Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Singlehanded Racing -

Default Singlehanded Racing -

Good morning All,
    It appears that everything singlehanded is located up north around SF. Is there anything located in the Southern California area? I'm a long time single hander sailor, and would love to start participating in races, but down here, it's either with a crew and or double handed. Don't have anyone else wanting to sail shorthanded. Thanks.

yes, there is! - you should check out PSSA aka the Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association.
    http://www.pssala.com/

Best,
    DH

Drivn: I feel your pain. I was a longtime SSS member, but when I retired I moved to Borrego Springs and moved my boat to Oceanside, chosen because it's the shortest drive from home. I joined PSSA, but I didn't manage to make any of their races last year and got to exactly one this year, thanks largely to a series of engine problems. And once, too much wind - can you believe it?

It's something like 70 miles from Oceanside to Marina del Rey where PSSA operates, so it takes a certain amount of dedication and time to get to their races. And their summer races are so short - 15 to 20 miles - that I won't even bother.

Where are you located? I've talked with a couple of other racers in Oceanside who are interested in singlehanding. Maybe we should all try to cook something up together. I've even thought of contacting the PSSA board to see if they would be willing to have a Southern Division under their auspices.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    I've even thought of contacting the PSSA board to see if they would be willing to have a Southern Division under their auspices.

Max
    Why not a Southern Division under the auspices of the SSS? Just out of San Diego itself there are three of us from the 2018 SHTP, plus other locals with several SHTP's in their wakes.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

On Saturday, August 3, there is a singlehanded/doublehanded pursuit race in San Diego. Don't need your own PHRF certificate to enter, a PHRF rating for a sister ship will suffice (or maybe a friendly note to the RC). This helps keep the cost low for the infrequent racer.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/17876#_home

Last year 13 boats entered. Would be great to have more participation.
    Last edited by DLC99; 07-14-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    David
    S/V PASSAGES
    Olson 30

Quote Originally Posted by DLC99 View Post
    On Saturday, August 3, there is a singlehanded/doublehanded pursuit race in San Diego.
    Hey, that's right. I knew about that one, but I didn't pay a lot of attention because there's a charity regatta in Oceanside that weekend. Maybe I'll scoot down to SD instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Hey, that's right. I knew about that one, but I didn't pay a lot of attention because there's a charity regatta in Oceanside that weekend. Maybe I'll scoot down to SD instead.
    Who was the guy with the mini 6.5 that tried to start up a So Cal run to Hawaii two years ago. Was that Jerome Sammarcelli?..Shaka Challenge? I bet he'd be interested.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Who was the guy with the mini 6.5 that tried to start up a So Cal run to Hawaii two years ago. Was that Jerome Sammarcelli?..Shaka Challenge? I bet he'd be interested.
    Jerome actually pulled it off, and it appears it will go again in 2020.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

He tried to call it the Mini Transpac, but got shot down by the TPYC's very aggressive IP lawyers. I can't remember what they called it. They had 2 or 3 starters? There is sailboat crazy, and then there is Mini sailboat crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    He tried to call it the Mini Transpac, but got shot down by the TPYC's very aggressive IP lawyers. I can't remember what they called it. They had 2 or 3 starters? There is sailboat crazy, and then there is Mini sailboat crazy.

It is the Shaka Challenge .