Page 497 of 628 FirstFirst ... 397447487493494495496497498499500501507547597 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,970 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Congrats to Todd on GWEDOLYN just finishing his 400 mile Qualifier for the 2023 SHTP after multiple attempts. That determination should stand him in good stead. GWEN's time was 3 days, 5 hours. The second half featured same light SW wind currently delaying the Pac Cuppers.

Skip, I can't figure out that Yellow Brick. Seems like the positions of some boats are tracked two minutes ago while other boats are tracked twice a day, if that. I give up trying to figure out how everybody is doing. It looks like the Pacific High is going the wrong way. According to YB, the wind will be on the nose the whole way. Why is this so hard to read?

I am just going to give up, wait for you to anticipate strategies, which is what you know better than anybody. Please, Sir! Offer up conjectures! Give us something to think about! What might those people be thinking out there? For instance, why is Surprise! going so far south? Bob and Dave are smart sailors. Surprise! is beautifully maintained, well prepared. What the heck are they thinking? This armchair ocean sailor wants to know!

And Todd? Good job! I look forward to seeing you arrive in Hanalei Bay next summer.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-05-2022 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    For instance, why is Surprise! going so far south? Bob and Dave are smart sailors. Surprise! is beautifully maintained, well prepared. What the heck are they thinking? This armchair ocean sailor wants to know
    Bob and Dave know what they're doing; the group going more north has me wondering.
    Last edited by Intermission; 07-05-2022 at 07:57 PM. Reason: less is more

Well, since they're probably not chasing Solis, maybe they're thinking the Erkelens know what they're doing? Maybe the Erkelens knew what Dave and Bob know now before they knew they knew it. Huh? Maybe. Skip will know all and he might tell us after his morning sojourn on the water.

Skip, I can't figure out that Yellow Brick.
    Hi Jackie, Yellow Brick polls the boat tracker once/hour and posts positions 20 minutes after the hour. Those positions are old as they are delayed 4 hours. YB is not in the weather forecast business, so whatever wind arrows you are looking at are suspect. YB is not in the race handicap business, and those crowns over the class leaders boat names are bogus also. As for where to go on the course, deep south looks better to me. If you can get there. Which many can't. Except for anxious delivery crews, it's likely to be a smaller group of sailors attending the scheduled pool parties beginning in two weeks at KYC. KYNNTANA made 12 miles towards Hawaii in last 24, and 12-WINDED SKY 1 mile.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-06-2022 at 06:55 AM.

Well, since they're probably not chasing Solis, maybe they're thinking the Erkelens know what they're doing? Maybe the Erkelens knew what Dave and Bob know now before they knew they knew it. Huh? Maybe. Skip will know all and he might tell us after his morning sojourn on the water.
    With CRUZSEABABY and AZURE heading to Alaska, PUFFIN going in the direction of Coalinga and 12 WIND SKY heading towards Las Vegas via Atascadero, I was able to contact the Erkelens on FOAMY who are leading the Pac Cup fleet due south, seemingly intent on going to Disneyland instead of Kaneohe. With Mexican waters ahead, I can't reveal Bill and Melinda's intentions. But it's all good.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-06-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Hal and Margaret Roth were prolific writers and photographers. I'm sure many have enjoyed their books, sometimes focused on misadventures, such as being shipwrecked near Cape Horn...

I'm guessing it was 1983 or 1984 when there was a knock at the door. I was greeted by a smallish individual with a Down East accent and grumpish manner..without even an introduction, he got straight to the point. "I want you to help me build a boat for the Around-the-World Race."

"OK," I replied. "What do you want and when?"

"One of those 50 footers you race downwind. I think you call them sleds. I want it as soon as possible"

"Coming right up," I sarcastically replied, matching his mannerism. "What did you say your name is?"

"Hal Roth."

I dialed the phone to Bill Lee. "Hey Bill, a gentleman here named Hal Roth wants to take us to lunch and order a custom Santa Cruz 50 for the Around-the-World Race. Can you meet us at the Crow's Nest in half an hour?."

I have to hand it to Hal Roth. Over lunch, he and Bill Lee negotiated the purchase of a custom SC-50 that Hal Roth would finish off himself. I choked over some of the details. For example, the cockpit was to be as deep as Mr. Roth was tall. "You're gonna need a stepladder to get out of there," I said dryly.
    "Won't be," he growled. "I'm not getting on deck. Everything leads to the cockpit." *(see photo below for how that turned out.)

Hal also wanted water ballast. Lots of it.

Hal Roth's Santa Cruz 50, #28, was launched two years later, the next to last Santa Cruz 50 built. He named her AMERICAN FLAG. Shortly after, AMERICAN FLAG became a shoe, SEBAGO, after Hal Roth's favorite topsider moccasin.

For dinner and history walk at the Capitola Boat Club, here's four questions.

Hal Roth completed 3 circumnavigations T/F
    Hal Roth capsized his Santa Cruz 50 in the Indian Ocean, re-righted, and kept on sailing. T/F
    Hal Roth completed two non-stop circumnavigations. T/F
    Hal Roth's Santa Cruz 50 was first-to-finish a Singlehanded Transpac. T/F

Attachment 3664
    Hal Roth didn't win first-to-finish in the 2000 single-handed Transpac!
    Anna
    First to Finish 2000 SSS Transpac - Santa Cruz 50

Quote Originally Posted by Ye-Ha View Post
    Hal Roth didn't win first-to-finish in the 2000 single-handed Transpac!
    Read the T/F question closely. Does not say Hal Roth was F2F in a SHTP. But his boat was F2F in 2000 under a different owner, Anna Stockel, and different name, SUNDOWNER. Answer would be True as posited.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-07-2022 at 09:32 PM.

Water ballast trumps waterline (at least on a beam reach in TWS 15 knots): BLUE, a RIPTIDE 41 with waterballast is going a full knot faster than anyone in her Pacific Cup class including the SC-52 CITY LIGHTS and three J-125's.

Name:  paccup3.png
Views: 573
Size:  305.3 KB

Name your prize: What does BLUE have onboard in common with the recent winner of the R2AK, TEAM PURE and WILD? The answer is most definitely not an engine. And we are not talking water ballast either...something else important. Extra credit if you can name what regular member of this Forum is currently working in close proximity with No Feet Pete, and Leo's talented crew on TALLY HO in Port Townsend.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-07-2022 at 10:12 PM.

Don't know the answer but I like the idea of extra credit. Makes me think "extra ice cream".

That must be Tom P up there in Port Townsend, getting ready to go north? What? No photos?

Re: water ballast. Will this do away w the need for hungry crew leaning over the lifelines? No crew needed,no matching jackets?
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-08-2022 at 07:57 AM.