Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinghy for Hanalei Bay

Default Dinghy for Hanalei Bay

If anyone that is going to do the next SHTP and is in need of an inflatable dinghy to get back and forth to your boat in Hanalei Bay....do I have a deal for you!!

A 8 foot Achilles hypalon for FREE! Comes with floorboards, pump and 1 oar. It's 5 years old and patched, but doesn't leak

One more thing that you won't have to buy!!!

Will be in the Bay Area at Marina Village with the boat (and dinghy) for only a couple weeks the last part of September

Email Haulback at hotmail dot com
    Jim Kellam
    s/v Haulback

pm sent

dinghy no longer available. Chopped up for future patches and glue-on bits and pieces for it's new replacement.

Would that repair kit be called an Achilles Heal?

(Don't blame me - pun credit to Michael Moradzadeh)

The other day, I was talking to some dock mates and they have a two-person, inflatable kayak from Cosco. I was planning to take a look at something like this because hauling the dinghy to Hanalei (or even during cruise outs around the bay) would be such as pain. I figure groceries, another person, or even a fuel jug can go in the extra seat no problem....

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    The other day, I was talking to some dock mates and they have a two-person, inflatable kayak from Cosco. I was planning to take a look at something like this because hauling the dinghy to Hanalei (or even during cruise outs around the bay) would be such as pain. I figure groceries, another person, or even a fuel jug can go in the extra seat no problem....
    I took a dingy to Hanalei and regretted it. It was a small 8 foot hard transom. The hard transom was a pain. It weighed a ton and was a major pain to deploy from my smaller cockpit area. A soft roll up achilles would work pretty well though. But either way you have to be cautious the darn thing isn't misappropriated when it is on the beach. An inflatable Kayak would be a good and compact option. plus you cold probably get it off the beach without killing yourself. A Kayak would probably handle the surf a bit better too. It absolutely amazing the excitement generated by a two foot shore break.

Funny story - isn't there always. I had the aforementioned dingy tied to my transom while at anchor at Hanalei. Earlier I had been drinking a few beers (fortunately) and got up in the middle of the night to take a leak. Got out to the cockpit in a daze and said "wasn't the dingy here earlier?". Blearily gazing about that beautiful moonlight bay I saw my dingy gently rocking in the swell about 100 feet from the boat. Thankfully there was no wind. It being the tropics, I was dressed down considerably, I think I had my wedding ring on. Anyway without too much forethought I dove in to retrieve the dingy. So there I am in mid dive thinking gee wiz, if I can't get the dingy I won't be able to climb back into the boat and if I can't climb into the boat I am going to have to call for help or swim ashore without a shred of clothing on me. That is going to be embarrassing for all concerned. Then I hit the water and swam like the dickens before the dingy got any further away. Of course all went well and I got back with my dignity intact but it just goes to show that the SHTP is an adventure that just keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Carliane, that's what I had in 2010 and it worked great. Reasonably light, rolls up reasonably small, and I was able to fit multiple jerry jugs in the front seat. And it was good for a nice paddle up the river. I think mine is a Sevylor that I bought off Craigslist. It may be available as a loaner next year, although it'll be 500 miles from SF by then.
    Max

Ooops ... I need a dinghy, kayak, SUP down there?

Nice to have if you're staying aboard in Hanalei Bay. There are no facilities so all boats are anchored, and there's no dinghy service. Something with oars or paddles is fine, especially if you anchor close-in, and less attractive to steal than something with an engine.

But it's not essential. If you're patient you can usually bum a ride with someone else. We kept our VHF's tuned to the race frequency so we could stay in touch.

I plan to be there with a dinghy, PJ. But you'll likely have a pretty long wait between your arrival and mine. :-)
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32