Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RoundPac

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default RoundPac

Greetings:
    After two SHTPs I had to ask myself, "Why do that again......" There are some very good reasons but given the time and money no good ones for me. Then I had the thought of doing another SHTP but not stopping in Hanalei after finishing. Just head North and go home. What if a future SHTP offered the option of doing that as the next level in a SHTP, with a 24-hour stop in Hanalei to re-stock/fuel, etc. Anything over 24-hours gets penalized. 50 day time limit. DH option for return, but no DH fleet - skippers choice. Everything else pretty much the same.

Might be a way to get some vets back in the mix and would be the longest shorthanded race in N0. America.

Bill Mrrick

All good Bill, but the finish should be in Port Townsend or maybe Victoria. I'd want to spend the rest of the Summer touring around the Salish Sea and Puget Sound. As long as I can hit Bubba's Burgers (in Hanalei) I'd be good.

I'm still semi-serious about a solo Tahiti race, to start earlier in the season. SH to Tahiti, DH back up to Hawaii and winter over there, or if you're in a rush, sail home. It's a lot of time on board a boat without standing headroom, but sitting here at a desk in mid-January, it's sounding pretty good.

ON A RELATED TOPIC - Heater Meals wouldn't cut it (gagging just thinking about it). I need to learn how to cook boat food. I have LaDonna's notes from the SHTP provisioning and nutrition seminar, and I need to put some serious thought/experimentation into this.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.

I have a very stable two burner alcohol stove you can use. Origo is the brand, I think. It came with my boat, and is in the trunk of my car. I'll show you at the skippers meeting on the 23rd.

Thanks Jackie. It's not an equipment problem - I have a little stove. It's a knowledge problem and to some extent, a storage problem. This isn't the typical coastal cruising - it's long offshore passage-making as far from land as you can get.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Once upon a time, some guy cooked up an idea for a race called the CrossPac. SF -> Hawaii -> Tonga -> Australia.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

IMO, anyone who sails into Hanalei Bay and deliberately leaves the next day has a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I have a very stable two burner alcohol stove you can use. Origo is the brand, I think. It came with my boat, and is in the trunk of my car. I'll show you at the skippers meeting on the 23rd.
    Those stoves are awesome. I had the 1-burner on my Albin and loved it. Jackie, is it gimballed? If Bob is not interested, I might be if you are looking to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    Greetings:
    After two SHTPs I had to ask myself, "Why do that again......" There are some very good reasons but given the time and money no good ones for me. Then I had the thought of doing another SHTP but not stopping in Hanalei after finishing. Just head North and go home. What if a future SHTP offered the option of doing that as the next level in a SHTP, with a 24-hour stop in Hanalei to re-stock/fuel, etc. Anything over 24-hours gets penalized. 50 day time limit. DH option for return, but no DH fleet - skippers choice. Everything else pretty much the same.

Might be a way to get some vets back in the mix and would be the longest shorthanded race in N0. America.

Bill Mrrick

Well, it's clear that the drugs are in charge.

In all seriousness, a race from Honolulu to SF would make a lot of sense. Do it a month after SHTP so that it runs in conjunction with the Pac Cup returning boats. After the Transat Jacques Vabre, they have a race called "Transat B to B" which takes sailors back to Brittany. Would make a lot of sense to give west coast sailors a race back home. There's really no downside to a race like this. The only thing that would kill an obscure race like this is lack of entries, but with 80 boats racing to from SF to Hawaii every 2 years anyways, one would think that if a potential return race were to take place this would be a logical choice.

Last two trips home have involved 1,100 to 1,400 miles of relatively warm and stable broad-reaching to running conditions... After a long close-reach north of Hawaii and skirting the edge of the high, it's all spinnaker work back to the GAte....

Default Hanalei 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    In all seriousness, a race from Honolulu to SF would make a lot of sense. Do it a month after SHTP so that it runs in conjunction with the Pac Cup returning boats. After the Transat Jacques Vabre, they have a race called "Transat B to B" which takes sailors back to Brittany. Would make a lot of sense to give west coast sailors a race back home. There's really no downside to a race like this. The only thing that would kill an obscure race like this is lack of entries, but with 80 boats racing to from SF to Hawaii every 2 years anyways, one would think that if a potential return race were to take place this would be a logical choice.

Last two trips home have involved 1,100 to 1,400 miles of relatively warm and stable broad-reaching to running conditions... After a long close-reach north of Hawaii and skirting the edge of the high, it's all spinnaker work back to the GAte....
    Yes, this does make sense, for those of you with offshore-capable boats!