Page 244 of 628 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244245246247248254294344 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

AlanH writes on another thread, You want to send five boats out around the world, in old third or fourth generation open 60's? One of those boats, even an old one is $150,000 - $200,000 to buy. They're all in Europe and you need another hundred thousand dollars to update/clean up/sails/electronics/etc. Then, when you've done it, who are you going to sell it to? Who the hell wants an uncompetitive Open 60?

Alan is correct. Except for a famous SSS Boat, Al Hughes' DOGBARK, an older open 60 located in Anacortes, WA. DOGBARK has twice circumnavigated in the BOC Race, sailed by Kanga Birtles.

Al and DOGBARK have been first-to-finish the SHTP 3x. Al has recently sold DOGBARK to long time friends and crew Janna and Graeme Esarey. The Esareys family are leaving this spring to sail the NorthWest Passage on DOGBARK, which was built like a brick ****house. Originally, DOGBARK had 1800 gallons of water ballast on each side. Can you imagine?! That's unreal stability potential.

There is a recent interview with the Esareys in 48 North. Or follow their story at https://saildogbark.com/about/

Good luck to them!

Name:  Dogbark.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  63.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-28-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Serendipity indeed to have both Synthia and Jackie visit Capitola Boat Club on the same day. Synthia was doing canvas work, but found time to visit the cliff with her dog Rreveur.

Name:  Synthia.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  542.5 KB

Jackie joined us at the Harbor, and Syn, Jackie and I pedaled WILDFLOWER around....Rreveur got into the act.

Name:  pedal drive 6.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  772.6 KB

Now I have your attention, if you know someone in need of a boat trailer in Hawaii to ship a boat home after SHTP or PacCup, there is one available. The trailer is double-axle, 10,000 pound max load, surge brakes, and will be carrying a Wyliecat 30 to Honolulu. It is currently empty on the return. Contact Dave at 831-four 76-five 629 for information.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Now I have your attention, if you know someone in need of a boat trailer in Hawaii to ship a boat home after SHTP or PacCup, there is one available. The trailer is double-axle, 10,000 pound max load, surge brakes, and will be carrying a Wyliecat 30 to Honolulu. It is currently empty on the return. Contact Dave at 831-four 76-five 629 for information.
    I have just been told that on Big Island slips are impossible to have and the only way to get a boat there is on a trailer. I was told they're worth 4 times their price ... I haven't verified this first hand: take with a grain of salt as it is a comment from someone on Craigslist ...

OK, here's an historical question. Who was the first singlehander around the 3 Great Capes, as well as first to solo Cape Horn. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. But here's complexity: what two things does this great sailor and his boat have in common with the below boat racing off Port Townsend. Jackie knows. Do you?

Name:  Vito.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  15.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-05-2018 at 02:33 PM.

OK, here's an historical question. Who was the first singlehander around the 3 Great Capes, as well as first to solo Cape Horn. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. But here's the complexity: what two things does this great sailor and his boat have in common with the below boat racing off Port Townsend. Jackie knows. Do you?

Name:  Vito.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  15.0 KB
    Well ... Vito Dumas ... both boats have a mast and forestay ...

Hi PJ,
    Vito Dumas is your correct answer to who first solo-circumnavigated the Southern Ocean, rounding the 3 Great Capes, including first to solo Cape Horn, in 1942. Fearing wartime interrogation, Dumas' only instrument was a compass. He stayed warm stuffing his oilskins with newspaper. No expensive drysuits, electronics, engine, or heater for this intrepid voyager. No reef points in the main, no drogue or sea anchor, no self steering either. Alone Through the Roaring 40's is Vito Dumas' book of the voyage, a classic of maritime literature.

But PJ's answer raises the question: What two things does Vito Dumas and his boat have in common with the boat pictured in the above photo. Yes, "both boats have a mast and forestay." But Dumas' boat, the 31 foot LEHG II, was a ketch....so technically she had 2 masts... And yes, both are canoe sterns with outboard rudders, felt to be the best shape for running hard in gale force and above. That should be a hint.

Here's LEHG II then:

Name:  LEGH II.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  94.3 KB

And here's LEHG II now, beautifully restored and displayed at the Museo Naval de Tigre in Buenos Aires, only blocks from where she was built.

Name:  LEHG II 3.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  9.1 KB Name:  Lehg II 5.JPG
Views: 1115
Size:  69.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-05-2018 at 05:22 PM.

No lifelines.

Greetings from Loreto. B.C.S.
    Tom

Capt.Bob checking in from the Kaiteriteri Coast on the north end of the South Island of New Zealand. He and MJ launched their inflatable SUPs on the beach in the foreground, and paddled a mile out to Split Apple Rack in the background.

