Thread: Position trackers

Default Position trackers

...like the ones the SSS uses for the SHTP. In fact what DOES the SSS use for position tracking?

Affordable? Pricey? I have SPOT Gen3, it was on the boat when I bought it, but that doesn't cover positions 'way out there, as it uses the Globalstar satellite network..

Alan
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-04-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Garmin/Deiorme inReach

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

You need to pay a monthly subscription to have your position web viewable. Ray uses their API to pull positions for our tracker.

we also support the Iridium Go for tracking... similar position pull, slightly different technically, but functionally identical.
    a bit more than the inReach, but you can use it for data/email, as opposed to the inReach which is basically SMS text only.

FWIW

DH

Even though I'm a geek, I have utterly no interest in most of the technology associated with cell phones, as I honestly believe they're a f**k*ng curse. Yes, they're great for making phone calls when you're stuck with a flat tire. I appreciate being able to carry along a really tiny, pretty high quality camera. And yes, I have on occasion used the "map" function when driving. Other than that, I hate them. So I will have to look up "SMS messaging" and learn more.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Since it's free, I urge all SSS skippers to sign on and use their cell phones for tracking SSS races. -- Pat
    Yes, it's "free" but you are also using data/phone minutes the whole time your phone is on. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    but you can use it for data/email, as opposed to the inReach which is basically SMS text only.
    I would never want to question anything DH says but my DeLorme inReach does email as well as text. They both have the same 160 character limit.

Hi Bill -
    You are correct that the internal SMS systems on the GO! and InReach can be sent to, and receive messages from, "normal" email accounts.
    In that sense they don't behave exactly like a cellular text message.

What I was referencing is the GO's ability to act as a wifi hub; which in turn allows you to use an email client to send/receive emails and data from a tablet or laptop.***
    The character limit doesn't enter into the equation in this case.
    File size may vary depending on the data plan and satellite connection duration/strength, and in the case of SailDocs the data limits set by them.

***note: I do not know that this is true for internet based email clients (eg, gmail).
    In fact I am near certain that it does not.
    I do know that SailMail has an approved update that works well with the GO!

Best,

DH

PS - Sorry 'bout the slight thread detour... I'm not advocating one or the other, just pointing out that both are supported both and that they have different capabilities.
    Last edited by DaveH; 09-09-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    What I was referencing is the GO's ability to act as a wifi hub; which in turn allows you to use an email client to send/receive emails and data from a tablet or laptop.***
    Gee, and I felt so smart learning how to use Bluetooth with the InReach so I could type on a keyboard rather than "hunt and peck".