Page 219 of 628 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229269319 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Bonus points for naming what other famous shipwrecks occurred in the McCULLOCH's vicinity at 9 pm, Sept. 8, 1923, and the cause. 1) Fog 2) Earthquake 3) navigational error of overestimating speed 4) Following orders 5) All of the above.
    On the morning of 8 September 1923, Destroyer Squadron 11 cleared San Francisco on a high-speed training run to San Diego. That evening, as the column of fourteen destroyers closed the entrance to the Santa Barbara Channel in a heavy following sea and reduced visibility, flagship DELPHY led the close formation in a premature course change to port.

Minutes later, after entering a fog bank that concealed the coast, DELPHY crashed into the rocky shorline at 20 knots at Point Pedernales (Honda), two miles north of Point Arguello on the coast of today’s Vandenberg Air Force Base. In a space of five minutes, DELPHY was followed ashore in close order by S.P.LEE, YOUNG, WOODBURY NICHOLAS, FULLER, CHAUNCEY, FARRAGUT, SOMERS and KENNEDY. The latter three were able to back clear and survived the grievous navigational error of follow-the-leader.

Name:  honda.gif
Views: 1084
Size:  302.3 KB

23 sailors died in the foggy darkness, dangerous surf, and frigid waters in the "Tragedy at Honda." Most were rescued and boarded a special rescue train on the nearby tracks for San Diego. Over the next days, waves began breaking up the stranded ships. Today, only partial remains of the CHAUNCEY is still visible from shore. There is a memorial on the cliff above with two weathered plaques. DELPHY's mangled starboard propeller remains on public display outside the Veterans Memorial Building in Lompoc.

Name:  honda.JPG
Views: 782
Size:  49.4 KB

At a General Court Martial Squadron Commander Captain Edward H. Watson and DELPHY'sy’s CO LCdr. Donald T. Hunter were found guilty of culpable inefficiency and negligence. Twenty-three officers and men were recommended for citations for heroism.

Cause of the largest peacetime loss in Navy history was attributed in part or all of the following: 1) Fog 2) Earthquake 3) navigational error of overestimating speed 4) Following orders 5) Not slowing to take soundings.

#2 "Earthquake" is mentioned in several reports. The Tokyo-Yokohama earthquake of 1923, also called Great Kanto earthquake, with a magnitude of 7.9 that struck on September 1, 1923 and killed over 140,000 people in Japan, had severe and long lasting aftershocks. It is possible (no proof exists I could find) that tsunamis generated by this earthquake created nearshore currents that disrupted the destroyer's navigation.

Here is a graphic short (2 minute) historical film taken shortly after the groundings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z80OsCKPtUI
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-04-2017 at 11:29 AM.

I knew about this event, but not any of the specifics....thanks, Skip.

In other news...

As you all know, Alan has a bit of a Scotland fetish. Well, on the west coast of Scotland, on the northern shore of the Clyde river, there are two lochs that veer off the river, northwards. They are Loch Long and the Gare Loch. Branching off of Loch Long is the Holy Loch, the site of the many-decades old US Nuclear Submarine base in Scotland. On the Gare Loch is the British nuclear submarine base. Anyway, these two Lochs have grown their own One-Design boats, which I've written about before on this forum.

Here's a Gareloch Goddess...24 feet of poetry.

An an article about them... http://www.helensburgh-heritage.co.u...ort&Itemid=496

The other design is the Loch Long One Design, rather smaller at 21 feet and 1800 pounds but also a lovely, lovely little boat. You can read about them here: http://www.lochlong.net/about/

Of the 141 Loch Long One Designs built, all that are known to still be afloat are either on Loch Long or at Aldeburgh, Sussex...except two. One is in Brazil, (not floating) as part of an art installation and the other in now in Upstate New York.

In fact, it's in a barn in Cherrytown, New York, on a trailer. It's been stripped of finish, but stored inside so with luck it's not totally destroyed. And the thing is....the current owner will GIVE it to me. Free.

A "free" wooden boat. In New York. Um... just slap me, now.

Right?

But how cool would it be....I would sell the skerry... um.
    Last edited by AlanH; 07-06-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Alan - Go for it! You know the old saying: There's no better value than a free boat. (Not sure I'm remembering it exactly right.)

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Alan - Go for it! You know the old saying: There's no better value than a free boat. (Not sure I'm remembering it exactly right.)

The way I've heard it is "There's no such thing as a free boat." But you should go for it anyway. I sense an emotional attachment.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Or more like, "There's nothing as expensive as a free boat."

But hey, boat ownership is inherently irrational, so go for it.

I think I need to offload the skerry before I can even consider this. I wonder what it would cost to get it to California.

Right. I NEED two boats.

It is a waste of time and energy, attempting to apply LOGIC to boat ownership.

"Going for it" is always entertaining to an observer!

Quote Originally Posted by H Spruit View Post
    It is a waste of time and energy, attempting to apply LOGIC to boat ownership.

"Going for it" is always entertaining to an observer!
    It's only money and time, right? ugh.

I've asked on the Wooden Boat Forum if there's anybody in upstate NY who's knowledgeable about carvel construction who would be willing to go look at it. If it's got a mess of busted frames and rot everywhere then it's a NO. If the frames are sound, most of the planking is sound and ther's minimal to no rot, then maybe it would be worth paying someone to drive it out here.

Maybe.

This is stupid.

It may, or may not be a mistake, but it is only STUPID if you have done it before.:}

Quote Originally Posted by H Spruit View Post
    It may, or may not be a mistake, but it is only STUPID if you have done it before.:}
    HA! Good point. Since I haven't, I can always say that I didn't know any better.