Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone looked into shipping home yet?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    If you are thinking of selling the boat rather than shipping or sailing it back, please let me know. A friend of mine here in Hilo is looking for an ocean-worthy sail boat. PM me here or send email to me at lee [dot] johnson [at] q [dot] com.
    Will's boat? Whoa! Now THAT'S a boat to buy! I can't imagine a prettier or better prepared yacht (sorry, Bob, but it IS a Hinckley). It's just a wee bit too big for me, otherwise I would be interested myself. What do you say, Will? That would avoid the whole delivery issue.

I took Lee's inquiry to be more general to the fleet.

Some boats should not be sold. Hinckleys often stay in the family and get handed down.

Will should have no trouble finding a delivery crew. Just don't let them eat all the profiteroles.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I took Lee's inquiry to be more general to the fleet.

. . .
    Yep, this just seemed to be the section of the forum where the post would draw attention of prospective sellers in the fleet.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Thanks everyone for trying to help me out. But Sea Wisdom is not for sale in Kauai. Bob is right, I intend to keep her for as long as I can. I have secured an excellent delivery captain to bring her back. However, it is the insurance in 2021 that is creating a roadblock. The new rule for 2021 is that a carrier would not underwrite a policy to sail the boat across the ocean after a singlehanded race. Without insurance, unfortunately I can't hire anyone to sail her back. I just spoke with Larry Conklin today. He was kind enough to look for a surveyor for me in HI. He is also baffled by the insurance roadblock. The SER for SHTP is far more stringent than a typical cruising boat.

I didn't have this problem in 2020. If anyone knows any insurance company that would underwrite this, please let me know. This is becoming the most difficult part of the race planning, sigh...

However, I am not ruling out of bringing back Sea Wisdom by myself along with the rest of fleet. Seems like it will be a good turnout for the return trip.

Had that insurance problem in 2012... no insurance to get to Hawaii singlehanded... and required a survey in Hawaii to get insurance for the delivery home... which turned out to be way too complex (fly a surveyor from Oahu... maybe maybe not with a written survey (a few days after the survey) one "might get lucky and get the insurance company to give the insurance... one week on Hanalei is just not long enough to pull this off... so no insurance either direction in 2012... and same deal for 2018 PacCup where insurance starting asking lots of additional questions two weeks before the start and couldn't get their act together before the start. So another race with no insurance both ways. Which is going to happen again this year. Now the 2022 PacCup I have a bit of a chance to get insurance both ways... I am starting the conversation with my insurance company early... like right now as I renew it for the coming year (its getting the offshore "rider" that is the challenge). Now my boat is not worth much... if she goes down at sea, c'est la vie... like a warrior dying in battle. Its the people on board that insurance is for...

Agreed with you, Jim. I'm getting the insurance for the crew on board. For the years that you didn't have insurance for the crew, did you all have to sign a mutual "hold harmless" agreement?

I got the impression from Larry that most boats will end up at Nawiliwili. This is for boats that are being shipped back (for obvious reasons) and also for boats that are preparing to sail back because according to Larry, it's just much easier to provision and refuel the boats from Nawiliwili. I am just curious from the past SHTP participants who sailed back, how much time was your boat spent in Hanalei Bay vs Nawiliwili? I would think refueling a 100G+ tank is quite a bit of work from the beach. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seawisdom View Post
    . . . how much time was your boat spent in Hanalei Bay vs Nawiliwili? I would think refueling a 100G+ tank is quite a bit of work from the beach. Thanks!
    After the 2018 race I spent 5 days in each. Some boats from our fleet sailed back straight from Hanalei, but I think most visited Nawiliwili for re-provisioning and fuel, and in my case to await parts being shipped for needed repairs.

Fuel will be enough work from Nawiliwili, but not nearly as bad as doing it off the beach. There was no fuel dock then and no reason to think there's one now, so jerry jugs to the gas station is the usual drill. Still, a lot easier to carry them down the dock than down the beach etc. For your amount of fuel you might ask the crews on the charter fishing boats in the harbor about getting in touch with a local fuel supplier -- someone with a big tank in the bed of a truck and a dispenser pump with a hose that reaches down the dock to the boats.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Going with no insurance... liability waiver (hold harmless) is not enforceable... maritime law is quite special... Jones Act... keep in mind you are not in the US for most of the voyage so its not US law... so if you are not on the boat (and if you are on the boat, only with friends you really really trust...) yes you need insurance... so best bet is sail to Oahu for the survey and get your insurance for the trip home... spend a week at Keehi Marine for your survey and getting sorted and have a few drinks at Mariana - the bar you can see on Magnum PI which is just a hole in the fence from Keehi Marine. Now the sail to Oahu is another story for another day (it can be rough).

Now back to Fuel...
    I buy four 5 gal jenny jugs at the Princeville Ace hardware... and each morning - starting with a large coffee at 8am - fill them at the Princeville gas station and carry them to the boat (car/dinghy or blowup kayak) pouring into two 50 fuel bladders and 33 gallon main tank. By Friday all tanks full (I leave with 110 gal so I have "choices" on the way home... sail over a high, motor thru a high or two, motor last 100 miles (4 of the last six trips home was no wind the last 50-100 miles). One might get lucky and find a friendly cruiser anchored in Hanalei with a nice dinghy with outboard making this easier ($20 per rountrip with a latte for his wife 8am every morning worked for me in 2012... Eric and Emmy who have their boat at RYC at the moment who were in Hanalei on the way back to SF from a south pacific cruise).

Quote Originally Posted by seawisdom View Post
    I am just curious from the past SHTP participants who sailed back, how much time was your boat spent in Hanalei Bay vs Nawiliwili?
    I did the same routine the last two races. Spend five or six days in Hanalei sharing serious tree time and the yellow house with the other finishers and your new best friends, then off to Nawiliwili for maybe a week to provision, plus being next to the Nawiliwili YC for the awards ceremony and dinner. Not sure where the awards will be held this year but Nawiliwili is the best place to be for provisioning, and an interesting place to visit but not a big fan of the non-floating concrete docks.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37