Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee View Post
    If you don't want to ship her back when you reach Kauai, there is a nice Olson 30 fleet in Nawiliwili. You would have no problem finding a buyer and getting a fair price for her. They're totally competitive there.
    That'd be my preferred option ... not sure how to go about it ... start posting an add on the HI craigslist?

I've gone back to the boat 3 times this week. I brought back all the goodies and cleaned up a bit. It seems there is still a bit of a smell ...

I also did a few small projects:

1. Better sealed the mast entry;
    2. Sealed (or tried to) the stern hatch: I haven't tested this one so I'll have to give it a go to confirm what I did will work;
    3. Installed a new/better pin on the tiller for the auto-pilot actuator (tiller wand), which will also give me a backup, and upgraded the Pelagic software;
    4. Confirmed that the wind instrument transducer is not working and I'm talking with Raymarine;
    5. Tried to figure out a solution to the radar reflector chafing its hoist line (I have it on the backstay): no success here yet;
    6. Started playing with the laptop and OpenCpn: I was able to leverage the existing setup to connect the NMEA data, the VHF AIS and VHF GPS.

As usual when I list things like that it doesn't look like much: I'm really slow!

On a side note I don't have the life raft anymore.

What's next for me now?

1. Move the boat to another yard as I only have until January 2018 in Santa Cruz: I'm likely going to end up in Brickyard Cove;
    2. Figure out my options for weather forecasts and routing;
    3. Practice downwind sailing with spinnaker in stronger winds and using a poled out twin head sail setup;
    4. Test falling overboard and coming back on board;
    5. Fix wind instrument.

A long journey continues ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    5. Fix wind instrument.
    Raymarine says it's the ITC-5 (converter/network/"brain"). The voltage going up is 3 V instead of 8 V. I wonder if anyone else has had it fail.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep
    What's next for me now? 1. Move the boat to another yard as I only have until January 2018 in Santa Cruz: I'm likely going to end up in Brickyard Cove
    congratulations! btw - Berkeley Marina is 1/2 hour closer and there are tons of available slips.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    congratulations! btw - Berkeley Marina is 1/2 hour closer and there are tons of available slips.
    Wasn't there a conversation about the Alameda dry storage/hoist being closed in the near future?
    Also ... how quickly can one get sailing once the boat is in the water? It takes me all of <10 minutes in SC and it looks like Brickyard is just the same but Alameda requires motoring out (I don't like my engine).

Logging how I wasted my time today ...

I tried stuff with grib files:

1. Created an email account on myiridium.net;
    2. Emailed saildocs for a tiny grib file;
    3. Got that back with the Iridium web Android app;
    4. Transferred to laptop and opened the file OpenCpn and qtVLM.

Yo! Now ... which files to request and how to use them ...

Philippe, I purchased my Iridium Go! through Predictwind which also included their service. It was very easy to set up and reasonibly priced. I used it all the way to Kauai at found it quite accurate...except for the squalls��. You might want to give them a try. Plus it includes their tracker service.

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee View Post
    Philippe, I purchased my Iridium Go! through Predictwind
    I was also considering them but I was told that they're not allowed under the SHTP rules.

Here’s a start:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/internet.htm

National Weather Service Products Available Via E-MAIL (FTPMAIL)
    National Weather Service marine text forecasts, radiofax charts and buoy observations are available via e-mail. Further, FTPMAIL may be used to acquire any file on the tgftp.nws.noaa.gov FTP server. The FTPMAIL server is intended to allow Internet access for mariners and other users who do not have direct access to the World Wide Web but who are equipped with an e-mail system. Turnaround is generally in under one hour, however, performance may vary widely and receipt cannot be guaranteed. To get started in using the NWS FTPMAIL service, follow these simple directions to obtain the FTPMAIL "help" file (11 KBytes), or CLICK HERE.
    -In plain text format-

Send an e-mail to: NWS.FTPMail.OPS@noaa.gov

Subject line: Put anything you like
    Body: help

Other resources:

A Mariner’s Guide to Marine Weather Services Coastal, Offshore and High Seas
    https://www.weather.gov/media/owlie/mw_coastal.pdf

WORLDWIDE MARINE RADIOFACSIMILE BROADCAST SCHEDULES
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf

"I was also considering them but I was told that they're not allowed under the SHTP rules"

Ah yes...I suppose I should read the rules. The funny thing is I never used the routing software, only the grib files which are all NWS and international weather info. The routing is useless anyway, but rules are fucking rules.