Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Good to see you both out there! What a fun day. It had sprinkled slightly just as we were leaving the dock in Oakland, and though there were dark clouds all around, this little sunbeam stayed with us directly overhead from Fort Mason all the way to the Bay Bridge. It sure does feel good to be out sailing again!!!

It never gets old! I got launched by the ebb after splitting from you and rounding YBI, and saw 8's and 9's (SOG) clear up past the Berkeley Pier. I caught up to Dura Mater again just before turning into RYC.

Well, don’t say I didn’t invite you. Yesterday was a terrific day for sailing. Yes, long underwear was necessary, and a wool hat and a sweater and scarf and wool socks … but the day was wonderful, I repeat, wonderful for sailing. The wind was 10-16 according to Surprise!, she of the fancy instruments.

Name:  IMG-4980.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  188.7 KB

The ebb took us fast fast over to the city front from Richmond, where it then required us to turn on our motor in order to get over toward the Ferry Building. Just so you all know, most of Pier 1½ is currently out of commission because the ramp down to it from its base is broken. Huh. Bob Johnston edged his Alerion 38 Surprise! over onto the south side of the little stub of a main dock. By the time Dura Mater and I arrived Bob had already schmoozed the driver of the Little Yellow Taxi, who moved away in time for us to illegally tie up there in the yellow NoParkingZone. Living dangerously in the City, that was us yesterday.

Name:  IMG-4995.JPG
Views: 528
Size:  238.6 KB

I called Carliane on Kynntana to warn her off, but she was already headed up toward the Bridge with friends anyway. So we went to lunch without them and then headed home in time to cross paths with Kynntana coming ‘round the bend of the Cityfront, back toward her home in Oakland. And here’s where Surprise! crossed the line between being a show-off and just plain rude. While Dura Mater headed for the barn straight from Pier 1½, that Schumacher hull sailed counter clockwise around Treasure Island and still caught up with us as we entered Potrero Reach. In my face rude. And I thought we were friends.
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-04-2019 at 02:29 PM.

And with one mizzen tied behind my back.

Howsumever, when it comes to fancy lunches in The City, I don't get out much.

I wanted this:
    Name:  Bacon Cheeseburger.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  49.7 KB

I ordered what I thought was this:
    Name:  Steak Tartar Sauce.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  23.0 KB

But I was brought this:
    Name:  Steak Tartare.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  43.4 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-06-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Mmmmm, that looks like steak tartare. Don't think I've ever seen it on a menu in the US. I missed out that day, didn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Mmmmm, that looks like steak tartare. Don't think I've ever seen it on a menu in the US. I missed out that day, didn't I?
    Yeah, Bob had surely never seen it on a menu. I don't think they ask you how you want your burger at Carls Junior.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I don't think they ask you how you want your burger at Carl's Junior.
    At least I know Carl's will cook it first.

Not that I'm ungrateful - it was a very nice place and I'm sure there are people (like Gamayun) who appreciate that sort of thing. But really, I thought it would be a steak with tartar sauce. I like tartar sauce.

It was all good. Like all self-reliant singlehanders, I'd brought a sandwich just in case, which I ate as soon as I got back on the boat.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-09-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Doesn't Surprise! have a galley on board with a stove?!? That was likely high quality steak...could have had medium done steaklets in no time.

It was tiny (raw) bits - no steaklets. It looked just like the last photo, egg and all!
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-12-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It was tiny (raw) bits - no steaklets. It looked just like the last photo, egg and all!
    sounds like all the ingredients for a very small meatloaf... or maybe a couple of cupcake sized ones?
    ah - but then you'd need those pans.