Page 357 of 628 FirstFirst ... 257307347353354355356357358359360361367407457 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,570 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Still dropping
    Name:  BBADB755-8C54-4D36-80A7-1E6420E060C8.jpeg
Views: 1125
Size:  289.5 KB

In the eye now. Sorry for the huge pics, feel free to edit
    Name:  E6FFD358-90D9-473A-AFCB-0DE35B85E3BC.jpeg
Views: 1110
Size:  378.4 KB

In the end it wasn’t as bad as predicted. The biggest gust I saw was about 55k ... sustained winds in the low 40s. Fairly common conditions in the winter here. We’re grateful it wasn’t worse.

Wow. Pressure dropping to 971.6 millibars inside 24 hours is extreme...Buoy 46027 is St. George Reef.
    https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=46027 The weather buoy is anchored 2.5 miles NW of the reef and 12 miles south of Brookings Harbor on the Southern Oregon Coast. Brookings is just north of CA border.

Name:  Buoy 46027.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  23.5 KB

While the wind was gusting 55 knots at St. George Reef, the wave height was being measured at 26 feet and swell height at 20 feet. It's amazing buoy 46027, anchored in ~ 150 feet of water, can stay on position in those conditions. Locally here in Monterey Bay, Pt. Pinos "R2" bell buoy, anchored in 180 feet, frequently washes up on the beach. Thanks, Gary, for the reports. Glad all is apparently OK.

~sleddog
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-27-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Southern Monterey Bay is under a High Wind Warning for possible storm force conditions during the next 41 hours. Says the NWS, based in Monterey: "HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 AM PST MONDAY... Southeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts 60 to 70 mph.".

At 6:50pm, Monterey Weather Buoy 46042 is reporting wind speed 35, gusting 47 knots from the SE (40-54 mph).

Though WILDFLOWER rests in a sheltered location on her trailer just inland from the shores of Monterey Bay, I took advantage of a lull in the weather to get the roller furled jib off the headstay and the boat lashed to the trailer (she's a 22 foot cat weighing ~1,200 pounds).

Will the power stay on at Capitola Boat Club? Flashlites and Luci Lights at the ready.

Bolt your socks on, she's a coming to blow.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-30-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Wow. Pressure dropping to 971.6 millibars inside 24 hours is extreme...Buoy 46027 is St. George Reef.
    https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=46027 The weather buoy is anchored 2.5 miles NW of the reef and 12 miles south of Brookings Harbor on the Southern Oregon Coast. Brookings is just north of CA border.

Name:  Buoy 46027.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  23.5 KB

While the wind was gusting 55 knots at St. George Reef, the wave height was being measured at 26 feet and swell height at 20 feet. It's amazing buoy 46027, anchored in ~ 150 feet of water, can stay on position in those conditions. Locally here in Monterey Bay, Pt. Pinos "R2" bell buoy, anchored in 180 feet, frequently washes up on the beach. Thanks, Gary, for the reports. Glad all is apparently OK.

~sleddog
    This buoy (46027) often does not survive the winter.....the current buoy has only been in place a few months. Similarly, the channel buoy here in Brookings that marks the rocks in the river often gets washed away in the winter. Video of boat hitting rocks where the channel buoy usually is:
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=434580863793211
    Last edited by WBChristie; 12-01-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Though WILDFLOWER is inspected yearly by the CG Auxiliary, prominently displays her courtesy sticker, and has never failed an inspection, nevertheless, for unknown reasons, we attract on-the-water Coast Guard safety inspections like bears to honey. Even in the middle of the night, well offshore, on a Pacific Cup.

When asked why they were coming aboard, the most lame reason was "the name on the side of your hull doesn't match what's on the stern."

I explained we were a documented vessel, the yacht's name was on the sides of the hull, and the name, Capitola, on the stern, was the home port, also a requirement.That got us nowhere, and the young Coastie attempted to go below and got hung up in the companionway hatch with the bulkiness of his PFD, weapon and holster, radio, and clipboard. The only time I've ever put my foot on the back of a LEO and pushed hard to free up the situation and enable a safety inspection.

Again this month my 3 required hand flares have expired, as they have every 42 months for 45 years. The manufacturer, Orion, kindly includes a 4th flare when purchasing your packet for $39. Not counting the dozens of SOLAS flares bought for Pacific Races, I've bought about 50 red hand flares over the years. That's a lot of signaling power, surely enough to maim your hand with hot red phosphorus or melt a hole in one's life raft.

Name:  Flares2.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  11.9 KB

(DAZZLER recommends carrying safety gloves in your flare kit if preparing to handle an active hand flare.)

With all this expense, and not wanting to buy yet more hand flares to replace the perfectly good ones with bad dates, I went for an experiment: And purchased a $60, "Coast Guard Compliant" Weems and Plath SOS Light Electronic Flare. "Never expires," "floating and waterproof," "lifetime warranty," "visible up to 10 nautical miles." "Miami International Boat Show Innovation Award Winner," " complies with the Buy American Act."

I can't wait to test the claimed 10 mile viz. Howard might stand at Twin Lakes Beach some dark, clear evening, and I'll be down at Sunset State Beach, just north of Moss Landing, with my sunglasses on. "Ya see my SOS Howard Spruit?" I'll ask over our cell phones.

Batteries not included.

Name:  Distress Flare.png
Views: 1514
Size:  7.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-03-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    I can't wait to test the claimed 10 mile viz. Howard might stand at Twin Lakes Beach some dark, clear evening, and I'll be down at Sunset State Beach, just north of Moss Landing, with my sunglasses on. "Ya see my SOS Howard Spruit?" I'll ask over our cell phones.
    Name:  Distress Flare.png
Views: 1514
Size:  7.5 KB
    I too got tired of being a good boy scout every three years, so I also bought the same brand electronic flare earlier this year.
    It was essentially the same price as pyrotech compliance. Seemed like a no brainer at the time; I put it in the ditch bag.
    Gee, I sure hope they work!

Please let us know if Howard could see; I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Till then, I'm going to keep all my expired pyrotechnics to fend off any pirates I run across in the bay or along our coast.

Although "NANCY" carries In-date offshore racing compliant rockets, hand flares, and smokes, I bought one of the floating red things a few years ago. I keep it at the top of my signal kit, so I don't have to lay out a bunch of flares to be inspected for that courtesy visit. My evaluation of its usefulness isn't very good. It's true that in complete darkness a small light will be visible a long distance, but I also wonder about 10 miles - at water level - top of swell at best.

In addition to the in-date flares, I have a handful of 2nd-generation flares in the kit. If I really need help I plan to light up the sky. I've seen parachute flares fired in an emergency and truly believe them to be best. Smoke in the daytime, that was real, too, before the orange smoke turned to black and the crew on the burning power boat jumped off. I don't know why they had a smoke canister, but they did and it worked. The first good samaritan pulled them onboard before I could even get the motor started and sails down. There's the remains of a 38-foot cabin cruiser somewhere between Yellow Bluff and the entrance to Raccoon Strait.

Flares...**sighs**

cha-chinnnggg....but necessary. I hope to finally do the Singlehanded Farallones again in 2020, I'll be going to Sals before then.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"