Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sss raid

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I think this is a little confusing. Jim is suggesting that the RAID be held as an informal part of RYC's Totally Dinghy, which is scheduled for the weekend of September 21/22. Alan's RAID was scheduled for the weekend of Vallejo 1-2 October 19/20. Two separate events as far as I can tell.
    Actually, I suggested that we have the RAID on a weekend that didn't conflict with an already-existing SSS event, but Jim and Ants can do it on the V-1-2 weekend, so here we are.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Actually, I suggested that we have the RAID on a weekend that didn't conflict with an already-existing SSS event, but Jim and Ants can do it on the V-1-2 weekend, so here we are.
    Dont view this as a one time deal - but the start of a few RAIDs per year. The first one coincident with V 1-2 is like a bicycle with training wheels (plus the great fun at VYC over a few beers :-) ).

Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    Dont view this as a one time deal - but the start of a few RAIDs per year. The first one coincident with V 1-2 is like a bicycle with training wheels (plus the great fun at VYC over a few beers :-) ).
    Excellent. A Man with a Plan.

I can't join the RAID next month but I'm interested in future events. I've long admired the Potter Yotters and the locations they visit, but I couldn't bring myself to sail that slowly.

What boats make sense for RAIDs in and around San Francisco Bay? I'd want something I could sit in, not on, with some storage/shelter, and that is responsive for sailing. Probably with a gunter rig to slip under low bridges without dropping the whole mast. As posted above, self-rescuing would seem to be important as well.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-02-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I can't join the RAID next month but I'm interested in future events. I've long admired the Potter Yachters and the locations they visit, but I couldn't bring myself to sail that slowly.
    What boats make sense for RAIDs in and around San Francisco Bay? I'd want something I could sit in, not on, with some storage/shelter, and that is responsive for sailing. Probably with a gunter rig to slip under low bridges without dropping the whole mast. As posted above, self-rescuing would seem to be important as well.
    There really is no such animal commercially made that I know of. Try and find a commercially made dinghy with a gunter rig, for example. This article, and the boat it represents are just about ideal from what I can see, and right along the lines of what you've suggested.

http://www.hostellerssailingclub.org...y-for-cruising

In terms of safety, it's pretty hard to beat the Boston Whaler sailboats, with all their internal flotation, but you'd have to replace the rig with a gunter. It might be worth trying to find a 15-18 foot dinghy with no mast, and re-rig the boat. John Welsford has a few boats which sail well enough and have excellent setups for rowing.

And of course, river of Grass that Tchoup is building.
    Might look at the Core Sound series, but their whole "thing" is the twin cat rig.

I can't join the RAID next month but I'm interested in future events. I've long admired the Potter Yachters and the locations they visit, but I couldn't bring myself to sail that slowly.
    Likely bigger and more work that you're looking for, but this fine Ted Brewer design is located a couple of trailer spots down from me in Alameda.

1994 26' Nimble Kodiak Pilothouse Motor Sailor For Sale

Owner says he'd take significantly under the current list price (even with the posted price drop).

FWIW. DH

Your J was a sit on boat IMO... and the nice thing about sit on boats is you can flip them sideways to get under low bridges. Didnt you have your J sideways a few times...:-)

I tried to avoid getting Rags sideways while under low bridges.

We had a Cape Dory 10 when I was a kid. It had a gunter rig and I was able to circumnavigate Government Island without any trouble. That P14 I was drooling over also had a gunter rig. Nice too because all the spars fit easily inside the boat.

I tried to avoid getting Rags sideways while under low bridges.

We had a Cape Dory 10 when I was a kid. It had a gunter rig and I was able to circumnavigate Government Island without any trouble. That P14 I was drooling over also had a gunter rig. Nice too because all the spars fit easily inside the boat.
    Yeah the Penobscot normally has a gunter. But that's a handmade boat, not a production.

I didn't know Cape Dory MADE a 10-footer. Very cool.

Bob, your comment about gunter-rigged dinghies and my assertion that there weren't "production" gunter rigged dinghies is off the mark.

The Tideway Series of dinghies from the UK, are available as gunters. Some of their models are nesting dinghies like the PT 11.

Name:  gunter.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  123.5 KB

The old standby, the Mirror is a gunter. I had a plywood mirror for a while, and I liked it.

Name:  Mirror-dinghy.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  53.8 KB

Some of the Drascombe boats...like I think maybe the Dabbler?? are gunter rigged.