Page 538 of 628 FirstFirst ... 38438488528534535536537538539540541542548588 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,380 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Herreshof design and Herreshof boatyard (historical) or Brooklin boatyard (modern).

Ants
    Big Hint: Don’t fall for Sled’s red herring.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    For Macapuno, if you could see only the bow of this beauty, what could be said about her design and place of build?
    To really really appreciate that bow, one must see what’s underneath. And by the way, that flag is a hint as to where it was built.

Name:  1C5D9E2A-AE3F-4AB8-A3F4-ED3530410561.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  298.1 KB
    Tom P.

It could be said that 20' of her 58' is overhangs - think of the berth rent!

Fife, but the builder is a Thorny question...
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-09-2022 at 10:43 AM.

A boat that actually WAS designed by L.F. Herreshoff is the Araminta ketch. The original 1954 Araminta is currently for sale and so is this one, built in 2000 by Legendary Yachts in WA. I drooled over it when it was new at the Jack London Square boat show. They raced it in OYRA that year and did well, then stuck it in a warehouse where it's been ever since:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ketch-5455423/

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It could be said that 20' of her 58' is overhangs - think of the berth rent! Fife, but the builder is a Thorny question....
    Gentle Sailors: I'm battening down the hatches for storminess to come. For the moment, current explanation to the trivia will be short. Clearly Dazzler. and BobJ are teasing sleddog with their answers. But I will tease them back. Neither fully answered the question as intended, so the Macapuno will remain in the CBC freezer for the moment..

Thanks to Tom (Dazzler) and BobJ, we now know this stunning, 58 foot, 10 meter sloop, RITA IV is a Fife design built by Thornycroft in Denmark for Royalty....But the question, rephrased, is: "if you could only see the bow (not the underbody, sail number, or launching flags," how would you know this is a William Fife design" The answer will get you Macapuno with pomegranate arils, unless TomP chooses to walk over to his local dealer, Andronicos.

Sorry, Ants...But you can still win!

Name:  RITAIV.png
Views: 430
Size:  201.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-09-2022 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    …the question, rephrased, is: "if you could only see the bow (not the underbody, sail number, or launching flags," how would you know this is a William Fife design" The answer will get you Macapuno with pomegranate arils, unless TomP chooses to walk over to his local dealer, Andronicos.
    I’m happy to see this little challenge being held to a high standard. I’d been thinking the we might need an English major to point out that the original question had not yet been addressed.
    Tom P.

https://www.williamfifeyachts.com/the-dragon/

Good Old Boat used to have an illustrated listing of cove stripe "ends" but that page is gone from their site. Maybe I'll cook one up as a matching game.

I was over playing with the Snipe today. It's the same age as Ragtime! and has the same old-school running rigging issue, which I'd fixed on Rags. Any guesses?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    https://www.williamfifeyachts.com/the-dragon/

Good Old Boat used to have an illustrated listing of cove stripe "ends" but that page is gone from their site. Maybe I'll cook one up as a matching game.

I was over playing with the Snipe today. It's the same age as Ragtime! and has the same old-school running rigging issue, which I'd fixed on Rags. Any guesses?
    What? You don’t like wire halyards with rope tails.
    Tom P.

These photos are so gorgeous! Makes the boat look like it's made of alabaster!

I'm in Madison where I visited the workshop of a very competitive iceboat racer. The lakes around town are still "soft" water, so I will come back in March and he will take me out iceboat sailing on a double seater.

Name:  ED48344B-9B35-4655-AB7E-D20A44028A1A.jpeg
Views: 489
Size:  131.1 KB

I should have some good photos cuz my rodeo queen colleague Amy will take 'em.

Name:  EA13D591-EA20-4E48-9B7B-238CA1043DDB.jpeg
Views: 414
Size:  87.1 KB

I'll have to borrow someone's helmet.
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-09-2022 at 07:24 PM.

My lack of extensive knowledge never stopped me from making guesses on what little I know. On slim occasion, the guessing is successful.

Learning a little from each wrong answer.

Cheers,
    Ants