Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Gorgeous boat, but how does the crew clear the keel of streamers (kelp, etc)? https://anasazi-ltda.com/anasazi-gir...6uuoyq1pxwd5uo
    Perhaps a built-in cutter in the leading edge of the keel? (The few I've used leaked alot...)

Quote Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
    Gorgeous boat, but how does the crew clear the keel of streamers (kelp, etc)? https://anasazi-ltda.com/anasazi-gir...6uuoyq1pxwd5uo
    Perhaps a built-in cutter in the leading edge of the keel? (The few I've used leaked alot...)
    Well, why? Gremlins of course!

Anasazi Girl is the old "Spirit of Yukoh", yes?

There is no class for her to race in any more, she won't qualify as a Class 40, but to own Spirit of Yukoh? ...
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Anasazi Girl is the old "Spirit of Yukoh", yes?

There is no class for her to race in any more, she won't qualify as a Class 40, but to own Spirit of Yukoh? ...
    Yes? Wanna start a fund?

Just wondering what you guys think a budget for this would be, taking into consideration the fact that I'd rather keep the duration around 4 months, i.e. with a boat that a guy like me can keep going around 10 kts in most conditions. My preferred approach is the same as what I did for the SHTP. In other words I'd start with a boat that's mostly ready.

Unless a great opportunity knocks ... No, arguably Anasazi Girl is one, so scratch that; unless an unbelievable deal shows up, I'll wait until after the SHTP to move on. I have a tendency to envision grand projects and then putter out (aka la folie des grandeurs).

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Just wondering what you guys think a budget for this would be, taking into consideration the fact that I'd rather keep the duration around 4 months, i.e. with a boat that a guy like me can keep going around 10 kts in most conditions. My preferred approach is the same as what I did for the SHTP. In other words I'd start with a boat that's mostly ready.

Unless a great opportunity knocks ... No, arguably Anasazi Girl is one, so scratch that; unless an unbelievable deal shows up, I'll wait until after the SHTP to move on. I have a tendency to envision grand projects and then putter out (aka la folie des grandeurs).
    Probably around $300,000-$400,000

SHTP, $10K - $40K depending on the boat

You can do a SHTP in a Cal 25 that you bought for $1,000. Don't like Cal 25? There are a zillion other 60's 70's boats that will do it...Pearson Ariel, Columbia Contender, International Folkboat, the list goes on. An IF with an inboard diesel that at least turns over just sold at a lien sale in my marine for $400.

Re-rig, buy a couple of good used sails, plus ground tackle now you're at $3500. Add all the safety gear and race requirements, now you're at about $5500. Make a home-built windvane, probably an auxiliary-rudder-style vane, 'cause they're simple. That's a couple hundred bucks in materials. Put on two Autohelm 1000's and two solar panels and a second battery. $1200. Add another $1,000 because sh^& happens. $800 race fee or whatever it is, now. Prep like crazy. Sail the boat over there. You just did the race for < $10K. When you're done, strip the most expensive gear off and ship that home. Donate the boat, because it's not worth it to pay $10K to send it back.

It can be done. You just have to get over the idea that for example the emergency rudder has to be the hottest thing on the planet, or every single piece of equipment must be carbon fiber and titanium.
    Last edited by AlanH; 04-08-2018 at 09:18 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Probably around $300,000-$400,000
    That seems on the high side. Anasazi Girl is listed for 100k and is ready to go. Let's add 25k to bring the boat here, registration and taxes. Add another 50k for stuff and food and some training for the skipper. That's 175k. The boat may sell for 75k after the trip; so the adventure is 100k, twice what I want to put down. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    That seems on the high side. Anasazi Girl is listed for 100k and is ready to go. Let's add 25k to bring the boat here, registration and taxes. Add another 50k for stuff and food and some training for the skipper. That's 175k. The boat may sell for 75k after the trip; so the adventure is 100k, twice what I want to put down. :-(
    Is this a lower budget, or higher?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990...abuan/Malaysia ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Is this a lower budget, or higher?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990...abuan/Malaysia ?
    Ah, this is funny. You're the second person to point me to that boat. Ibildun III. I was in contact with the owner and the builder. I spoke with boat people for work/sail estimates in the area. The price came down to $15,000 Euro in the end. Ultimately for me the boat didn't have enough ballast for the trip we're considering and I passed. It would also have required that I move there for 2-3 months to re-fit the boat and then sail it back here (a shipping estimate I got was around $35,000). At 15,000 Euro it sold quickly mid February. Although it was a very difficult decision I learned a few things when assessing that boat so it was all good. I wish owners of "rare breed" boats would reason like this owner did. She had it listed at $90,000 then $75,000 then $35,000. It went for 15,000 Euro ...

Although I've put this on the back burner until I'm back from Hanalei I'd like to advertise that I'd like to build a team to support this event and it's not too early to start that.

Now it's not like I'll be able to pay anyone who wants to join. Instead you'd join because you want to improve some skills of yours and you want a goal to motivate yourself, or you'd like to go a step further than reading someone else's blog, or you feel like it's time to give back, or you want to do this trip too and you want a close up before venturing on your own. The list goes on.

I realize we all have busy agenda and when free we like to fill it up with our own stuff. If you think the idea to be part of the onshore team of a non stop solo circumnavigation excites you please drop me a line, even if you're not in San Francisco Bay. Some positions are arm chair jobs. In other words you could do it all from wherever you are.

The bottom line is that I cannot research or do everything on my own and would like to enroll you to help. Here are some examples, some of these could be split if you'd like to do only part of it:

1. Media and marketing: you'd be in charge of all media, including pictures, videos, articles, social media, etc. You'd be in charge of our outside voice and image.

2. Sponsorship: this is totally a wild card. I have it here because I should. Who doesn't try ..

3. Communication equipment: research and advise in all things offshore communication, including safety, satellite, weather forecasts, social media, hardware, software, etc.

4. Boat maintenance: this is not a position where you'd do the work (unless you want to); it's more you'd be in charge of making sure that the boat is maintained properly. You may be relied on to advise on repairs at sea.

5. Sail: you wouldn't stitch a sail (unless you want to); more you'd research best sail choices for the boat and conditions, help build a sail plan decision tree, etc.

6. Routing and weather: right?

7. Safety at sea: all things safety from EPIRB to life jackets to boat design to route choices, etc.

8. Sparring partner(s): one lesson learned with Double Espresso is that doing everything alone is extremely taxing. This is where a sparring partner comes into play.

Feel free to add to the list where you think you could help. The energy that comes from being part of a team is essentially driven by the team's goal and the people dynamics. For now this remains very informal. However should we get something going I will formalize things a bit more.

Newsflash: a seed was planted in the fertile ground of the singlehanded sailing community.
    Response from an anonymous onlooker: "What?!?! You're asking them to team up? What part of singlehanded did you not understand?"