Thread: Suitable small offshore boats and capsize ratio

Default Suitable small offshore boats and capsize ratio

Recently had a discussion with someone on another board about suitable small boats for singlehanded (but not only) offshore racing. Person I was in discussion with hasn't raced offshore (but has cruised a lot, done an ocean crossing, etc.) and was vehement about capsize ratio numbers for determining offshore boat suitability. Contessa 32s were mentioned, boats which became well known for their stability after surviving Fastnet '79, and have a capsize ratio under 2 (1.79, to be precise), which is considered good. I "countered" by listing various boats that have, for example, successfully done the SHTP, all with capsize ratios over 2: Cal 20, Moore 24, Merit 25, Santa Cruz 27, J/30, J/90, Olson 30. (Obviously, lots of other small boats have been offshore successfully, but I don't know their capsize ratios.)

Obviously, the capsize ratio number has some "meaning" --full-keeled Contessa 32s are stable, I guess one could say-- but, on the other hand, capsize ratio is obviously not the final word on offshore stability --there are many other factors, as well as conditions that determine stability and how prone a boat is to capsize. No one should choose a boat based on that number, or make that number a main consideration.

Which leads to the question --if it is of limited value, given that the boats listed above have done the SHTP and/or return successfully, is the capsize ratio of much value? Or, perhaps stated better, how much use is paying attention to that number? Is it maybe a case that capsize ratio, while of value, simply is given more credence than it is worth?

I hope to do the SHTP one day, and would probably choose something small, affordable to me, and fast, like an Olson 30, maybe a Moore 24 or Santa Cruz 27, since they're "proven"...but that doesn't mean I'd take one across the North Atlantic, to windward, in a gale-prone November...which is perhaps where a boat's capsize ratio has more meaning? I.e., based on conditions? Thoughts?

I'd be more concerned with those numbers for the return trip.

Default Suitable Small Boat

I agree about being more concerned with upwind sailing on the way back from Hawaii. There are lots of good "going to Hawaii" boats that would be miserable sailing back on.

I think the capsize ratio is one of many considerations when it comes to selecting a boat - small or large. Making sure all the systems are in good condition, being prepared for emergencies like missing rudders, and having good communication/safety equipment are an important part of safely sailing any boat in open water. Plus, a boat that's just plain comfortable to sail solo is important; if you can't get rest or have to work too hard you're in danger no matter how stable the platform.

Ideally if conditions are "capsize time" you've reduced sail, perhaps removed sail, perhaps are on a sea anchor, lots of perhaps. Along with selecting a boat that's comfortable for you and within your price range is using common sense about when to go where. . . . unless you're a crazed Frenchman determined to sail around the world alone in the shortest time, which means highest wind. (I like the virtual version myself.)

Even the best, Skip comes to mind, sometimes find themselves overwhelmed by conditions, and that's when good communication/safety equipment can be the most important things to save your life.

Pat B.