Thread: Round the Rocks, Suggestions ?

Default Round the Rocks, Suggestions ?

I plan to attempt / do the Round the Rocks race.

What would you liked to have known the first time you did this race ?

I have plenty to learn about sailing the Bay and am looking foreword to having fun doing it.
    Any tidbits of local knowledge are good. Might be some good stories too !

I assume it's flooding? Edit - NO, it's the latter part of an ebb - that's good. My stories were from the year it was flooding heavy. Carry on.

(The part about following Gordie and Ruth still works . . .)
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-26-2014 at 10:19 AM.

I learned last year that the rocks of interest are big enough to make a pretty large wind shadow. I cut it close to red rock and nearly fouled a couple fast boats because I didn't have enough boat speed to get my port tacked boat out of their starboard tacked way. Should have taken a wide approach anyway given that boats can round in either direction, and being a noob and on port tack it's best to let the people who know what they're doing play near the rock.
    And being my first trip near the Brothers, I thought it would be cool to get close to the lighthouse/inn thing and check it out, and save some distance. Then the wind shut off and I sat like a duck in the lee of the island waiting for the ebb to finish so I could get around it. Meanwhile, 3 or 4 other slow boats sailed right past me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanikai View Post
    ....given that boats can round in either direction....
    Looking at the directions for this year, I don't think that's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Looking at the directions for this year, I don't think that's an option.
    Ahh -- note to self (& Daydreamer): read the SIs!

As always, thanks to the race committee and the volunteers. We had some fun and some frustration on Saturday. Followed by a spanking going back home across the slot. Good competition and good times overall.

What a fun race with a lot of variety to keep it challenging for this newbie :-) Kudos, as well, to the RC. I especially appreciated the notice over the VHF for each fleet's warning signal because my watch went into timer mode and nothing I did would get it back to the clock setting...before the next race, I'll read the dang instructions once I get some magnifying glasses.

Carliane
    s/v Kynntana

WOW Round the rocks was a freakin' blast. My first trip around the Bay. Other than a ferry boat.
    Had to change the jib, replace a broken tiller, and lost my winch handle. Still managed to get back to Richmond by 17:30.
    My only disappointment is that I didn't have my stuff together and my PHRF ready to be included in the race.
    Can't wait to do it again!
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence