Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RoundPac

Default Hanalei 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    In all seriousness, a race from Honolulu to SF would make a lot of sense. Do it a month after SHTP so that it runs in conjunction with the Pac Cup returning boats. After the Transat Jacques Vabre, they have a race called "Transat B to B" which takes sailors back to Brittany. Would make a lot of sense to give west coast sailors a race back home. There's really no downside to a race like this. The only thing that would kill an obscure race like this is lack of entries, but with 80 boats racing to from SF to Hawaii every 2 years anyways, one would think that if a potential return race were to take place this would be a logical choice.

Last two trips home have involved 1,100 to 1,400 miles of relatively warm and stable broad-reaching to running conditions... After a long close-reach north of Hawaii and skirting the edge of the high, it's all spinnaker work back to the GAte....
    Yes, this does make sense, for those of you with offshore-capable boats!

Even better. A month on the beach, let the PacCup campers play and then sailing back anyway. I still like the 1-2 skippers option - one fleet and old school no seals, post own times, etc.
    Bill

This Hanalei 1-2 has been bantered about before. If I weren't so old, I'd be a candidate. Just let us stay in Hanalei long enuf to warrant the effort of getting there....

Some years ago I posted a race proposal on Sailing Anarchy, somewhat tongue in cheek, titled the "Great Pacific High Regatta". The notion was to sail to about 25N and 155W, or so. No marks, just make it to those limits and come back to SF. The commentators were as what you would expect from SA. But it seems like a course that would have very interesting tactical challenges. BTW, Bubba's burgers isn't what it once was.

Default Old is good.

Harrier,
    You almost have to be "old" to have the time to stay in HB for a while. BTW, I think that I'm catching up with you age-wise. Aging about a year to each of your months. May not bt able to reel you in, even at that rate, but don't stop looking over your shoulder.

I did a return on Green Buffalo last PacCup and it was more of a race with some boats than others but it certainly made it a bit more interesting (if you're bent enough to need something else that amzaing to be "more imteresting".

I even like the idea of: declare intent; log departure; SH or DH (one fleet0; no corrections; motoring cool; just get back, record time passing under GGB. JUst fun, old school for folks sailing back anyway.

Bill Merrick

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    All good Bill, but the finish should be in Port Townsend or maybe Victoria. I'd want to spend the rest of the Summer touring around the Salish Sea and Puget Sound. As long as I can hit Bubba's Burgers (in Hanalei) I'd be good.

I'm still semi-serious about a solo Tahiti race, to start earlier in the season. SH to Tahiti, DH back up to Hawaii and winter over there, or if you're in a rush, sail home. It's a lot of time on board a boat without standing headroom, but sitting here at a desk in mid-January, it's sounding pretty good.

ON A RELATED TOPIC - Heater Meals wouldn't cut it (gagging just thinking about it). I need to learn how to cook boat food. I have LaDonna's notes from the SHTP provisioning and nutrition seminar, and I need to put some serious thought/experimentation into this.
    Bob,
    I'm probably getting ahead of myself since I'm still in Australia trying to find a buyer for Idefix, but after missing Tahiti this time around, I'm still looking for an excuse to go there. It would be a pity not to stop in the Tuamotus first though...

As for boat cooking, I've found that I can't really cook at sea on a boat with no galley, but heating up canned things with a couple fresh ingredients is a big step up from freeze-dried or dehydrated meals. I'm a fan of cabbage, yams, eggs and cured meats, but I was unpleasantly surprised how some perishables that will last a whole SHTP will go bad in 3 days once you're a little south of Hawaii.

Adrian