Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halyard hitch

Default Halyard hitch

Talking to Greg about snap shakles and how they are expensive on a 40 ft boat, we agreed that using a hitch to secure the halyard to sails may be best. I've seen 3 ways to do this:

1. Buntline hitch: https://www.animatedknots.com/buntline-hitch-knot;
    2. Halyard hitch: https://www.animatedknots.com/halyard-hitch-knot;
    3. Halyard hitch (go figure): https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/halyard-hitch

They're all compact knots that would get tighter under pressure. I think #2 is the way to go as it looks like the one that would be less stressed under tension and be most secure.
    Last edited by jamottep; 02-14-2020 at 11:10 PM.

A couple suggestions from Brion Toss's book - Rigger's Apprentice are -

Brummell splice if you want to have a single line that serves as port and starboard sheet. (Page 167)

For single sheets, an eye splice at the sail end of the sheet and a soft shackle attaching that to sail. No worries about lines continually tightening. (Page 388).

Since book is copyrighted, I won't post the pages on the forum, but will gladly send you versions if desired.

The soft shackles would be useful in any number of other situations.

Caveat - I have not used any soft shackles since the last time I bought marine lines was in the 90's. I am catching up on the new high modulus lines and how to splice them to use effectively. My Moore 24 works with low loads and small lines in comparison.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Talking to Greg about snap shakles and how they are expensive on a 40 ft boat, we agreed that using a hitch to secure the halyard to sails may be best.
    They're all compact knots that would get tighter under pressure.
    I can think of half a dozen scenarios where being able to remove a halyard from the head of a sail on a RTW attempt would be advantageous. The only knot that can be released without a knife after being put under halyard tension is a bowline. Sure, without a thimble, a bowline can weaken a halyard. But dyneema is so strong and chafe resistant, even weakened by 50% at the knot, it far exceeds the breaking strain of the halyard...the BS of a 5/16" dyneema halyard is 13,700# and BS of 3/8" dyneema is 19,600#. My preference when tying a halyard into the head of a sail is to pass it through the grommet twice to reduce point loading...
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-14-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the 3 propositions above would require a cut. The bowline is really a useful knot!

What we have here is a major case of waiting-for-the-boat-itis.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    What we have here is a major case of waiting-for-the-boat-itis.
    Considering that I've looked for a boat for over 18 months, that I saw this boat in August last year and had a strong feeling about it then. Yeah, you just might be right :-)

Considering that I've looked for a boat for over 18 months, that I saw this boat in August last year and had a strong feeling about it then. Yeah, you just might be right :-)
    You will bring her into the bay before settling somewhere else? A preview, a chance to sail under the gate to see how it will feel upon your return? Give your friends a glimpse up close and personal?

Looks like Jackie's hosting the dock party!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    You will bring her into the bay before settling somewhere else? A preview, a chance to sail under the gate to see how it will feel upon your return? Give your friends a glimpse up close and personal?
    I was thinking of sailing down to RC to unload all the gear and for a thorough clean up. But I'd be happy to stop at a welcoming dock before :-)

But I'd be happy to stop at a welcoming dock before :-)
    Even strangers who throw bags of candy at you would show up!
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.