skippers would sign up for a special race just for this purpose. That would take away the "sacrifice" vis-a-vis season results. I think you've done this, Jim has offered before for OYRA, I would do it.

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAX! I heard it's a round number.

Last edited by BobJ; 01-06-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post

Really? On the others I'd be willing to wait and see but this one seems more appropriate for a beer can series, if at all. How about if I'm tied for the DH season and I bring in Skip to sail the final race, and I'm not even aboard?
    Then you would have established your reputation with the rest of the skippers. I doubt Skip will sign up for that

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    The problem with average points - and this applied when we had the credit for working race committee too - is that your score changes retroactively as the season goes on. It's a real hassle to calculate (not so much for Jibeset as when I was doing it!), and if you're serious about beating so-and-so for the season it's harder to calculate what you have to do in the final race.

Dan made a good point that's occurred to me too: by the time you really care about your points in SSS, you're probably a competent singlehander anyway. What we need is a way to lure neophytes to the dark side.
    I tried thinking of a few other ways of encouraging SH participation and I came out to the conclusion that the Vallejo race already serves this purpose. It forces DH skippers to sail SH on Sat, and SH skippers to sail DH on Sunday. So you get to try it both ways.

Another option would be to turn one of the in the bay races to SH only, but the DH count of races is already small so it might be better to add an in the bay SH only race.

Another option is to count all the races, including the SH only races (Farallones, Vallejo-1, but not the SHTP) to the season standing for the DH racers as well. DHers will have to do those races single-handed but we would generate a separate overall scores for SH and DH for season scoring purposes. This will introduce a 2 throw-out series for DH as well. They can still do well by doing the DH only series but could improve their chances by joining the SH only races.

Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    Then you would have established your reputation with the rest of the skippers. I doubt Skip will sign up for that
    I'm sure he wouldn't either, nor would I ask him in those circumstances - but it makes the point. How do we know your crew's dad isn't Dennis Conner?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'm sure he wouldn't either, nor would I ask him in those circumstances - but it makes the point. How do we know your crew's dad isn't Dennis Conner?
    possible but improbable. I don't think there is any history of abuse and the previous wording I believe was sufficient, I just don't have it handy to compare. I think I'm going to start archiving SSI's

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    And on Beetle's opinion to get rid of season championships, which he's expressed before, I just don't get it. If you want to find out who can sail the best on a given day, why wouldn't you also want to see who can keep it up over the course of the year?
    No, I'm not interested. Each of us owns a boat that will do well on one course and not so well on another, and that's ok - everyone brings the boat they have to the start line and goes with it. Sometimes a boat will do great, sometimes it won't. Same is true for the skipper - sometimes all the calls are spot-on and sometimes you goof big time; but we all are (hopefully) out on the course to do as well as we can in what we brought, and have a really good time doing it.

I raced for quite a while in the OYRA and the only trophy that mattered was the Season Trophy - OYRA didn't have a skippers or trophy meetings until the one meeting at the end of the year by which time most folks had forgotten which races they had done well in, or which races they had sailed in. By contrast the SSS is super at having fun meetings for each race (two meeetings, even!), the racers can appreciate who did well and why in each one and by the end of the year I've forgotten who won most races or what they did - I'm still enjoying learning about who won the most recent race and what they did (that I probably didn't do). Because each race is important, fresh (and therefore relevant) in its own right, I don't see the value of trying to wrangle an UberSinglehander out of the results - an overall winner is simply not the purpose of the SSS - at least that's how I see it.

Plus, we don't have to drag each other over the coals regarding trying wrangle an 'in' or an 'out' in order to create the best possible circumstances for being the singlehander of the year. IN fact, I much preferred it when Joe Therriault would calculate the overall SSS racer using his secret formula (none of us knew his methodology) and yet he was able to surprise everybody at end of year when he trundled out the trophy and would say, "Guess what! - somebody won an extra trophy!" and would award it. That was fun - as you never knew what was going to happen, and as nobody paid attention to it through the year it was always a surprise.

- rob/beetle
    Last edited by tiger beetle; 01-08-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Rob, funny you would mention "fun meetings" tonight on this forum 'cause you wouldn't believe the amount of emails flying back and forth among the board members tonight already planning the FUN things for 1/23. We'll deal with 2/13 later! I am voting as the best email the one sent by Matt, our awesome webmaster who most times is pretty silent when we get to yammering back and forth. Whoops, that particular email had to do with multihulls, not fun meetings! Oh, well, at least our new commodore was amused. He even mentioned something about all of us vying for spots as stand-up comics! See you the 23rd!