Page 500 of 628 FirstFirst ... 400450490496497498499500501502503504510550600 ... LastLast
Results 4,991 to 5,000 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

That's a great photo, Skip. Maybe shop it to the Santa Cruz boardwalk media?

OK, Hotshots. Attached are 3 photos of the new IMOCA scow bow CHARAL. Look closely, what on this other worldy boat was designed and first used to good effect 60 years ago? No, not the bow, hydrofoils, kick-up rudders or recessed Garski beer can holders.

Name:  Charal.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  CHARAL1.jpeg
Views: 518
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  Charal3.jpeg
Views: 658
Size:  135.3 KB

Last evening, CBC galley had to substitute Marianne's Peach Icecream for PJ's prize. Seems Macapuno is OS at local supply outlets. For extra credit on the above CHARAL trivia, who first invented Peach Ice Cream:
    1. George and Martha Washington. 2. Abe Lincoln 3. Gustave Eiffel 4. Sonny Barger 5. Marianne Faithful 6. Ants Uiga's grandfather.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-14-2022 at 07:53 PM.

First of all, I've gotta say that I can just see Philippe sitting there at your table/counter eating bowl after bowl of ice cream. Shortly after he won the SHTP Synthia, Brian, PJ, Lee Roper and I all walked up from the Little Yellow House to Hanalei Town and I bought him coconut ice cream. I love Hanalei Bay for memories like those.

Oh yes. The trivia: My guess is George and Martha Washington. Gustave Eiffel was the chef who invented peach melba. Is this really the same as peach ice cream?

Happy national peach ice cream day.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-14-2022 at 09:05 PM.

It was Sonny, We all know how much the angles love ice cream

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Oh yes. The trivia: My guess is George and Martha Washington. Gustave Eiffel was the chef who invented peach melba. Is this really the same as peach ice cream? Happy national peach ice cream day.
    Leave it to Philpott to win extra credit by guessing correctly that George Washington cut down the cherry tree, but Martha invented peach icecream and credited her husband...However, with DAZZLER, SURPRISE, TORTUGA, EYRIE, KYNNTANA, and others out of town on extended passages, the answer to what on CHARAL is 60 years old remains the prize, and should be be easy pickings for someone sitting in the back of the room.

While on the passage thing, congrats to Charles Casey on Cal-40 RIFF RIDER on winning the recent Long Pac. Hint: Cal 40's and CHARAL have this one thing in common.

Oh, I'm gonna get fat at your house. Bring. It. On.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Oh, I'm gonna get fat at your house. Bring. It. On.
    You didn't win anything with the extra credit without answering the CHARAL trivia. PS, Though I am the caretaker and Howard is the Port Captain, CBC is not my house and is open to members and visitors alike.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-14-2022 at 09:42 PM.

I'd have to guess it's the folding propeller.
    Tom K.

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Craft View Post
    I'd have to guess it's the folding propeller.
    Tom K.
    Bingo, Tom! Before Walter Beck and his Martec company came out with folding props for the masses in ~1964, boats with auxiliaries were much slower under sail, up to 15%, dragging their solid props. The prop on CHARAL looks like a Martec or similar...
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-15-2022 at 07:09 AM.

Last evening, CBC galley had to substitute Marianne's Peach Icecream for PJ's prize. Seems Macapuno is OS at local supply outlets. For extra credit on the above CHARAL trivia, who first invented Peach Ice Cream:
    1. George and Martha Washington. 2. Abe Lincoln 3. Gustave Eiffel 4. Sonny Barger 5. Marianne Faithful 6. Ants Uiga's grandfather.[/QUOTE]

Now that the question has been answered, a few details about Joosep Uiga can be safely posted without influencing the outcome. Joosep was born 1884 and died 1954. Even though Joosep was alive after I was born, there was no travel between USA and Communist occupied Estonia. There may have been ice cream at the Tsar’s summer home in Estonia ( up to the time of the Bolshevik revolution), but my grandparents would never have been close to the kitchens were it was made or served.

Joosep’s father benefitted from the Tsar’s decree that abolished serfdom, but the Baltic Germans that were the lords of the area were fickle in implementing the end of serfdom.

Ants