Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jacklines

Default jacklines

Would anyone like to sell me jacklines? Dura Mater is 27' long.

Default Jacklines

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Would anyone like to sell me jacklines? Dura Mater is 27' long.
    I got a great price from these guys. $ 0.35 cents a foot for 6600 lb polyester webbing. Received it in 3 days

http://www.readystrap.com/ (email Gary if interested)

Regards, Greg

What a great source! Thank you!

REI has excellent prices on the webbing.

Great referral! Now all I have to do is figure out if 9 kilonewtons will meet Oyra requirements hahaha and jeesh! 1kilonewton=one pound, Rei's climb spec tubular webbing = 9 kilonewtons. Unfortunately none of REI's webbing meets OYRA requirements for jacklines used offshore. How is that determined at inspection time? Dunno. So much esoterica, so little time.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-07-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Great referral! Now all I have to do is figure out if 9 kilonewtons will meet Oyra requirements hahaha and jeesh! 1kilonewton=one pound, Rei's climb spec tubular webbing = 9 kilonewtons. Unfortunately none of REI's webbing meets OYRA requirements for jacklines used offshore. How is that determined at inspection time? Dunno. So much esoterica, so little time.
    Hmm...thanks for pointing this out - you made me worry about my jacklines so investigated further.

By my calculations, 9kN=2023 lbs. (One newton = 0.22481 lb; one kNewton = 224.8 lbs)

Rules ="Jacklines that have a breaking strength of at least 4500 lb. and which allow the crew to reach all points on deck, connected to similarly strong attachment points, in place while racing."

REI offers 1" tubular webbing with 17.8 to 18 kN strength, pretty close to the required strength (18 kN = 4046 lbs) (http://www.rei.com/product/737298/bl...ubular-webbing) at 0.36/ft. This is what I used. If you want stronger or longer lasting, run spectra through the webbing. While some suppliers offer webbing of up to 4,500 lbs spec, I seriously doubt that the webbing sold by most reputable suppliers differs widely. Certainly climbers place large dynamic loads on webbing when things go south.

One tip before rigging your jacklines. Check to see if continuous or discontinuous (not fore and aft, P & S) are required by the inspector. Ruben had to switch from discontinuous to continuous before the Transpac, and I had to switch back before the Long Pac. Rationale is to prevent loss of all jacklines and crew with a single failure, so discontinuous makes sense.

Good luck and happy rigging....Pogo
    Last edited by JAMcDonald; 08-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBReno View Post
    REI offers 1" tubular webbing with 17.8 to 18 kN strength, pretty close to the required strength (18 kN = 4046 lbs) (http://www.rei.com/product/737298/bl...ubular-webbing) at 0.36/ft. This is what I used. If you want stronger or longer lasting, run spectra through the webbing. While some suppliers offer webbing of up to 4,500 lbs spec, I seriously doubt that the webbing sold by most reputable suppliers differs widely. Certainly climbers place large dynamic loads on webbing when things go south.
    And that's why the SSS won't accept 1" tubular nylon for jack lines - we all know the breaking strength does not meet the 4500 pound requirement. There are plenty of places to special-order thicker, stronger webbing, and the material I use has a break strength of 6,000 pounds, it's solid (not tubular), and slightly thicker than your average 1" tubular webbing, took about a week for it to show up after ordering.

I would not call it a good idea to use 1" tubular nylon when you know it doesn't meet the specification (even though close). I am making an assumption that the specification was set at that value for a reason and I'm not questioning the need for 4500 pound minimum break strength, especially as it's an easy requirement to meet.

- rob/beetle

Good point Rob. Guess I'll be changing out Pogo's jacklines! Have no clue about how that standard was set. Where do you get the special-order stronger tubing? My last compliant jacklines before REI were sourced from CMC Rescue @ $26 for 50' (http://www.chiefsupply.com/cmc-rescu...ng-1-x-50.html).

Quote Originally Posted by SMBReno View Post
    Good point Rob. Guess I'll be changing out Pogo's jacklines! Have no clue about how that standard was set. Where do you get the special-order stronger tubing? My last compliant jacklines before REI were sourced from CMC Rescue @ $26 for 50' (http://www.chiefsupply.com/cmc-rescu...ng-1-x-50.html).
    My homework led me to polyester flat webbing .. as nylon has unacceptable stretch. At 0.35 cents a foot I found this guy tough to beat. http://www.readystrap.com/ You do have some large-ish knots at the ends unless you're comfortable sewing or having loops sewn on. I think Gary would sew you loops if you gave exact lengths to them. I tie water knots used in the Rescue world that works quite well.

Regards, Greg

Thanks for tip Greg. I use water knots in webbing as well. John