Name:  Kaiteriteri Coast.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  687.4 KB

Cap answered the second half of the question, "what is the boat racing off PT and what does it have in common with the great Argentine sailor Vito Dumas and his boat LEHG II?"

Says the captain, "In reply to your blog, I know that boat is VITO DUMAS racing off PT. We met VITO and Alex at Stuart Island..."

Yes! IRUPE, built 85 years ago, was renamed VITO DUMAS in his honor, and today lives in Port Townsend, where Jackie paid homage yesterday. VITO DUMAS is kept in immaculate shape, and wins many of the local races with good sailing, fast sails, clean bottom and feathering prop, and giant foretriangle. OF course it helps the boat is a timeless design.

The last part of the question remains unanswered. Other than her name, what does VITO DUMAS have in common with Vito Dumas and LEHG II?

Here's a pic of VITO taken recently by Jackie on her pilgrimage to PT. That's an unidentified Kettenburg in the background.

Name:  VITO6.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  821.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-06-2018 at 04:57 PM.

The last part of the question remains unanswered. Other than her name, what does VITO DUMAS have in common with Vito Dumas and LEHG II? Here's a pic of VITO taken recently by Jackie on her pilgrimage to PT. That's an unidentified Kettenburg in the background.
    Name:  VITO6.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  821.4 KB
    What does VITO DUMAS have in common with LEHG II? VITO's long time owner, Alex, checks in with the answer:

"The answer to the second part of the question would be that both boats are Manuel Campos Designs. IRUPE, now my boat VITO DUMAS, while under construction in 1933, was the inspiration for LEHG II when Vito Dumas came looking for a boat more suitable for offshore sailing than LEHG I, the 20 year old 8 meter he singlehanded from France to Argentina"

Argentinian designer Manuel Campos was very much influenced by Colin Archer, also William (Billy) Atkin’s 1924 design ERIC. Campos also knew the successful FJORD II, designed and owned by another Argentinian, German Frers Sr. Campos considered these double-ended hulls the best possible model for running in big seas, which Vito Dumas became famous for, never lying to but continuing to run, as he wrote, “on a mattress of foam”…..This convinced Bernard Moitessier to take up the cause of running off 20 years later with his JOSHUA and nearly win the Golden Globe before dropping out to head for Tahiti……..

IRUPE (now VITO DUMAS) and LEHG II are basically sisterships, both 31 feet on deck, and built in the same yard in Tigre, Argentina. LEHG II is a bit deeper and heavier, and a marconi rigged ketch. IRUPE started life as a gaff cutter.

IRUPE (VITO DUMAS) was purchased in 1976 by Alex. "After a period of work combined with shakedown cruises on the California coast, we began a nearly three year cruise that included Baja California, Marquesas, Societies, Hawaii, Alaska, and British Columbia.. VITO has always treated us well, and I have attempted to return the favor by doing the necessary projects to keep her seaworthy and kept up. After 42 years of ownership, VITO continues to challenge and inspire."

"PS, the boat moored next to VITO in Jackie's photo is Kettenburg 43, #11, QUE SERA."
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-06-2018 at 04:58 PM.

"PS, the boat moored next to VITO in Jackie's photo is Kettenburg 43, #11, QUE SERA."
    That Kettenburg Que Sera! is gorgeous. A grand, seriously blue water vessel, beautifully maintained. Alex's neighbor and the owner is David. I had the nicest time talking with him about sailing, Que Sera! and Port Townsend in general.

Turns out he graduated from Magnolia High school in Anaheim, not far from my own alma mater in Santa Ana. David and his wife, Connie lived aboard Que Sera! for the first ten years of their ownership. First they and Que Sera! were in Los Angeles, then San Diego, followed by travels to Mexico, Tahiti, Hawaii, then to Astoria in Oregon on the Columbia River, back to Hawaii and finally now in Port Townsend.

Those are a lot of beautiful places and that's a lot of sailing. After all that time and travel the boat is still in pristine condition. The phrase "a moveable feast" comes to mind. Importantly, David told me that Connie shares his enthusiasm for sailing, which she does right alongside him. And the fact that they chose to settle here after experiencing all those other places says something about this town.
    Port Townsend is remarkable.

I've had a really nice visit, partly because so many people have been engaging and friendly. I should mention that the sun came out today. The sky is a different blue up here, and have I mentioned the Cascade Mountains? There are crocuses and daffodils poking up everywhere. And finally! I saw a nice big sloop out on the water today. Only one, but it looked happy. Wish I'd been on it. Personally? I think a sailboat is necessary for happiness.