Page 519 of 628 FirstFirst ... 19419469509515516517518519520521522523529569619 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,190 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    The professional team will come in at this evening's high tide, put a strap around the keel, and pull her off with their powerful towboat. Likely damage will be minimal except the rudder will be bent or broken and the bow cleats have been ripped out. Attachment 7670
    The pros appeared on schedule, 2 hours before high tide, rigged the keel strap, and began to pull. With each breaking swell, the grounded vessel advanced a few feet seaward, and after 30 minutes it was all done. If you are going to go aground in Monterey Bay, best to call these guys at Vessel Assist ASAP. Monte Ash and his crew know how to get the job done. http://www.towboatussantacruz.com/

Name:  Monte1.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  2.72 MB

Name:  Monte2.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  1.81 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-19-2022 at 06:43 PM.

The pros appeared on schedule, 2 hours before high tide, rigged the keel strap, and began to pull. With each breaking swell, the grounded vessel advanced a few feet seaward, and after 30 minutes it was all done.
    Very impressive and what a relief! She lives to float another day. What kind of boat is that? I couldn't quite read the name on the stern. Looks nicely kept up. Not a racer, but pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Very impressive and what a relief! She lives to float another day. What kind of boat is that? I couldn't quite read the name on the stern. Looks nicely kept up. Not a racer, but pretty.
    Boat name: KOHALA Home Port: Monterey
    Boat Species: Newport 30 (Gary Mull design) .

Name:  Capitola Beaching 2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  2.51 MB

As we remember the saga of KOHALA from pages 518-519, she'd washed up on Capitola Main Beach Sept.19, 2022, and was eventually towed off the next day, seeming to be headed for a new life. Alas, unlike ROSEBUD, KOHALA was abandoned again and now sits tied to the guest dock at Santa Cruz harbor, stripped of everything of value, and awaiting disposal into the dumpster. Sad.

Name:  Kohola2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  335.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-21-2023 at 12:26 PM.

Agreed Bob !
    She was fun to watch as her skills improved, and listened to coaching attentively.

Boat name: KOHALA Home Port: Monterey
    Boat Species: Newport 30 (Gary Mull design).
    After my morning paddle, I swung by KOHALA moored at the boatyard. While the owner was below with the surveyor, I chatted with the wife who said she had warned her husband about putting chafing gear on mooring line to the rode on the buoy... Apparently he declined and in the ensuing wave action, the mooring line jumped off the cheesy anchor roller sold by Worst Marine for $40. Once off the Delrin roller, it didn't take long for the nylon rode to chafe through on the sharp edges. Strike 1.

The lady then volunteered that they were not aboard and had been caught unawares by the strong southerly wind and waves Sunday afternoon and evening. Not sure what planet they are living on, but the high wind and swell had been forecast for 3 days in vivid color. Strike 2.

The "Capitola Marina" is anything but, being wide open with a 7,000 mile fetch to the south, and south west. The wharfies know this, but are too busy drinking beer (illegal on the Capitola Wharf) to care about their renters who are paying $30/night for the privilege of hanging off a suspect buoy. At least they could show a modicum of seamanship, get in their panga, and go check on the 8 boats moored to their buoys. KOHALA is not the first breakaway, nor will it be the last. Had KOHALA hit the Wharf instead of landing on the sandy beach, thousands of dollars of damage could have been incurred the Wharf. As well, the boat would have ended up in fiberglass splinters on the popular beach. Strike 3.

As I paddled off, the "meeting" was beginning on the dock, Present and accounted for was Captain Monte from Vessel Assist, Homer the surveyor, the insurance agent, the boatyard owner, and the boat owner. Not looking good for the owner of KOHALA.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-20-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Wait, the anchor rode was still in the bow roller? Not attached to a cleat? Not attached to both cleats, even with an untidy bridle like the kind DM''s skipper uses? Huh.

Over the weekend I was impressed by s/v Rainbow's bridle, and then some hookie thing which attached to the chain closest to her bow before it was lowered into the water. The idea, said Cliff, was that the bridle, attached to two (monster) cleats at the outer corner of each of her two amas (?) would take the shock load.

Cliff said he woke several times during the night in HMB to check that his bruce anchor held. It did. Good thing, because this passenger slept like a baby in a crib.

Wait, the anchor rode was still in the bow roller? Not attached to a cleat? Not attached to both cleats, even with an untidy bridle like the kind DM''s skipper uses? Huh. .
    Hold on. What I wrote above is "the mooring line jumped off the cheesy anchor roller sold by Worst Marine for $40. Once off the Delrin roller, it didn't take long for the nylon rode to chafe through on the sharp edges.."

Name:  anchor roller.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  34.1 KB

Would DM's anchor rode stay on the bow roller if the pull was sideways or up? 3 boats have gone on the Capitola Beach this summer for this reason.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-20-2022 at 05:35 PM.

DM's skipper is slightly smarter than to leave her rode on the anchor roller. Puleaze.

I bought an anchor roller that looks just like that, except that I bought it at Svendsen's chandlery back in the day. I have some residual trauma about pulling up anchor, so I will exit this thread to breathe slowly and deeply.

Was it hurricane Liza, in 1976 at Cabo San Lucas that taught us the hard way about cheesy anchor rollers and the importance of bails to keep the rode in place, and prevent the cheeks from bending from side force??

Or was it Kiko in 1989?
    Last edited by Intermission; 09-20-2022 at 05:42 PM.

I bought an anchor roller that looks just like that, except that I bought it at Svendsen's chandlery back in the day. I have some residual trauma about pulling up anchor, so I will exit this thread to breathe slowly and deeply.
    There seems to be residual trauma about pulling up anchor singlehanded on another thread also. Having recently pulled a dozen anchors of all variety, back to back, a couple of tips. You don't need 300 plus pounds of anchor, chain, and windlass in the bows of your 30 footer. 25 feet of chain is sufficient, in a milk crate, as is a scope of 5:1. Run the rope rode aft to a primary winch and take up slack as you motor (or sail) slowly ahead over the anchor. Pull the anchor vertically or nearly so. Otherwise a well set anchor won't budge.

Chafe at the bow will always be a concern. There are many ways to protect. 2' of rubber garden hose on the rope is what I use and can be slid along to any position.

Why, you ask, was I pulling a dozen anchors? Was on the anchoring crew for 21 110's at their recent National Championships. We gave every one a fixed mooring of anchor, chain, rode, and marker buoy. The biggest challenge seemed to be wind against tide, when the rode wrapped on the fin keel of several boats, holding them sideways. Still, no moorings dragged.

Once, in La Paz, Baja, where there is strong afternoon sea breeze against current we had 66' MERLIN well anchored. Only problem was the rode was not only around the keel, but prop as well. That took a bit of head scratching.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-20-2022 at 06:11 PM.